Fake or Real?????

aquabluedreams

These days it can be very hard to discern the sourcing of images, though I know manufacturers and even the Associated Press are trying to figure out ways to mark photos as genuine. I sent a message to @sammyglenn_dives to get to the source. He has a lot of blue ring octopus photos on his Instagram site, most of the single creature variety.

• Like 2

Here's the the note from Sam Glenn-Smith aka @sammyglenn_dives on Instagram:

<<<Hey Criag!! Thanks for reaching out. No idea what's going on but 3 or 4 of my really old images have popped up on pages and seem to be double the social media rounds. These images are all double exposure images (which I'm really annoyed by the fact that these pages are posting them without sharing the original captions I put with them to say they were double exposure. Heaps of people online calling out my shots saying it's AI when I took them before AI was even a thing!!) Anyway - all the blue ring split shots are double exposure taken with an Olympus OMD EM1 MK2 with 12-40mm Lens. The blue ring shots are with a macro port and single Strobe with Snoot, whereas the splits are with a dome and ambient light. Hope this clears it up and more than happy for you to share this on the forum!>>>

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, humu9679 said:

Here's the the note from Sam Glenn-Smith aka @sammyglenn_dives on Instagram:

<<<Hey Criag!! Thanks for reaching out. No idea what's going on but 3 or 4 of my really old images have popped up on pages and seem to be double the social media rounds. These images are all double exposure images (which I'm really annoyed by the fact that these pages are posting them without sharing the original captions I put with them to say they were double exposure. Heaps of people online calling out my shots saying it's AI when I took them before AI was even a thing!!) Anyway - all the blue ring split shots are double exposure taken with an Olympus OMD EM1 MK2 with 12-40mm Lens. The blue ring shots are with a macro port and single Strobe with Snoot, whereas the splits are with a dome and ambient light. Hope this clears it up and more than happy for you to share this on the forum!>>>

Another good reason to credit ALWAYS the source of photos.

• Like 2

While I can appreciate the skill with either shot, I personally don't like the combined image. It just doesn't look like a single real photograph, the scale just seems wrong for a start. I'd prefer just the octopus picture on its own. I can imagine that for none divers and possible sales of the image (assuming it is being sold) the composite image is better.

Are many out there in the group doing these double shot combinations? They seem wrong to me, but I like to get as much right in a single shot in camera. Is that an old fashion (purest?) view? There has always been room for creativity and "collage" images. 

• Like 1

As mentioned I like the shot.  I came across it on Facebook.  I did ask where it was taken and I think the photographer did respond with the location.  I am not an expert photographer so was curious to "how" they would capture this shot being blue rings are so tiny.  That should have been the question I asked.  

• Like 3

It has to be a composite, blue ringed octopus are tiny, so likely a macro shot, and the split shot is wide angle.  Even if you got the blue ring as a close focus wide angle shot , you would be so close that the jetty couldn't be in focus.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mark H said:

Are many out there in the group doing these double shot combinations? They seem wrong to me, but I like to get as much right in a single shot in camera. Is that an old fashion (purest?) view? There has always been room for creativity and "collage" images. 

I bet that most of the sunburst I see on the net, are a sort of Photoshop double exposure. IIRC there's a specific PS plug in. But better don't ask 😉

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Chris Ross said:

blue ringed octopus are tiny, so likely a macro shot

Totally agree - unless we now have the Giant Blue-ringed Octopus - a sister species to the Pygmy Whale Shark.

• Haha 4

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.