NEW - Backscatter Hybrid Flash

3 hours ago, DiverDawn said:

Friends tried the new hybrid flashes out at the Digital Shootout.  The photos were pretty and they raved about the soft, even lighting.  They ordered them right away.  I’m more hesitant as the only flash I’ve any experience with is the MF2.  The only complaint I’ve heard so far has been expressed here; the dials can be hard to operate with heavy gloves in cold water.  The 3D printed dial cover is a great work around.   

My 3D print design for the HF-1 Power Knob slip over cover:

https://makerworld.com/models/610783

HF-1 Power Knob [DLH].jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johnvila said:

The joys of living in "paradise" - quotation to send two knob to Vanuatu - USD 236!!!!! Any members in Australia with 3D printer?

Cheers

John

See if there is a local "maker space" at your community center, library, high school or university. The plans are available online and anyone can print them for you.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2024 at 2:01 PM, Dave_Hicks said:

See if there is a local "maker space" at your community center, library, high school or university. The plans are available online and anyone can print them for you.

Dave - I love your optimism ----------- great idea though!

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 11:39 AM, Dave_Hicks said:

My 3D print design for the HF-1 Power Knob slip over cover:

https://makerworld.com/models/610783

HF-1 Power Knob [DLH].jpg

tried printing it... trying to print multiple knob in a single print... didnt went well.... when it get to the top part... prints just flying off the print bed.. heheh... my print bed too hot?  or the base it too thin that it can't 'hold' on to the bed... i will try again... good stuff

7 hours ago, hellhole said:

tried printing it... trying to print multiple knob in a single print... didnt went well.... when it get to the top part... prints just flying off the print bed.. heheh... my print bed too hot?  or the base it too thin that it can't 'hold' on to the bed... i will try again... good stuff

Clean your bed with dawn soap and a scrub pad. Add a brim to the print for better adhesion. I didn't need to, but it may help. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hellhole said:

Clean your bed with dawn soap and a scrub pad. Add a brim to the print for better adhesion. I didn't need to, but it may help. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody use a Sony A7r5 with this flash and TTL (in Isotta), please which trigger are you using? And is it possible to do HSS?

I got the information in Germany from a dealer, that UWtechnics and Turtle trigger are not working with A7R5 in TTL mode with this flash. 

Edited by Susa

33 minutes ago, Susa said:

Does anybody use a Sony A7r5 with this flash and TTL (in Isotta), please which trigger are you using? And is it possible to do HSS?

I believe that the Isotta trigger is not TTL.  I have a Canon R5 Isotta and he is only manual. It's in the documentation.

Hope this help

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Susa said:

The two main suppliers of TTL triggers are UWT and Turtle, the trigger needs to be made to be compatible with the camera body and it needs to be able to communicate properly with the chosen flash.  Once this is done it needs to be adapted to the housing the considerations there are fitting the LEDs to trigger ports of the housing and mounting the trigger.  Basically if the triggers are working for your camera body/flash combination the only additional criteria is if the supplier has engineered a good fit to install the trigger and the LEDs. 

The triggers in question have been widely discussed in the forum I believe from both of these suppliers for Sony, getting it working properly with the Backscatter flash will take time for the vendors to develop their protocols to work with the new flash.

I would message the vendors where they are with supporting the new flash, both Pavel from UWT and Balage from Turtle are on the forum so you could PM them to ask.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chris Ross said:

The two main suppliers of TTL triggers are UWT and Turtle, the trigger needs to be made to be compatible with the camera body and it needs to be able to communicate properly with the chosen flash.  Once this is done it needs to be adapted to the housing the considerations there are fitting the LEDs to trigger ports of the housing and mounting the trigger.  Basically if the triggers are working for your camera body/flash combination the only additional criteria is if the supplier has engineered a good fit to install the trigger and the LEDs. 

The triggers in question have been widely discussed in the forum I believe from both of these suppliers for Sony, getting it working properly with the Backscatter flash will take time for the vendors to develop their protocols to work with the new flash.

I would message the vendors where they are with supporting the new flash, both Pavel from UWT and Balage from Turtle are on the forum so you could PM them to ask.

Thanks for your explanations, I will try to find it in the chats, but I got the answer (from UWtechnics and Turtle over PanOceanPhoto in Germany per mail), that the trigger are not working with TTL and HSS until now. Both triggers can fit in the  housing and work with some flashes also with the camera. So it seems  I have to wait 🙂  ...

my experience with r4 with the uwtech trigger and hydrid flash is as such

1. use retra pro setting on uwtech trigger

2. turn on wireless flash to get rid of pre flash ( as stated in the menu from uwtech fr sony camera)

3. i can't really tell if TTL is working with the hydrid flash in M mode... looks okay.  but we can pew pew pew multiple shot at 1/250 ( have not tried 1/320)

4. hss set on hydrid flash and 1/500 ( i think i tried to 1/8000) is able to work.  but its 1 shot 1 kill.. no pew pew pew  🙂

• Like 3

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.