Need a new monitor for stills editing

Hi all,

I'll soon need a new monitor for editing my pictures. I only shoot stills (well 99.something% of the time tbh), and regularly print pictures / sell prints. If relevant, software is CaptureOne and Adobe Photoshop, all running on Windows.

I thought about going to an AdobeRGB monitor, fair or overkill? Size: 27''+, preferably 32''.

Budget: what is necessary? after 1.5k € it starts to hurt, 2k would be the absolute maximum.

So far I'm looking at the BenQ SW321C - usually 2k, dropped to 1.45k at Amazon as I've seen while typing this. So I ordered it to save the price (in the worst case I'll return it)...

Regardless of the BenQ - any other recommendations?

Thanks!

You can find ASUS and BENQ options below £500 here for 27 inches

I have not considered a 32" so far but that would be ideal for 4K at 2 feet. For 27" you need to sit a bit closer

If your budget is 1,500-2000 € then you can consider EIZO monitors. I think they are the best motinor for editing.
I don't know if in Germany you have the possibility to buy Demo monitors, here in italy every now and then Eizo has Demo monitors for sale that have been used for 1 or 2 days for some workshop, with a discount to consider.

This is a link to a dealer in italy https://www.eizostore.it/second-life-monitor-eizo-ex-demo/

I would second an Eizo monitor.  If you are printing having Adobe RGB or a good percentage of that is an advantage as inkjet printers can print pretty much all of Adobe RGB colours and if you are editing on a lesser monitor you won't actually be able to see those colours before you print.  The Eizo inbuilt calibration capabilites together with a good colorimeter puck make an easy job of calibration - quite important if you are printing.

My view is that for the vast majority of people the end product of all the $1000's we spend on camera equipment is what we see on our monitor and it is not something to cheap out on.  I have two Eizos on my desk a good quality one and a standard grade one next to it and I keep all of my palettes etc over there so I can use the whole of the 27" monitor for the image.  You could keep your existing monitor for all the palettes you keep open and then a 27" is probably big enough.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fabian said:

Hi all,

I'll soon need a new monitor for editing my pictures. I only shoot stills (well 99.something% of the time tbh), and regularly print pictures / sell prints. If relevant, software is CaptureOne and Adobe Photoshop, all running on Windows.

I thought about going to an AdobeRGB monitor, fair or overkill? Size: 27''+, preferably 32''.

Budget: what is necessary? after 1.5k € it starts to hurt, 2k would be the absolute maximum.

So far I'm looking at the BenQ SW321C - usually 2k, dropped to 1.45k at Amazon as I've seen while typing this. So I ordered it to save the price (in the worst case I'll return it)...

Regardless of the BenQ - any other recommendations?

Thanks!

One word - OLED. There is a new crop of monitors released/soon to be released that will well fit into your budget. And boy, those can easily do 95% Adobe RGB, some claiming even more.

Apart from monitors you can also look at LG TV C series in 42 inch size. C4 is about to be released soon. I am personally sporting C2 with a PC and the thing is amazing.

Below is a list of latest releases monitor wise (from DisplayNinja):

https://www.displayninja.com/best-oled-monitor/

Panel Monitor Screen HDR USB-C / KVM Other Release Date, Price
31.5” 4K 240Hz QD-OLED   Dell Alienware AW3225QF 1700R, Glossy Dolby Vision, 1000-nits No eARC,
3-year warranty
January 11, $1200
ASUS ROG Swift PG32UCDM Glossy Dolby Vision, 1000-nits Yes Q1 2024
HP Omen Transcend 32 Glossy Dolby Vision, 1000-nits Yes
(140W)
HyperX Audio Q1 2024
Samsung OLED G80SD Matte 1000-nits No Tizen Smart OS  –
Gigabyte Aorus FO32U2P Glossy 1000-nits No DP 2.1 UHBR20 H1 2024
Gigabyte Aorus FO32U2 Glossy 1000-nits No
MSI MPG321URX Glossy 1000-nits Yes (90W) February, $1200
MSI MEG321URX Glossy 1000-nits Yes (90W) RGB / AI Features N/A
MSI MAG321UPX Glossy 1000-nits No  – N/A
31.5” 4K 240Hz (1080p 480Hz) W-OLED, RGWB ASUS PG32UCDP Matte 1300-nits Yes ELMB August / September 2024
LG 32GS95UE Matte 1300-nits No Pixel Sound August / September 2024

I have the BenQ SW270c (QHD resolution). It fully fits my requirements and I can recommend it...

I find the hardware calibration very useful and easy, also the possibility to switch between sRGB, aRGB and BW via the special "hockeypuck". I am not sure that with software calibration the results would be similarily good. The hood that is delivered along with the monitor is extremely useful and improves IQ a lot in real life (if going for another brand, I would co-order such a hood immediately)...

In case I would have to buy a monitor now, I would go with the 32" and 4k option, as you already did (no real need for this, 27" and QHD are great, but just in case). No need to look at a bigger monitor from further distance, in case the size of the photo would be too large (what I doubt will be the case), one can make the window smaller and use the rest of the space for something else...

Maybe a look at Eizo, but they are in another league financially (maybe also in quality)...

Wolfgang

• Like 1

Hi all,

I received the monitor yesterday, and decided to keep it. I do like the size and resolution, and Eizo at 32'' with 4K and AdobeRGB would be significantly more expensive.

Wolfgang, I was considering the 27" as well, but the 32" was cheaper during the Amazon offer (now it's more expensive again), so I took the chance.

But I still need to figure out how the hockeypuck works, but that is what I'll play around with this weekend (well, after diving of course).

Thank you all for you input!

• Like 2

One thing to note with monitors is that for imaging and particularly for printing they can easily be way too bright.  The standard brightness is 100-110 cD/m2 and some monitors struggle to get down to that value.  If you edit on a very bright monitor your images will come out too dark for someone viewing on a standard photo monitor and prints will be too dark compared to the screen.

• Like 1

I don't have quite the budget, and ended up ordering a BenQ as well, the PD3205U.  It doesn't have the gamut coverage or the calibration built-in, but looks like a reasonable cheaper option.

It should arrive Saturday, and will be a badly needed upgrade from the old Dell I've been working with (for my day job) for the last couple years.

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.