Canon G9X (I,II, III) w/ fantasea housing vs Olympus TG 4,5,6,7 w/ Olympus housing

I'm looking at these 2 options as a camera to take with me when DMing. Therefore one of the main requirements is that's it's small enough to be clipped onto my harness and not get in the way when I need to assist a customer. 

I'll mostly be using it with just the onboard flash, though I might be able to add a strobe occasionally. 

A secondary use will be a camera for my partner to use when I'm diving with my larger DSLR rig.

TG

Advantages: smaller, better macro

Disadvantages: no manual o shutter priority 

G9X

Advantages: bigger sensor and manual mode 

Disadvantages: bulkier, macro mode not as good as TG (therefore might be necessary to buy WA and macro wet lenses).

I intend to partly use the camera to take photos of clients, but mostly just to have a camera with me for when a good photo op arises. The ability to do decent macro is important for when my partner uses it.

Thanks for reading and if you have experience with either or preferably both of these systems I'd love to hear your opinion. If there's a particular reason to go with a newer g9x version I'd also appreciate the advice. Likewise, if you have a camera and housing for sale, please let me know.

Thanks

Gwilym 

• Like 1

Hi!  I saw your post in classifieds as well.  I have a TG6 camera with the PT059 housing for sale.  It currently has the bayonet quick release adapter on the housing with the Backscatter M52 wide angle lens, if you are interested in that as well.  There's another adapter that will attached to the arch of a tray so you can remove it and safely store it underwater.  Highly recommend!  Also the original battery charger, a JJC triple charger and three batteries.   KEH is listing TG6 cameras for 10% less than new ($278 for a $299 camera).  New prices are $499 TG6, $299 housing, $449 M52 wide lens, $175 quick release adapter, $40 per battery (x2) and $70 for the charger = $1,572.00 new. I'm offering 20% off, $1257 for the lot, or 15% off, $678 for the camera and housing, obo.  Photos are in the classified section.  Let me know if you are interested.

On 8/25/2024 at 4:16 AM, tkdcol said:

I'm looking at these 2 options as a camera to take with me when DMing. Therefore one of the main requirements is that's it's small enough to be clipped onto my harness and not get in the way when I need to assist a customer. 

I'll mostly be using it with just the onboard flash, though I might be able to add a strobe occasionally. 

A secondary use will be a camera for my partner to use when I'm diving with my larger DSLR rig.

TG

Advantages: smaller, better macro

Disadvantages: no manual o shutter priority 

G9X

Advantages: bigger sensor and manual mode 

Disadvantages: bulkier, macro mode not as good as TG (therefore might be necessary to buy WA and macro wet lenses).

I intend to partly use the camera to take photos of clients, but mostly just to have a camera with me for when a good photo op arises. The ability to do decent macro is important for when my partner uses it.

Thanks for reading and if you have experience with either or preferably both of these systems I'd love to hear your opinion. If there's a particular reason to go with a newer g9x version I'd also appreciate the advice. Likewise, if you have a camera and housing for sale, please let me know.

Thanks

Gwilym 

Another consideration, at least for me, is battery life. The TG wins here. I always liked the S and G Canons, and the Sony RXs, but their battery life sucks.

Also, if you’re shooting ambient light and on-camera strobe only for macro, you might want a camera that is easier to white balance at depth. I think the TG wins here, too. 

Ultimately I would love a compact with a 1” sensor or bigger, manual controls, hot shoe, very close focusing and sharp optics - great tracking autofocus - 4k 60p video that shoots log with good control of rolling shutter. You know, the perfect camera. 

I’ve always loved compact cameras but they all have caveats. The best camera is the one you’ll carry and use. To get better images, though, your kit will get bigger and bigger.

• Like 1

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.