Fibre Optic Cables? Make your own....

TimG

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the fibre order: it's on its way and it scheduled to reach my mate in NYC tomorrow. Yay!

No change on when I can start shipping it out to you guys. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tim for organizing!

And i want to add something to the topic: "Make your own":
I broke already a few meters (even of the 613 core) due my strobe arms and clamps being pretty tight when i move them around and sometimes the relatively thin cable (with its 2-2.2 mm outside diameter) gets in between the arm and the clamp and gets kind of crashed. First i tried to fix the routing of the cable with velcro straps to the arm but that didn't really work.
Last thing i'm testing at present is: cover the cable with something so that the outer diameter is larger and the chance to get in between the small gap of the arm and the clamp is kind of impossible.
What did i use: i had plenty of paracord left from my Lanyard DIY projects. So i removed the inner part and used the outer part as sleeve for the cable. It is a bit loose but works by now. I know, not everybody may have this issue but maybe it's an useful idea for someone.
Just cut the Paracord about the same length as the strobe cable is, heat the ends and install the connectors. A drop of superglue will fix the paracord on the connector (and can also be removed without destroying the connector).

IMG_1932.jpeg

IMG_1931.jpeg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Michael said:

So i removed the inner part and used the outer part as sleeve for the cable

What a super idea! I've not had the problem of the cables getting trapped (yet?) but this is a clever way around it. Thanks, Michael.

My solution since 6 month is to build some arms with a small tube in it the fiber in the arm  come out on the other side.... and go in the next arm and go out  before going on the strobe.

I love this setup

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.