Fairly Pricing

theocean

How do you people go about fairly pricing items with little or no price history?

I'm selling pretty much all of my UW gear and need a benchmark or a ballpark.

Thanks!

I think youve now seen the thread about this. 

But tell us what you’re trying to sell and I’m sure you’ll get some suggestions. 

• Like 1

depends on how new the item is, but mostly you will get around 50-60% what msrp was, unless it's a highly desired item/housing/strobe.  then it's maybe 70-80%. 

• Like 2

Here goes the list. @TimG, yes, I saw the post and was very helpful. I've also done some more digging and have a seed in mind.

• Sony A1 Body camera (Adding 2 extra batteries and a 64GB Extreme PRO UHS-II SDXC Memory Card)
  • Sony CFexpress Type A Memory Card 320GB (Adding a USB-C CFexpress Type A card reader)
  • Nauticam NA-A1 Underwater Housing For Sony Α1 Camera
  • Nauticam M14 Vacuum Valve II System: Pushbutton Release
  • Nauticam Full Frame Angle Viewfinder 0.8:1
  • Nauticam N100 To N120 35.5Mm Port Adaptor II
  • Nauticam SFE2860-Z Zoom Gear: Sony FE 28-60mm F4-5.6 Lens
  • Sony FE 28-60mm F4-5.6 Full-Frame Compact Zoom Lens (SEL2860)
  • Nauticam WACP-1 0.36X Wide Angle Conversion Port Underwater Lens Port
  • Sigma MC-11 Mount Converter/Lens Adapter (Sigma EF-Mount Lenses to Sony E) Never used
  • Zen Underwater - 230mm dome
  • Nauticam N100 Macro Port 110 For Sony FE 90mm F/2.8 & Sigma 105mm F/2.8 Macro Lenses
  • Nauticam SGE105-F Focus Gear for Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG DN Macro Art
  • Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG DN Macro Art Lens (Sony E)
  • Nauticam SMC-1 67mm Super Macro Converter 1 Lens
  • BACKSCATTER REMOTE LIGHTING MUCK STICK
  • UW Technics HSS 11075 Optical/Electrical TTL-Converter for Sony (Nauticam Housing)
  • Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Cable II M/2 - Medium 18 Inch (x2)
  • Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Cable II M/2 - Long 29 Inch (x2)
  • Retra Flash Pro X (x2)
    • LSD Ultimate for Retra Flash
    • Reduction ring (x2)
    • Macro rings (x2)
    • Retra Neoprene protectors (x2)
    • Bumpers (x2)
    • Wide angle diffuser (x2)
    • White diffuser (x2)
    • Supercharger X (x2)
  • Powerex MH-C980 Turbo Charger Analyzer for AA/AAA Batteries (brand new/unpacked)
  • Nikon 105mm AF-S VR Macro, f/2.8G IF-ED Lens
  • Sigma fisheye 15mm f2.8 EX DG

Cameras, lenses, adapters etc you can generally price looking at Ebay auction results, filtering for completed sales.  You could also look at Keh.com or other second hand stores and ask for a little less than them as they offer warranties on items they sell.  Directions for doing this on Ebay here:  https://litcommerce.com/blog/how-to-see-sold-items-on-ebay/ 

I usually look for completed items.

Another factor to consider is that camera specific items like housings will realise a lower % of new price than items like your 45° viewfinder which can be used on nearly any Nauticam housing.  Similarly for strobes, domes and WACP which are more widely able to be used regardless of camera brand/model. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chris Ross said:

Cameras, lenses, adapters etc you can generally price looking at Ebay auction results, filtering for completed sales.  You could also look at Keh.com or other second hand stores and ask for a little less than them as they offer warranties on items they sell.  Directions for doing this on Ebay here:  https://litcommerce.com/blog/how-to-see-sold-items-on-ebay/ 

I usually look for completed items.

Another factor to consider is that camera specific items like housings will realise a lower % of new price than items like your 45° viewfinder which can be used on nearly any Nauticam housing.  Similarly for strobes, domes and WACP which are more widely able to be used regardless of camera brand/model. 

Yes, I always use keh.com as a reference. Thanks a lot for the Ebay link! 

I wrote a long text which disappeared before posting (????)

Here's a quick summary.....

Basically be prepared to break it up as others said. Be open to selling strobes, cords, or whatever might be usable on various systems.

Be realistic how much you've used an item. Clearly state it works NOW, but it's USED. Too many buyers want pristine new condition for dirt cheap. Not fair to the seller in my opinion.

Selling is also emotional because of what you PAID for something. You have to factor how much use you got and many won't bring themselves to do that 😞  

I've recently used www.mpb.com who sends you a quote and Fedex shipping label on their dime. Be realistic on the condition and you'll get quick fair wholesale $$$$ in your pocket for the next trip.

Being in this game a long time I only want what I'll realistically use in my remaining days traveling and diving but that's me.......

I've seen way too many folks always "getting ready, buying for an upgrade path, etc." and hardly go diving and shooting. Doesn't make much sense to me.......

One favorite mantra is:

"If I haven't worn it or used in a year (or sooner) I'm unlikely to, EVER......

Ditch it and put some $$$$ in your pocket and head out on the next adventure 🙂

Good luck!

David Haas

11 hours ago, EFLT said:

depends on how new the item is, but mostly you will get around 50-60% what msrp was, unless it's a highly desired item/housing/strobe.  then it's maybe 70-80%. 

Im doing something wrong. I’ve never got anywhere near 50-60%. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, dhaas said:

I wrote a long text which disappeared before posting (????)

Here's a quick summary.....

Basically be prepared to break it up as others said. Be open to selling strobes, cords, or whatever might be usable on various systems.

Be realistic how much you've used an item. Clearly state it works NOW, but it's USED. Too many buyers want pristine new condition for dirt cheap. Not fair to the seller in my opinion.

Selling is also emotional because of what you PAID for something. You have to factor how much use you got and many won't bring themselves to do that 😞  

I've recently used www.mpb.com who sends you a quote and Fedex shipping label on their dime. Be realistic on the condition and you'll get quick fair wholesale $$$$ in your pocket for the next trip.

Being in this game a long time I only want what I'll realistically use in my remaining days traveling and diving but that's me.......

I've seen way too many folks always "getting ready, buying for an upgrade path, etc." and hardly go diving and shooting. Doesn't make much sense to me.......

One favorite mantra is:

"If I haven't worn it or used in a year (or sooner) I'm unlikely to, EVER......

Ditch it and put some $$$$ in your pocket and head out on the next adventure 🙂

Good luck!

David Haas

Thanks so much for this. I think mpb.com or other camera shops are good only when you're in a rush. I've sold equipment in the past and had conversations about it with some of their staff. Their business model is to value the gear for half of the (used) market price or less and then put it for sale at (used) market price. 

And yes, definitely not using the gear and not going to be of use in a long time, so better put it for sale.

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.