Skip to content

Juvenile frogfish of Tulamben

Featured Replies

Had a little success with the Frogfish this year, all comments and critique welcomed

Jumping-frogfish-WP.jpg

Red-frog-on-red-WP.jpg

yellow-frog-3-4-on-WP.jpg

Juvenile-clown-warty-frogfish-WP.jpg

Mike

Retra
  • Author
3 minutes ago, canislupus said:

Very good images!

Can you share the equipment used?

Thankyou

Sony A1 and 90mm in a nauticam housing

Nauticam SMC-1

Two retra strobes, no snoots on these as I wanted a bit more background interest

Mike

  • Author

Thanks both.

I'm glad you both like that one because its probably my favourite, but I think sometimes people can be biased for other reasons, such as this one was really technically difficult due to the size, and using the SMC with a moving subject rather than sometimes being a bit more objective about our shots

Mike

30 minutes ago, CaolIla said:

@Pooley I really like the first one.. ❤️

12 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

Me to, the shallow focus and distant background enhances the frogfish body contour

7 hours ago, Pooley said:

Thankyou

Sony A1 and 90mm in a nauticam housing

Nauticam SMC-1

Two retra strobes, no snoots on these as I wanted a bit more background interest

Mike

Nice shots, I agree on the background, I've never been a huge fan of black backgrounds, comes from land based macros for many years where black BG was reserved for night shots and getting a pleasing out of focus BG was highly regarded.

Great detail on these! That first one is amazing!

I really struggled to get good shots of them last month.....maybe I need an SMC instead of the cheap Inon diopter 🤔 (any excuse to get more gear)

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author
On 7/16/2025 at 3:39 AM, humu9679 said:

@Pooley That first one is very nice! We rarely see these guys swimming.

On 7/16/2025 at 11:53 AM, Yorkie88 said:

Great detail on these! That first one is amazing!

I really struggled to get good shots of them last month.....maybe I need an SMC instead of the cheap Inon diopter 🤔 (any excuse to get more gear)

Thanks for the comments gents

  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Floris Bennema said:

I prefer the second one, the continuation of body structure and colour in the sponge is fabulous.

Yep, agreed! The mono colour image is very effective. Nice one, Pooley!

Fantastic! I like them all but if I have to pick a favorite it would be Number one. Thank you for sharing.

  • 2 weeks later...

I also like them all and feel that the first one ... really pops. Great image. Thanks for sharing!

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.