Nauticam wet lenses on Aquatica flat port?

In my upgrade process to GH5ii now - I have my aquatica housing on the way.

I own a CMC1 + WWL-C + Bayonet ii mount from my previous setup.

my housing will have the O-60 Macro port #30208 which I plan to use with the Olympus Zuiko 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 MSC ED.

Aquatica sells a 77mm --> 67mm thread ring adaption.

to make the bayonet mount work I need to file that ring to fit the pins of the bayonet mount - I recall someone on one of the forums did this with Isotta housing for Sony to attach a WWL-B - but can't find the thread.

also - anything else I should worry about? Aquatica are concerned the lenses will bump with the port glass - but not sure since the distance is increased when using the bayonet mount, and if not - the CMC1 has a wash ring to avoid this.

Thank you,

Matan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris Ross said:

The top of the port also needs to be narrow enough to allow the Nauticam bayonet holder to screw on.

well the ring already on order 🙂

worst case will screw on the CMC-1 "manually" and sell the WWL-C haha

Matan.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Nauticam bayonet mount ii has 45mm between thread and the outer ring.

so that should be the "width" of the Aquatica port with the 77mm to 67mm ring installed.

while I can Dremel the required grooves to fit the bayonet pins (like the wetpixel thread) - the width is a whole other thing and I'll wait for everything to arrive here and we'll see.

regarding usage that's another thing.

the port accepts 3 lenses - see image I attached.

which one will work best with CMC1 and WWL-C.

I prefer to sell WWL-C since I will also have an 8'' dome with 12-60mm and possibly 7-14mm - but need something for macro as well.

Matan.

image.png

Edited by Matan

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

• Ring fitted on #30208 Macro port.
    • Can connect Nauticam's CMC-1 with and w/o it's wash ring - the lens element isn't touching the port glass.
    • Now the only question is which lens to get with it out of the 3 available for best results?
  • Bayonet mount ii can't be attached.
    • the 77mm to 67mm ring sticks out of the port but is too thick, even if I'll mandrel the slots for the bayonet mount pins.
    • Need to make a ring which is the same but thinner in outer diameter (I'll start with a 3D printed one first to test).
    • having it like that will allow to use CMC1 AND WWL-C. Not even sure if required but since I already have them better try.

Matan.

2 hours ago, Matan said:

Now the only question is which lens to get with it out of the 3 available for best results?

It depends...

60 and 30mm gives you the full macro experience 🙂

Oly 60mm is the "classic" M43 macro lens.

Pana 30mm is a good lens but it gets the maximum magnification very close to the lens, then you have the port and optionally the CMC-1. I guess it would be a nightmare taking photos with that lens and the diopter. Maybe someone who use it can give you a more precise feedback.

12-60 is a versatile lens for medium and close shots. With the CMC-1 on a flip holder you could get the best of the two worlds in the same dive. But keep in mind that shooting with a diopter is not like shooting with a macro lens.

Sometime I use the 14-42mm and CMC-2 I think the experience would similar but more extreme.

For pure macro I use the Pana 45mm and optionally the CMC-2 but I miss other two hands and another camera with a WA lens in the same dive.

Maybe in another life 😉

P.S

It's a shame we don't have feedbacks from @Aquatica

If the same port is used with the 60mm and 30mm macro, then no question you want to use the 60mm macro.  The 30mm lens is shorter and won't work as well as there is too far between the lens and the port glass.

If you look at the port charts, the magnifications are 60mm bare gets 1:1, the 60mm plus CMC gets 2x magnification, while the 12-50 only achieves 0.8x.  If you are only looking at macro and not considering flexibility , no question use the 60mm , it's far easier to use a 1:1 macro compared to adding a CMC to another lens that needs the CMC to achieve 0.8x.  Plus the 60mm can get 2x with the CMC added.  

The WWL-C is probably a better solution than the 7-14 (presumably Olympus) which is nice but is probably not as good in the corners and would have slightly more reach plus it focuses very close, so could do CFWA, which the 7-14 and 12-60 won't be as good at.  The 7-14 has about the same horizontal field at 7mm as the WWL-C at max angle of view.  But it probaly depends on what you want to do with it.

I have the 12-60mm with SW8 dome - the 7-14mm I'm also considering for wrecks (but first will try see what I'm getting with the 12mm + dome).

the flat port + bayonet + CMC1 is for macro so yeah the 60mm sounds the best - it just means selling my WWL-C. I was just wondering if I could still use it.

if the Olympus 12-50mm won't get me the macro result I want well than I'll just have to live with not being able to do macro + WA on the same dive (which is what I loved about my LX10 + WWLC + CMC1 + bayonet).

Matan.

17 hours ago, Matan said:

I have the 12-60mm with SW8 dome - the 7-14mm I'm also considering for wrecks (but first will try see what I'm getting with the 12mm + dome).

the flat port + bayonet + CMC1 is for macro so yeah the 60mm sounds the best - it just means selling my WWL-C. I was just wondering if I could still use it.

if the Olympus 12-50mm won't get me the macro result I want well than I'll just have to live with not being able to do macro + WA on the same dive (which is what I loved about my LX10 + WWLC + CMC1 + bayonet).

Matan.

The 12-50 really isn't a great wide angle solution - 24mm equivalent is not that wide and through a flat port it has the field of a 31mm lens. 

You could possibly use the WWL-C with the 12-32 lens, but it appears the ports offered by Aquatica are too long.  You could use it with the 12-50 lens on your macro port assuming it fits the the same port as the 60mm macro, but the range is less and on the wide end would be around 16-17mm full frame equivalent and you would need to figure out a way to attach the bayonet. 

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.