I am getting a Seahorse Carry on case....it's a bit bigger than the Pelican 1510 but weighs the same. I am traveling through the US and am a little concerned. I love the toughness of the case how it's watertight.
Hopefully, I won't have my gear bag weighed. I am going to attempt to carry ALL my camera gear (Fisheye Focus light, strobes and all). If I do get stopped and told to check it, I will remove the housing, camera, Lenses, TTL convertor and Fisheye focus light, place it in a canvas fold up bag and hand carry it! I use 1.85lb UMPC as my laptop when I travel so no issues there.
As an added precaution, I plan to have a second fold up bag to place the hardcase in and have prepared a little note with a ziploc containing zipties and a kind request to TSA agents to please ziptie the case up IF they have to bust my TSA lock.
I figure that 2nd hand strobes/arms are not worth the effort to a thief. DON"T give the ba$tards a chance to get a complete set of gear! IF they manage to sniff out my disguised hard case first.... Oh yeah...my Atomics T2 Reg comes with me too. I wear my dive computer as a watch when I travel. thats what the D9 is for.
Turkish airlines is how I have been flying internationally. Their business class is great and really cheap. I get TWO handcarry and 1 personal item on ALL flights and if anywhere outside of the US, due to my frequent flyer status, I get 110lbs (50kg) as my check in allowance. Oh....when I travel with a partner on business class, the partner's ticket is 50% off!
To get to Elite status, I think it only took two long haul business class flights. Status stays the same for two years. Worth every penny....
Now I just gotta get back to the gym so I can make my Seahorse case look as if I have filled it with Styrofoam.... Good tip here about those allen keys too. I will pack them with the rest of my dive gear and not in the carry on!