Problems with my TRT s-Turtle Smart TTL

Posted (edited)

Thought I would ask here to see if anyone else had similar issues. I've got a second-hand TRT S-Turtle Smart TTL controller that I been using with my a6400 for a good bit now. It's performed without issue as recently as two weeks ago, but when I was setting up for my dives this past weekend I found I was unable to get more than one shot out of the trigger before it would … die? Disappear?

I've charged the battery, checked it against the s-TURTLE Smart Loader software, checked all the pins on the hot shoe connector, tried it on another camera body (my A7IV), all with the same results. I get one shot/flash, and then it disappears/dies/is no longer recognized by the camera. The only way to get it back online is to cycle the on/off switch on the controller, which is a bit impractical 60 feet under. 

Has anyone else had similar issues with their controller in the past? Were you able to get it resolved? Any tips? 

Edited by Craine
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to Problems with my TRT s-Turtle Smart TTL
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Follow-up for those who are interested and stumble on this thread at some later date. As suggested by @TURTLE-Balage the trigger/flash pin is the problem. You can see in the photos that the pin has completely recessed within the hot-shoe connector and will not come out. It was just barely sticking out when I inspected this at Balage's recommendation, and retracted inside when I tried to grab it with a pair of fine needle nose pliers (rounded end of the pin and all). 

This being the case I'll probably be in the market for a new flash trigger, since the hot-shoe is a fully integrated piece, and I'll probably destroy it while trying to get the pin unstuck. 

If anyone (maybe @TURTLE-Balage knows best?) has a good idea of the differences between these three models, I'd appreciate it. Best I can tell, the Mobie's defining feature is the hot-shoe connector being on a ribbon instead of built into the unit, but I'm having trouble with the difference between the first two. Thanks all!

IMG_4903.jpeg

IMG_4901.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sorry that the trigger broke. It’s likely that the spring behind the pin has snapped. If you send it back, we can repair it.

The differences between the triggers can be read on the website.

But briefly:

The only difference between the Mobie and the SMART 1 is the connector that leads to the cable. The Smart 2, however, is designed for the newer high-end cameras. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @TURTLE-Balage, I appreciate the offer! I decided to see if I could get it apart and fix it up myself (because I'm probably a bit nuts). That didn't turn out too well, as it looks (after the fact) that the hot shoe connector is soldered to the IC board, and I broke those solder points doing the dissection. I wouldn't feel right sending it in for repair now, because I definitely made it worse. 

I liked this trigger, so I went ahead and bought a new Smart 2 from Backscatter (it was delivered today), and am going through the setup now. Planning on taking it out in a couple weeks to put it through its paces. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.