Macro and Fish Portraits with the Sony a6400 and Canon 60mm Macro

So I've recently gotten a few dives in with my recently acquired Canon 60m Macro. I shoot a Sony a6400 in a SeaFrogs housing, and have been looking at different macro lens options (see here), and decided to pick up that lens and a Metabones T-Smart EF-E mkIV adapter. Unfortunately for me, the flat ports I have do not fit the combination. Notably the Flat Short Port with 67m threads meant for the Zeiss macro is about 2-3mm too short, so you cannot properly close up the housing. I'm not planning on buying any more items for SeaFrogs, so I  ended up shooting behind the 8" acrylic dome I use for wide angle. While it wasn't perfect, it got the job done, and honestly may have been a good thing for some of the fish portraits I managed to get. 

Gear List:

• Sony a6400
  • Canon EF-S 60mm macro USM
  • Metabones T Smart Adapter Canon EF to Sony E IV
  • SeaFrogs SaltedLine A6xxx housing
  • SeaFrogs 8" acrylic dome
  • Dual Iron D200 Type 2 (one with Inon's snoot package)

A few samples are below, with the rest of the best in this gallery

Social feather duster

large.2024-06-14ClearwaterDiving0054-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Seaweed Blenny

large.2024-06-15ClearwaterFL-SpookyLedgeandClearwaterWreck0073-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Christmas Tree Worms in various colors

large.2024-06-14ClearwaterDiving0048-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Leopard Toadfish

large.2024-06-15ClearwaterFL-SpookyLedgeandClearwaterWreck0061-Enhanced-NR.jpg

• Like 2

@Craine How did you find the Sony body and Canon 60mm combo? Work okay for you? Or a bit of hunting, slow to lock, and good tracking once you locked focus?

On another thread @vkalia was looking at adapted lenses, and though quite a few folks have used this combination, it's always good to get updates. Thanks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, humu9679 said:

@Craine How did you find the Sony body and Canon 60mm combo? Work okay for you? Or a bit of hunting, slow to lock, and good tracking once you locked focus?

On another thread @vkalia was looking at adapted lenses, and though quite a few folks have used this combination, it's always good to get updates. Thanks.

I did find that it hunted a bit if the focus was pretty far off initially, like switching from a fish portrait to a macro subject. But overall it was pretty manageable. The a6400 isn’t the snappiest driving some of these older lenses, but I’m not usually trying to shoot fast moving subjects with it, so it doesn’t bother me. 

• Like 2

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.