Blackwater with the Oly EM1 Mk3

Heading to Cozumel next week and I am hoping to complete my first Blackwater dive. I remember Alex Mustard talking about using the Retra Reflectors on his Retra Flash for Blackwater, but I am unable to find the article/reference. What I am hoping to learn is whether the reflectors are used to cut down on backscatter using inward lighting/crossed strobes or are used in a typical macro strobe position to create faster recycle times due to the extra stop of light the reflectors generate. I am also unsure of the best strobe position and jump settings for my Olympus Em1 Mk2 with the Panasonic 30mm and hoping the group may be able to help with these queries or point me in the direction of the article or reference. Thanks so much 🙂

I would personally choose the reducing rings.
The lens you will be using has a minimum focusing distance of only 10 cm, this will mean that you will have to get very close to the subjects you find and such a wide reflector you will have a lot of backscatter.
I have a similar lens with a minimum focusing distance of 18 cm.
I position the strobes at about 30 degrees, but one of the two I position at a greater angle to get slightly wider coverage, so if the subject is between 20 and 40 cm from the lens I am sure I will give it the correct illumination.
I have been using Inon z330s with reducer and now I have started using D-Pros again with a homemade reducer.

• Like 2

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.