Retra O-Rings in the US

TmxDiver

I'm trying to buy, in the US, new O-Rings for my Retra Pro X strobes. 

The Retra website has them for sale but shipping is something like $32 to the US which is crazy given the cost of the o-rings themselves.

The Retra website says "you can buy them at your local o-ring store" (40 x 2.5mm EPDM 70) but I'm a bit wary of doing that and when I checked www.theoringstore.com, the minimum buy quantity (believe it or not), it was 273. I don't need 273 of them. 🙂

Backscatter only seems to have o-rings for the first gen strobe (or my searches are just ineffective).

I can't believe that it should be this hard to get o-rings. Any ideas?

Thanks,

- brett

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, mcgowman said:

Check Ebay.  Sellers there are more likely to sell in smaller quantities.

Searching is a bit overwhelming at first, but some sellers let you pick the size/diameter desired.

Thanks. I'm a bit leery ordering o-rings off EBay, especially with two expensive strobes at risk.

I found another o-ring store, but it lists the dimensions of a "040 x 2.5mm" o-ring as "4mm ID x 45mm OD x 2.5mm C/S" and I just want to make sure that is the correct o-ring.

It seems very strange that the actual dimensions don't match. I guess the "40" refers to the ID while the 45mm OD is the sum of the ID + the 2 x 2.5mm measurements.

Confusing at best. It is hard to believe that US Retra dealers don't just stock the Retra o-rings. Maybe my search kung-fu is just really limited.

- brett

1 hour ago, Jay-11 said:

On Monday I would call Backscatter direct as they may have them but not listed yet.

Another option would be Reef Photo.

Yep. I sent an email to Backscatter but will call them in the AM.

Thanks,

- brett

Hi, regarding the dimensions: All dimensions on our website are in millimeters and follow this format: (internal diameter of the O-ring) X (thickness of the O-ring). The material of the O-ring should always be "EPDM 70".

If you can't find any suitable O-rings locally please write to us: help@retra-uwt.com

15 hours ago, Kraken de Mabini said:

I just now looked up the O-Ring Store with Google and the price is $0.17 per 2.5 x 4O ring, an acceptable price.

https://www.theoringstore.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2032

You might want to use another search engine, or give more practice to your O-ring searches, your search Kung-Fu as you call it. 

Thanks! Very strange. That is the exact place I checked over the weekend and, at that time, the minimum quantity was 273 and now it looks like it is twenty. Odd.

In the meantime, I had found another on-line store that had lower minimum quantities so I bought them. 

Thanks,

- brett

3 hours ago, Oskar - Retra UWT said:

Hi, regarding the dimensions: All dimensions on our website are in millimeters and follow this format: (internal diameter of the O-ring) X (thickness of the O-ring). The material of the O-ring should always be "EPDM 70".

If you can't find any suitable O-rings locally please write to us: help@retra-uwt.com

Thanks, Oskar!

- brett

15 hours ago, Kraken de Mabini said:

I just now looked up the O-Ring Store with Google and the price is $0.17 per 2.5 x 4O ring, an acceptable price.

https://www.theoringstore.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2032

You might want to use another search engine, or give more practice to your O-ring searches, your search Kung-Fu as you call it. 

I figured out the difference. 

Retra recommends EPDM 70 O-Rings (not Buna-N 70 Duro) and I'm not even sure what the difference is?

When you look up the EPDM 70 version of the O-Rings on the website, the minimum buy quantity is 273:

https://www.theoringstore.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=368_2278_2284&products_id=46227

Again, I don't know the technical difference between EPDM 70 and Buna-N 70, but if Retra says EPDM, then I'm going to do my best to buy that kind.

IMHO, it would be much, much easier and foolproof to just have a place in the US that sold the Retra O-Ring kits.

Regards,

- brett

EPDM is a bit more resistant to sunlight and ozone than is Buna. Otherwise in terms of mechanical properties (compression set, and durometer they are nearly identical and a very large fraction of your scuba o-rings are likely Buna-N.  Call the O-ring guys and tell them you need only 10 of epdm that has worked for me

Bill

• Like 1

As a quick follow-up, Backscatter does stock them, they just don't appear to be on their website. For reference, the part number they use is

"rt-pro-o-ring   Retra Spare O-ring for the Pro / Prime Strobe - EPDM70 Ø40x2,5mm"

Regards,

- brett

• Like 1

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.