Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Travel Warning: Don't Pack a Pelican

Started by cmm1970 ·

  • 116Posts
  • 116Replies

Read-only discussion

Travel Warning: Don't Pack a Pelican

116 posts
  1. the only problem is that the guys stealing stuff in PR may also be the same guys manning the X-Ray machine.
    Which is why any perceived measure based upon exterior appearance is ineffective as far as airports are concerned. If they can see inside your bag, they really don't have to have any regard whatsoever for what it looks like on the outside.

     

    And it doesn't even have to be a situation where the guy manning the x-ray machine or doing the physical search is doing the stealing. It only has to be a case where he communicates with others, be it by voice, by sign, by marking, or by whatever line of communication allows him/her to let others know what cases/bags/boxes/luggage will be productive. And I doubt that a thief, having been advised a certain case has expensive camera gear, will refuse to steal from it because the case happens to be an old Igloo, looks like any other suitcase or is orange or yellow in color.

  2. Which is why any perceived measure based upon exterior appearance is ineffective as far as airports are concerned. If they can see inside your bag, they really don't have to have any regard whatsoever for what it looks like on the outside.

     

    And it doesn't even have to be a situation where the guy manning the x-ray machine or doing the physical search is doing the stealing. It only has to be a case where he communicates with others, be it by voice, by sign, by marking, or by whatever line of communication allows him/her to let others know what cases/bags/boxes/luggage will be productive. And I doubt that a thief, having been advised a certain case has expensive camera gear, will refuse to steal from it because the case happens to be an old Igloo, looks like any other suitcase or is orange or yellow in color.

     

    i have read that xray is not a "standard", a dog sniffing for drugs and explosives are standards protocols, but xrays are "random"

  3. i have read that xray is not a "standard", a dog sniffing for drugs and explosives are standards protocols, but xrays are "random"

     

    Not only that, but if they DO xray your bags and the guy running the machine is part of a theft ring (or just a lone thief), there's NOTHING you can do. Therefore, I DO think the external appearance of the bag can make a BIG difference in reducing the chance of it being opened/pilfered, especially in third world countries where many of us travel.

     

    The final straw that caused me to sell all my Pelican cases (4 as I recall) was when I returned from a trip a couple of years ago, and my big checked Pelican--on which I had placed two TSA locks--had one lock completely gone, and the other all twisted out of shape (by pliers or some other such tool). Apparently, whoever tore off the first one got interrupted or frustrated tearing the second one off. But I have little doubt that they partially targeted the case because Pelicans practically shout "expensive camera gear inside!"

     

    The solution of Mike O. and many others here (i.e., use a "normal" looking case and create your own internal padding) is a good one, and seems effective from the anecdotal evidence I've seen thus far.

     

    My own decision was to buy a couple of Lightware cases (available at B&H), which are hard-sided, but wrapped in nylon so they don't really LOOK hard. They're unusual enough that I don't think they draw attention or look like camera gear, especially if you cut off the Lightware labels, do a purposely sloppy job of spray painting something obtuse on the outside, and rub dirt all over them to make them look old and "industrial." Here's one of mine (before I cut the label off):

    ACME%20Hose%20and%20Chain%20-%20shrunken.jpg

    Edited by bmyates
  4. I think it's still very important to carry whatever you can on board with you as the best policy. At bare minimum a camera, 1 strobe, housing, 1 port and 1 lens so that at least you're not SOL with nothing to use on a trip if something does get lost damaged or stolen. I can get this bare minimum in a pretty small bag if I have to, with the camera in the housing etc.

  5. I think it's still very important to carry whatever you can on board with you as the best policy. At bare minimum a camera, 1 strobe, housing, 1 port and 1 lens so that at least you're not SOL with nothing to use on a trip if something does get lost damaged or stolen...

     

    I agree completely. I always take the camera and housing, a few lenses (macro, mid-range fish lens) that I can use with the macro port (dome is too big for carry-on), plus at least one strobe, and all the essential cords, etc. so that if my checked bags got totally lost, I wouldn't be SOL - I'd at least have a complete camera setup to use for that trip.

  6. i have read that xray is not a "standard", a dog sniffing for drugs and explosives are standards protocols, but xrays are "random"
    In the US and it's territories all checked bags are run thru X-rays and most also pass a CT. Most other (I hate to use this word) developed countries follow the same or more stringent protocols.

     

    But even if one doesn't believe that machines tip off what's in the luggage or find solice in the fact that machines don't exist at every airport in the world, these thieves don't live in dark holes only to see daylight when they go to work at the airport. They work at airports like we work at our jobs......a lot. They know precisely what tactics are in favor for trying to fool them at any given time. They know what they are looking for and they know how to find it and they know how to get it out of the airport.

     

    After having traveled with photo gear for a little over 26 years and having become somewhat numb to the threat of theft because I have seen too much of it to think there is any real protection from it, I don't believe we are ever going to fool these thieves by any of the tactics mentioned in this thread. I have come to accept that there are a few key things which, for the most part, cannot be hidden. If it is heavy, if it is in something hardsided (regardless of whether or not it "looks" soft-sided) or if it looks dissimilar to general baggage (Igloos, stencils, pelicans, etc.) any thief worth his salt will give it the once over......at least.

     

    When we travel with gear we are playing craps at a casino. And the house sees people playing craps every day of every year, and there ain't no tactic we can employ that they are not aware of.

  7. I think it's still very important to carry whatever you can on board with you as the best policy. At bare minimum a camera, 1 strobe, housing, 1 port and 1 lens so that at least you're not SOL with nothing to use on a trip if something does get lost damaged or stolen. I can get this bare minimum in a pretty small bag if I have to, with the camera in the housing etc.
    While I agree with the premise, I have found it more and more difficult, and in the case of my last two trips to both PNG and Raja, impossible. Garuda Air and Lion Air wieghed my carry-on and made me hand check it. And leaving Brisbane for Pt. Moresby AN weighed my carry-on and also made me check it. So in my last two cases of using local carriers with stringent weight policies the prospect of being certain to have a usable camera/hosuing setup in hand was not realized, though I did seem to find some measure of calm in the fact that it was highly unlikely my photo case and carry-on (checked) would be stolen at the same time ;)
  8. So with these airlines that have strict weight limits for carry-ons, do they make you check the bag from the ticket counter or from the gate counter? Maybe its just me, but I feel that I get some peace of mind if I have to gate check a bag knowing that its less likely to see the bowels and that it only has to make the short trip from the gate/boarding area to the baggage hold of the plane.

     

    I haven't been asked to check my carry ons yet, other than a gate check on smaller planes that have limited or no overhead storage.

  9. ...I did seem to find some measure of calm in the fact that it was highly unlikely my photo case and carry-on (checked) would be stolen at the same time ;)

     

    :D:lol::blink: Now that's looking on the bright side! :blink:

  10. Unfortunatly airlines are jipping the carry-ons these days. I tried to carry on my housing and cameras and lenses and they refused to let me (TACA) due to the weight. It was forego the trip or risk the cameras and housing. I had to pack everything in my checked just to get my laptop and some other critical items oin the carry on 22 pound limit that was heavily enforced. I am not in the market to re-engineer how I pack.

     

    Beware.

     

    Joe

  11. So with these airlines that have strict weight limits for carry-ons, do they make you check the bag from the ticket counter or from the gate counter? Maybe its just me, but I feel that I get some peace of mind if I have to gate check a bag knowing that its less likely to see the bowels and that it only has to make the short trip from the gate/boarding area to the baggage hold of the plane.

     

    I haven't been asked to check my carry ons yet, other than a gate check on smaller planes that have limited or no overhead storage.

    It depends. Qantas, who I haven't flown in 5 or 6 years used to position keepers at the entrance to the ramp and they would check every carry-on that was about to board the plane. AN weighed my bag at the check-in counter and Lion Air and Garuda made me do a gate check.

     

    Still, the carry-on I use for my housing, camera, lenes etc. is not as sturdy as my photo cases, so anytime I have to check it (whether at the gate or the counter) it I get very concerned about damage to the equipment. The bags are still tossed around when loading and unloading the plane.

  12. Planning a trip to BOnaire in March 2007. I am now scared reading this post... I assume that I can carry on the critical stuff........ ie, scuba gear, beer $, and camera stuff.... They can have the rest... leifpeterson@bellsouth.net

  13. I've got a long haul flight planned from Calgary, through San Fransisco to Singapore. I can pack all my gear in a Pelican 1550 which just barely exceeds the requirements for carry on luggage size (0.5" in one dimension) by United and Singapore Airlines (who I'm flying with), but exceeds the weight requirements since it weighs 35 lb. full. I'm thinking that I should be ok as I have never seen a carryon weighed before.

     

    The other option is to pack it into another suitcase and fill the remaining space with clothes. However, I don't really want to check this luggage. Does anyone have experience trying to carry on a case of this size and weight? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

  14. Does anyone have experience trying to carry on a case of this size and weight? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

     

    I use the same case, and I've travelled rather extensively with it. Its been to Roatan (TACA), Cozumel (Continental), Dominica (Continental & American Eagle), Bonaire (Air Jamaica), and Bali (EVA and Contiental). No one's even looked at it twice.

     

    Inside the case goes Aquatica housing, macro and dome port, two S&S strobes, arms, handles, chords, zoom/focus rings, extension ring. The trouble is making the darn thing look light! The camera/lenses/batteries/chargers/etc. go in a Lowepro Orion Trekker backback. I'm looking into a different way of packing everything. I feel I could get more stuff in a smaller space if I really tried. Of course the weight will still be an issue.

  15. Just be careful if going through anything European. The carry on size is now 56cm x 45cm x 25cm with this being the only bag (laptop and everything else must go inside it) with a 5 to 6 kg (11 to 13lb) weight limit supposedly more and more strictly enforced. The 25cm dimension used to be 26cm and those bags are being rejected. The baggage weight is generally 20kg (44lb) maybe with an extra 10kg for certain specified sports equipment. Overweight charges can be horrendously high.

     

    Charles Stirling from the UK and having problems with flying and baggage.

  16. Just be careful if going through anything European. The carry on size is now 56cm x 45cm x 25cm with this being the only bag (laptop and everything else must go inside it) with a 5 to 6 kg (11 to 13lb) weight limit supposedly more and more strictly enforced. The 25cm dimension used to be 26cm and those bags are being rejected. The baggage weight is generally 20kg (44lb) maybe with an extra 10kg for certain specified sports equipment. Overweight charges can be horrendously high.

     

    Charles Stirling from the UK and having problems with flying and baggage.

    the one piece rule is UK only, ie flying out of the UK not Europe wide.

    France, Germany, Spain and Belgium (all tried on a trip this week) will allow more than one piece of carry on. Only had the size of my carry on checked in the UK...

    Edited by 3@5
  17. I'm still using a wheeled Igloo, with gaffer's tape over the hasp and a strap over the top and bottom. I've been using Igloos off and on for over 20 years now, and although they are regularly inspected for dead fish, I've never had anything stolen.

     

    I'm carrying my cameras and lenses in a storm case, and my computer in a backpack, but the housing and strobes go in the Igloo.

     

    Eric

    www.ehanauer.com

  18. Just be careful if going through anything European. The carry on size is now 56cm x 45cm x 25cm with this being the only bag (laptop and everything else must go inside it) with a 5 to 6 kg (11 to 13lb) weight limit supposedly more and more strictly enforced. The 25cm dimension used to be 26cm and those bags are being rejected. The baggage weight is generally 20kg (44lb) maybe with an extra 10kg for certain specified sports equipment. Overweight charges can be horrendously high.

     

    Charles Stirling from the UK and having problems with flying and baggage.

     

    I am seriously contemplating driving or using the train to get to Paris/Amsterdam for my trips out of the country in the future for this exact reason.

  19. I am about to go through San Juan .. bags checked through to tortola for me .. not sure what I am going to do about the housing and camera yet.

     

    frantically looking for insurance and another option than my pelican case.

  20. I'm with Eric, I've used wheeled Igloos for many years. The only problem is that they are so big and I have had security actually cut through the closing clasp when they could've just opened the darn thing. Last year I found a real ratty dive bag with all the zippers busted and rusted except the central zipper for the main compartment. No one would want anything from inside such a cruddy bag. I put my pelican case in that, closed the only zipper that worked and sent that through. It worked like a charm.

    Steve B)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.