Video: Freediving under ice in Greenland at amazing icebergs

Hi,

i want to share a video from my latest trip to Greenland with you

The professional freediver Anna von Bötticher and I spent a tour in East Greenland and dived unique icebergs. An iceberg was crystal clear and gave a utopian impression underwater. At another iceberg we went into the water right next to a huge iceberg at the narrow gap that is created by the tides. It was great, almost endless visibility and a great atmosphere.

Read more in the Youtube description and watch it till the end, its not 2:22 long!

Alex.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

Congratulations Alex!

Beautiful shots and camera movements. The lighting effects are outstanding!

Thank you Davide! It was like someone drilled a hole in the iceberg and put a spotlight in

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Davide DB said:

Tell us more about the logistic.

Do you go there, drill a hole and dive for yourself? 🤣

Safety measures?

Actually thats it, almost.

You need the operator which takes you and the drill to the spot on a skidoo or ATV. And its more convinient if that guy also pulls you out of the water and hold the safety rope too, if you want a safety line.

At the big iceberg we had no hole and no safety line, because the water gap was next to the iceberg. This huge iceberg was not a usual divespot. We did the shot only as long as the freediver was not freezing. If this iceberg had broken or rolled i cant writes these lines. The risk during winter is not that high like in summer, but it exists. Its was a unique opportunity to dive at such a hugh iceberg and Sven from Northern Explorers had the idea. The day before Anna, the freediver, slided through an open water gap next to a small iceberg. Sven thought thats a unique chance to get in the water at the big one too. Anna was on fire - i had my concerns, but she said i HAVE to film her - i couldnt refuse

Edited by Alex B
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, RomiK said:

wow! the 3:15-3:45 shots are epic! just wondering how long were you finding these...👏

thank you! ...but the iceberg in the intro is not bad too 😄

i never saw such an utopic iceberg underwater, believe me i saw a lot.

Its almost perfect shape, the seethrough ice looked like lit - one of a kind!

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.