Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Your best shot of 2007 (deadline: early Oct)

Started by echeng ·

  • 119Posts
  • 119Replies

Read-only discussion

Your best shot of 2007 (deadline: early Oct)

119 posts
  1. Hi, thanks for sharing all the great pics.

     

    Here are some of my pcitures taken with an Olympus C-5050 and 2*Inon D-180 strobes and UWL -100 and Dome Lens.

     

    All taken in Sydney Australia, other than the Brain Coral taken at Hamilton Island, Australia

    post-10160-1186563621_thumb.jpg

    post-10160-1186563649_thumb.jpg

    post-10160-1186563668_thumb.jpg

  2. Well, here are three I like. All pictures taken with my Canon EOS 10D in Sea&Sea housing with two Ikelite DS-125 strobes.

     

    Clown_Eye480cv.jpg

     

    Location: Seram, Indonesia

    Explanation: OK -- before someone comes after me, I'll say it up front -- this is a crop. I took the picture and wasn't so happy with it. I was back on the boat going through the "what-ifs" and a couple people said, "Just crop it". In the past, I've been convinced that unless the shot is full-frame perfect it isn't worthy but the bottom line is that people have been cropping for years (even with FILM, even with screaming turtles!) so why should I feel guilty? Anyway, this is one of those lucky ones -- I wasn't out looking for a clownfish shot but at the end of a dive I had some air, there was this clownfish and I just burned off a few exposures. He did a good job of hiding but I luckily ended up with his eye, if not my camera, in just the right place.

     

    ISO 100

    1/90

    f22

    Canon 100mm macro lens

     

     

    Coral1480cv.jpg

     

    Location: Raja Ampat, Indonesia

    Explanation: On my last trip, I was introduced to someone who tends to have a different view of the world. He used to be a designer in the textile industry and is fascinated by textures and patterns. He showed some of his work and it blew me away. So, quite naturally with imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all, and having just gotten an adapter (fabricated by another friend from a previous trip to the Bahamas) that let me add an INON macro lens to my macro port, I decided to try to adjust my view as well. I'm pleased with this result, though now that my eyes have been opened to a new way of seeing I've still got a long way to go.

     

    ISO 100

    1/60

    f4

    100mm lens with INON UCL-165 macro lens

     

     

    Passage3480ch.jpg

     

    Location: Raja Ampat, Indonesia

    Explanation: In between the islands of Wiageo and Gam, there is a narrow channel. The tides drive water back and forth through this area and we were diving in the shallow eddies along the sides of the channel. This dive rarely takes one below 20fsw but it is both a wonderful macro spot and a good CFWA opportunity as well as there are soft corals and fans within a few feet of the jungle canopy. On two previous trips, I struggled with equipment and operator stupidity issues (what, there is a limit switch? what, there is a MF/AF switch?) but this time I finally got a nice shot of the fans. I was able to hold my breath just long enough that most of my bubbles have been taken bby the current and the water at the surface is fairly still. I think I got the right strobe positioned pretty well to cast some shadows and add depth -- but then again I'm probably biased.

     

    ISO 100

    1/60

    f8

    Tokina 12-24mm lens at 12mm

  3. Hi all

     

    It's very hard to decide but here's three of my favourite shots from this year. All were taken with a Reefmaster DC600 and 2 x Sealife Digital Strobes.

     

    Mandarinfish%20580x464.jpg

     

    A beautiful Mandarinfish taken at Malapascua, Philippines

     

    GreenTurtle%20580x436.jpg

     

    One of the many extremely chilled out Green Turtles to be found around Sipadan, Malaysia

     

    BlueRing%20580x464.jpg

     

    An extremely angry Blue Ring Octopus that went on to attack my husband twice. Luckily he lived to boast about it in the pub! Taken at Kapalai, Malaysia.

     

    Simon (the husband) says if I get in Diver mag he will buy me an Olympus E-410, which I really really really want, so please help me get my dSLR ! :)

     

    Zoe

  4. Here are my three shots.

     

    post-7658-1186835330_thumb.jpg

    Caption: Perch in trap

    Location: Lake Ruokjärvi, Finland

    Gear: Canon 350D + 60 macro in Patima housing. Available light

     

    post-7658-1186835404_thumb.jpg

    Caption: Trevally

    Location: Similan islands, Thailand

    Gear: Canon 350D + 18-55 mm in Patima housing + Magic filter

     

    post-7658-1186835452_thumb.jpg

    Caption: Water lily

    Location: Lake Ruokjärvi, Finland

    Gear: Canon 350D + 18-55 mm in Patima housing. Available light

     

    Teemu

  5. post-2172-1186856678_thumb.jpgMy favorite shot is usually a function of my last trip. I recently returned from the bilikiki/solomons. I remembered Marys island as one of my alltime favorite spots. There are always schools of jacks and baracudas. This shot was taken witha nikon/aquatica/ 10.5 lens at 90 to 100 feet shooting up 60th at 2.8.
  6. 141853665-M-3.jpg

     

    Flying in Formation - Giant manta rays

    Socorro, Mexico

    Canon 1Ds Mk II with dual Inon z220 strobes

     

    182607188-M.jpg

     

    "How's this pose?" Bottlenose dolphins

    Bahamas

    Canon 1D Mk IIN, no strobes

    Edited by bmyates
  7. Here are my three :)

     

    post-10640-1186891395_thumb.jpg

     

    Reef shark

    Turks and Caicos

    Canon 5d ikelite housing Ikelite ss200 16-35 lens

    Manual flash exposure ISO 320 1/160th @ f9 focal length 35mm

     

    post-10640-1186891669_thumb.jpg

     

    moray eel with cleaner shrimp

    Turks and Caicos

    Canon 5d ikelite housing Ikelite ss200 100mm macro

    Manual flash exposure ISO 400 1/30th @ f13 focal length 100mm

     

    post-10640-1186892165_thumb.jpg

     

    A white fish

    Turks and Caicos

    Canon 5d ikelite housing Ikelite ss200 100mm macro

    Manual flash exposure ISO 400 1/200th @ f11 focal length 100mm

    Edited by scubarobot
  8. OK, Why not? Me too! Me too!

    Low res. picts to fit into the forum.

     

    Hermissenda crassicornis

    Santa Cruz Island, California

    Sony DSC-P10, Inon D2000

     

    post-6097-1186896101_thumb.jpg

     

    Rockfish Portrait

    San Miguel Island, California

    Sony DSC-P10, Inon D2000

     

    post-6097-1186896408_thumb.jpg

     

    Oops, I need a little more space for one more picture! :)

     

    Snubnose Sculpin

    San Miguel Island, California

    Sony DSC-P10, Inon D2000

     

    post-6097-1186896603_thumb.jpg

    Edited by IMSushi
  9. marys island, solomons taken with nikon/aquatica/inons 125/f4.0 10.5 lens

    post-2172-1186927162_thumb.jpg

  10. CRW_5776.jpg

     

    Jawfish with Eggs

    Cayman

    Canon 300d, 100mm macro

    f/20, 1/60

     

     

    CRW_6064.jpg

     

    Up to My Gills

    Cayman

    Canon 300d, 100mm macro

    f/20, 1/60

  11. post-5597-1187005062_thumb.jpg

    Fan coral

    Egyptian Red Sea

    Nikon D200 with Nikkor 10,5/2.8 FE

    2x Inon Z240 strobes

    Impressive fan corals like this one can be found on the deep walls of Elphinstone and Brother Islands.

     

    post-5597-1187005081_thumb.jpg

    Hammerhead

    Egyptian Red Sea

    Nikon D200 with Sigma 10-20/4-5.6

    2x Inon Z240 strobes

    A small group of curious hammerheads stayed with us on a couple of dives. They came shallow and close to the divers, which is unusual for this rather shy shark. But as anyone who has ever been under water with a camera knows – close is never close enough!

     

    post-5597-1187005097_thumb.jpg

    Wall

    Egyptian Red Sea

    Nikon D200 with Sigma 10-20/4-5.6

    2x Inon Z240 strobes

    The colours of the Red Sea reefs are very special and nicely set off by the clear blue water.

    Edited by Christian K
  12. California Sea Lion

    Breakwater, Monterey

    Nikon D200, 16mm FE, Sea & Sea DX200 Housing, 2X YS90DX Strobes

    Manual flash exposure, ISO 200, 1/125th @ f6.3

    post-6271-1187058525_thumb.jpg

  13. 1028812960_a436197201.jpg

    Triplefin feeding on seafan

    Tioman , Malaysia

    Canon 400D, Canon 100mm Macro, Ikelite Housing, 2 x Inon Z-240, Woody's diopter

    Saw this little guy open mouth feeding on seafan. Managed to get this shoot after 3 attempt.

     

     

    1051570865_99ced3e312.jpg

    Lionfish

    Mabul , Malaysia

    Fujifilm E900, Ikelite Housing, Inon Z-240, Inon D2000s

    Taken during checkout dive underneath Seaventure oilrig. I waited this guy for 10 minute to get this shoot.

     

     

    1051572799_b633d01c58.jpg

    Huge Table coral

    Redang , Malaysia

    Canon 400D, Tokina 10-17mm @ 12mm, Ikelite Housing, Inon Z-240, Inon D2000s

    Taken with ambient light at 7m , the visibility was good and sunny day.

  14. 1.jpg

     

    Arlequin ghost pipe fish in Alor Archipelago

    This lovely guy play with me during 20 minutes

    Nikon D200 + 15 mm sigma

    Strobes: inon Z-240 + inon z-220

     

     

    2.jpg

     

    Zebra crab in his beautiful urchin

    Why thoses urchins are so beautiful???

    Nikon D200 + 60 mm macro nikkor

    Strobes: inon Z-240 + inon z-220

     

    3.jpg

     

    Seahorse in mediterranean sea

    I waited until he looked at me directly in the eyes....

     

    Nikon D200 + 60 mm macro nikkor

    Strobes: inon Z-240 + inon z-220

  15. Because I feel the P&S are a little under represented here, ill throw in some of mine.

     

    WhiteLeafScorpionFish.jpg

     

    WhiteLeafScorpionFishVertical.jpg

    White Leaf Scorpionfish Taenianotus triacanthus

     

    The fish remained completley still, even as I get closer, depending on its camoflouge for protection. This allowed me to get fairly close and play with different angles and settings. These were the two I liked the most.

     

     

    Bali, Indonesia

    Olympus c-5060

    Iso 80 1/160 @ f/8.0

    Strobe: 1 x Sealife 960d

     

    NeonTriplefin.jpg

     

    Neon Triplefin (Helcogramma striata)

     

    Bali, Indonesia

    Olympus c-5060

    Iso 80 1/160 @ f/8.0

    Inon 165 close up lense

    Strobe: 1 x Sealife 960d

     

    I found the Neon Triplefins to be beautiful, but overlooked fish around the Tulamben area. I found it a nice common fish that was perfect for preparing my strobe and camera settings at the beginning of the dive. Though it did tend to move around a lot, it returned to this same spot over and over again. I prefocused, in order to cut down on shutter lag from my point and shoot system, remained still as to not stir up the fine black Tulamben sand and then snapped when he came back to the spot.

  16. IMG_6481.jpg

     

    Caption: Beauty in the beast.

    Location: Guadalupe Island

    Gear: Canon 400D, EF-S 18-55mm, Ikelite Housing, 2 Inon z220 strobes

    Description: We attracted the sharks by wrangling fish carcases on the surface. The great whites would come right up to the surface to try grab a bite of the dead fish.

     

    IMG_5825.jpg

     

    Caption: Smile

    Location: Guadalupe Island

    Gear: Canon 400D, EF-S 18-55mm, Ikelite Housing, 2 Inon z220 strobes

    Description: This comical looking great white shark was looking into the cages that we were standing in. Not sure what he was thinking of.

     

    IMG_6537.jpg

     

    Caption: A great white natural montage.

    Location: Guadalupe Island

    Gear: Canon 400D, EF-S 18-55mm, Ikelite Housing, 2 Inon z220 strobes

    Description: The great whites are attracted by the scent of dead fish. This image shows two different perspectives of this awesome predator in one image.

  17. IMG_8108.jpg

    Jellyfish Lake, Palau

    Canon 400D, Tokina 10-17mm @17mm, Athena Dome

     

    IMG_8605.jpg

    Xeno crab and shrimp

    Cabilao Island, Philippines

    Canon 400D, Canon 100mm macro, S&S Housing, Inon Z-240's

     

    IMG_8864.jpg

    Square Crab

    Cabilao Island, Philippines

    Canon 400D, Canon 100mm Macro, S&S Housing, Inon Z-240's, Woody's diopter

     

    If I may, can I replace that last crab shot with this Hammerhead? :blush:

     

    Dirty Rock, Cocos Island, Costa Rica

    Canon 400D, Sigma 180-50mm EX DC @18mm, S&S Housing, Inon Z-240's

    While Alcyone had the marquee scene of massive schools of hammerheads overhead, Dirty Rock was one of my favorites as it offers some nice hideouts in the rocks allowing the hammerheads to come in real close...

     

    IMG_9283.jpg

  18. Garibaldi

    Catalina Island, Casino Point

    SP-350 FL-20 strobe

    Cruisin along on a shore dive and ran into this guy at about 25ft. Loved the pose

    site1042.jpg

     

    3 Eyes

    Cozumel

    Sp-350, FL-20 strobe

    This was at Palancar Gardens, My sister was certifying so I had time to cruise the reef. Found these3 guys just huddled next to a coral.

    site1041.jpg

     

    Sea Bass

    Catalina Island, Casino Point

    SP-350 FL20

    These guys were everywhere on my dive and weren't camera shy

    site1040.jpg

    Edited by ce4jesus
  19. Here are mines.

     

    p1018542vf0.jpg

    Cenote dos ojos. Playa del Carmen.

    Olympus 5060. Inon WA Lense. 2xDS50.

    1/10. f2,8. ISO 200

    Snorquellers swimming at the cenote.

     

    p1010516ma0.jpg

    Coleman Shrimp. Komodo. Indonesia

    Olympus 5060. 1xDS50.

    1/350. f8. ISO 80

    Looking how beautifull a fire urquin was i met this brave friend.

     

    p1011450ru5.jpg

    Small frogfish. Tulamben. Bali. Indonesia

    Olympus 5060. 1xDS50.

    1/350. f8. ISO 80

    Diving the wreck Liberty something very small catch my attention, something yellow over the oxidized metals...

    Edited by ripli
  20. Pygmy_Seahorse_Sized.jpg

     

    1. Pygmy Portrait

    2. Raja Ampat, Indonesia

    3. Canon 350d, canon 100mm 2.8 macro, ikelite housing, dual ds-125 strobes

    4. seafan with fire coral just to the left of the scene made it a difficult shot to get

     

     

    IMG_2269.sized.jpg

     

    1. Clownfish in Anemone

    2. Raja Ampat, Indonesia

    3. Canon 350d, canon 18-55 lens, ikelite housing, dual ds-125 strobes

    4. clownfish in its anemone. had to wait for around 5 minutes before i was able to get this shot

     

    aliigatoreye.jpg

     

    1. Eye of the Croc

    2. Raja Ampat, Indonesia

    3. Canon 350d, canon 100mm 2.8 macro, ikelite housing, dual ds-125 strobes

    4. Extreme Close-up of the eye of a crocodile fish. the picture was fairly easy to frame, but the lighting had to be adjusted many many times before getting that perfect reflection in the eye.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.