Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Removing scratches from a dome port

Started by rschrager ·

  • 185Posts
  • 185Replies

Read-only discussion

Removing scratches from a dome port

185 posts
  1. 1 hour ago, davehicks said:

    Get some actual micro mesh.  It's nine grades from 1500 - 12,000.  And why in the world are you using brasso?  Also take off the Hood so you can access the whole dome.

    Sit down with a bowl of water, a few towels, and watch a movie for TWO hours while you go through the nine grades.  It seems like you took a short cut with just three.  And get rid of the brasso, you don't need that.

     

    https://www.amazon.com/SANDING-SHEETS-INTRODUCTORY-Peachtree-Woodworking/dp/B000H6HIK2/ref=asc_df_B000H6HIK2/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345024990910&psc=1

    Read my post. I wanted to see if the technique (used by the guy in the youtube video) worked.

  2. 1 hour ago, Isaac Szabo said:

    Though I certainly had better results than yours, I was never fully satisfied with my results using things like micromesh, brasso, etc. My domes were usable afterwards but not perfect (still a tad hazy). More recently I purchased an inexpensive ($70) benchtop buffer and got near-perfect results (and with so much less effort). Just be sure to use a soft buffing wheel and a compound made for plastics if you go this route, and obviously keep the dome moving (buffing the same spot too long could lead to problems).

    Worth a try. Thanks for your input!

  3. 9 minutes ago, CUR-Diver said:

    Read my post. I wanted to see if the technique (used by the guy in the youtube video) worked.

    But why? There are 7 pages here over several years with people explaining how to do it properly.  Why follow some youtube bozo?

  4. In case anyone reading this still needs help, I did a short video on how to use Novus to remove scratches;




    Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

  5. With acrylic, i have found the 3 steps chemical, a great solution, glass is another whole thing though

  6. Hi,

    Does anyone know where to find the MICROMESH NC-78-1 KIT ACRYLIC RESTORE KIT in any country excluding UK?

    I contacted the distributor for Europe but is located in UK, and with Brexit the shipping and customs cost is twice the cost of the kit itself, it make nonsense for me to be honest.

    I would appreciate somewhere to buy the kit in an EU country. It seems I cannot find it using Google.

    I also tried some links on this topic but they don’t work anymore.

    Thank you very much.

  7. 20 hours ago, Cerianthus said:

    Thank you very much for the links, I will have a look.

     

    Any idea how to find the other components of the kit:

    Bottle Micro-Gloss Liquid Abrasive

    Bottle Anti-Static Cream

    Bottle Detergent: I suppose any detergent will do.

    Instructions?

     

    Thanks again.

     

  8. The stiff drink prior to beginning with MicroMesh is critical.

    Someone else may have mentioned this, but there are a couple of videos of someone doing this on YouTube. It's a reassuring when you watch one of those first.

  9. I've tried to rub toothpaste in circular moves. Never worked, I'm doing any good?

  10. Acrylic?

    I use Novus and it works.

    Deep scratches will be visible to your eyes but will be invisible to your lens underwater.

  11. DP-100 glass minidome. Scratch removed with toothpaste and a microfiber cloth.

    01111831_2.jpg

  12. I did the same to my Back Scatter wet dome.  I contacted Back Scatter and they were able to replace the dome portion only for me for a reasonable price.

  13. On 4/28/2022 at 8:06 PM, joncroweucl said:

    DP-100 glass minidome. Scratch removed with toothpaste and a microfiber cloth.

    01111831_2.jpg

    Any special toothpaste?

  14. On 8/24/2022 at 8:54 PM, stillviking said:

    Any special toothpaste?

    Nope, Sensodyne if memory serves. Just put on a movie, apply a pea of toothpaste and get scrubbing with your microfibre.

    People might balk at remove the anti-flare/ghosting coating etc but I took this toothpaste-polished dome on the WetPixel Red Sea Odyssey and could not tell where the treated area of the dome was upon inspection when assembling my rig or in the resulting pictures.  

  15. Great information! Thanks 

  16. On 6/16/2005 at 10:50 AM, rschrager said:

    Taking a good stiff drink first...

    This first step is critical if you're doing this for the first time.

    This video may help with your confidence as well...

     

  17. Last time i tried to fix my acrylic dome i ended up gouging and putting a flat spot on it and having to buy a new one completely.

     

    Got an obvious scratch on this one too and not sure i want to risk physically destroying a 2nd one to get it out.

    Edited by String

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.