Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Your best shot of 2007 (deadline: early Oct)

Started by echeng ·

  • 119Posts
  • 119Replies

Read-only discussion

Your best shot of 2007 (deadline: early Oct)

119 posts
  1. My 3 happen to all have "rainbows" :blush:

     

    Manatee_8Feb07005_webxx-1.jpg

    Manatee Mom & Child

    Crystal River, Florida

    Subal ND20/8"dome/d200/Nikon 16mm/Sea & Sea 110

    Water color in the back where three springs meet always changes - fortunately this was one of the "bluest" water days back there and I captured an idyllic mom/child resting w/rainbow light, HEAVEN!!!

     

     

    Very Young Manatee Showing Off What He Just Learned

    Crystal River, Florida

    Subal ND20/8"dome/d200/Nikon 16mm/2X Sea & Sea 110

    Since I have observed so many manatee I know that many young manatee just love to show off what they have just learned from mom. As you can see "Junior" here has just learned that if he flips only his left flipper really fast he will turn around. It was so hard to get a head on shot of him because he kept turning and turning - but I finally got the shot.

    Manatee_6Mar07073_web.jpg

     

     

    Winter the [spunky!] Dolphin

    Florida - SE Stranding Network Facility @ Clearwater Marine Aquarium

    Subal ND20/8"dome/d200/Nikon 16mm/ambient light/no strobes

    This is my absolute fav photograph of 2007 (and the hardest to capture by far)! I was chosen to photograph Winter underwater and document her prosthetic tail mainly because Winter knows me and is comfortable with me around. Access is very limited and ambient light is always changing like crazy but I got this shot with Winter checking out the dome and rainbow light illuminating her sweet face. Note the scar on her jaw is also from her crab trap entanglement at 2 months old - she tried to bite through the line. She is doing so well now and it is just an amazing story.

    WinterSat_23June07_008_web2.jpg

     

    Carol

    Note I've found it odd that I thought I'd be taking 85% macro when I first got the DSLR one year ago; but it has turned out now to be 85% wide angle - ya never know and best to be prepared for sure! :blink:

    Edited by seagrant
  2. I hope this isn't being sent in too late.....here are some of my favourites from Komodo/Bali this March

     

     

    post-9396-1189006682_thumb.jpg

     

    1. Here's Lookin' at You

    2. Komodo, Indonesia

    3. D100/105mm/L&M Titan housing/Ikelite 100 and 50

    4. This comatose blenny was being bombarded by "night mosquitos" attracted to my modeling lights. I had to wait a few minutes between each set of photos to let the bugs clear out.

     

     

    post-9396-1189006975_thumb.jpg

     

    1. Bubble-Ring Abstract

    2. Tulamben, Bali, Indonesia

    3. D100/105mm/L&M Titan housing/No strobes

    4. Try setting your camera down, laying on your back, holding your breath, blowing 4 perfect bubble-rings at different positions, getting your camera back and taking a photo WITHOUT letting any bubbles come out of your mouth/reg.....not an easy shot to get solo. Just thought this was an interesting abstract.

     

     

    post-9396-1189006999_thumb.jpg

     

    1. Nudibranch

    2. Komodo, Indonesia

    3. D100/105mm/L&M Titan housing/2 Ikelite 50's

    4. It was the last diving day of the trip, and we thought that we had nearly exhausted the different species of nudibranchs Indonesia had to offer over the past 6 weeks, but were pleasantly surprised when we found another 12 unique species on a single dive...this was one of them. I dug a small depression in the sand adjacent to it to allow the horizontal shot necessary to achieve the black background.

     

     

     

    Keri Wilk

    ReefNet Inc.

    www.reefnet.ca

  3. Wow Carol!!!! I think I recognize that ugly mug in photo number 2!!

  4. Wow Carol!!!! I think I recognize that ugly mug in photo number 2!!

     

    Oh, maybe but I don't think so.... (plus don't let his mom hear you say that!!! Egads!!!) I think he is supremely good looking!!!

     

    There were lots and lots of moms and young ones that went and did the springs "circuit". This pair was a few weeks after you were there and even though they do frequent the same spots often they also move around a lot to show their youngsters around. But who knows, I did see some of the same mom/calf pairs from time to time at the same spots. :blush:

     

    Keri Wilk

    ReefNet Inc.

    www.reefnet.ca

     

    Keri is one talented photographer!

     

    Love the bubbles, Best, Carol

  5. Great shots everyone;

    Carol, Winter is love at first sight. And those manatees in that crystal water....when will I ever see that!

    Edited by loftus
  6. Great shots everyone;

     

    Carol, Winter is love at first sight.

     

    And those manatees in that crystal water....when will I ever see that!

     

    As to the former, yes and doesn't she know it! How did I come to sing "My Funny Valentine" all day long to her - Valentine's Day '06 - she was still recovering and it was just something that just sort of "happened"? She loves "singing". :blush:

     

    As to the latter - well........ :blink:

     

    Thanks and yes great photos everyone!!!

     

    Best, Carol

  7. Wow people, fantastic shots out there!!!

     

    Here's my three:

     

    thought.jpg

    1, Thought

    A small cave opening at 5m with a small room inside. Shot at Pag island, Croatia.

    Nikon D200/Ikelite/10-17/DS125s - 1/30, f8

     

    murena.jpg

    2, Murena

    White murena peeking out of his home at Marsa Shagra, Egypt.

    Nikon D200/Ikelite/105/DS125s - 1/125, f22

     

    scene.jpg

    3, Reef scene, nothing special, I just like the flow of glassfish and...anyway :) Hurghada, Egypt

    Nikon D200/Ikelite/10-20/DS125s - 1/60, f16

     

    Zook

  8. This is the first time that i have shown any of my pictures, except for on my own web and blog sites, so it is with a gulp that I put them up. I shoot with a NIKON D200, aquatica housing, viewfinder and Ikelike DS125 strobes. The system flooded last night, so it is bittersweet that I put these up! Takes us a bit to order things into the islands. These were all taken in the British Virgin Islands.

    post-11655-1189522157_thumb.jpg

    This Batfish, was taken with a 105mm lens, and I had just dropped into the mud under the boat on Guana Island while the charter guests were having dinner.

    post-11655-1189522223_thumb.jpg

    The jacks were taken with a 12-24 wide angle on the wreck of the RMS Rhone

    post-11655-1189522266_thumb.jpg

    Turtle was also taken with the 105mm lens off Salt Island in the BVI

  9. am i too late? :)

    something from a humble P&S user on borrowed equipment...

     

    #1

    516267977_4cc0d226dd.jpg

    Diving in the sun

    Location: Barracuda Point, Sipadan, East Malaysia

    EXIF: Aperture priority @ f/8, 1/500, iso100

    Equipment: Canon A640, Ikelite housing, Inon UWL100 WA lens, Inon D2000s strobes x2

    Description: We were heading to the shallows for our safety stop when I saw a shadow over me. I rolled over and saw this diver in a great position. Fired off 1 shot, and the moment was gone, replaced by this image.

     

    #2

    516268295_aca6453c07_o.jpg

    Precariously perched

    Location: Seaventures Rig, Sipadan, East Malaysia

    EXIF: Aperture priority @ f/8, 1/500, iso100

    Equipment: Canon A640, Ikelite housing, Inon D2000s strobes x2

    Description: A fairly common Chromodoris magnifica in an interesting position spotted with only 1 minute of NDL time left. The last of 3 shots taken, which were fairly challenging, since I was operating the set-up with only my right hand. The left hand was held up high to avoid going into deco! Not the smartest thing to do...

     

    #3

    515799878_a497c3e74c.jpg

    Sun patrol

    Location: The Drop-Off, Sipadan, East Malaysia

    EXIF: Aperture priority @ f/3.2, 1/1000, iso100

    Equipment: Canon A640, Ikelite housing, Inon UWL100 WA lens

    Description: I knew I wanted this shot the moment I entered the water and saw the beautiful rays in the water. It was just a matter of waiting patiently for the right subject at the right time. Ignoring the many turtles and sharks below me, I kept looking upwards hoping for the moment. 32 minutes into the dive, a small white-tipped reef shark cruised overhead. Rolling over, I brought the camera up and took this shot before the shark swan out of the frame.

    Edited by antacid
  10. I couldn't tell when the deadline turned out to be, so here are a couple of my favorites.

     

    David-DSC_2582Edited.jpg

     

    Caption: I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. Demille.

    Location: Shiprock, Catalina, California

    Gear: Nikon D80, Ikelite Housing, Nikon 60mm lens, Woody diopter, Ikelite DS125 strobe

    Description: I knew this nudi was in a great position out on a small branch, but I could only hope that the photo was in focus. The skin texture and the transition from purple two orange were just exceptional.

     

    DSC_1050_QE_PB.jpg

     

    Caption: Yep, I'm another Garibaldi, but a real nice one.

    Location: Casino Point, Catalina, California

    Gear: Nikon D80, Ikelite Housing, Nikon 60mm lens, Ikelite DS125 strobe

    Description: My new dSLR setup was brand new. There's nothing better than a Garibaldi for a patient model. They're bold, curious, and brightly colored.

     

    DSC_1191_QE_PB.jpg

     

    Caption: Who says the fish in California are boring?

    Location: Casino Point, Catalina, California

    Gear: Nikon D80, Ikelite Housing, Nikon 60mm lens, Ikelite DS125 strobe

    Description: I was experimenting with bluring the background, so I took the photo at a hard angle to the surface, throwing everything in the back out of focus. I didn't realize that the little piece of kelp was perfectly positioned and focused until afterwards.

     

    Thanks for looking

    David

  11. ooooops :angry:

     

    gallery_37578_7397_193840.jpg

     

    gallery_37578_7397_10645.jpg

     

    gallery_37578_9223_144604.jpg

  12. Are we still in the begining of September Mr Wong?

    Probably not, but here anyway are 3 pictures that I liked this year.

     

    Three of them were taken with Nikon D200 and 10.5mm housed by Aquatica and enlighted by two strobes Nikonos SB105.

     

    The two first pics were shot in Brussel's Nemo33 diving pool: F8, 1/60

    The third pic has been shot in Eilat - Red Sea: F11, 1/60, 100ASA

     

    All the best,

     

    Michel

    post-671-1190035779_thumb.jpg

    post-671-1190035833_thumb.jpg

    post-671-1190035886_thumb.jpg

  13. FANTASTIC images, guys. We've pushed the deadline back to early October, so keep 'em coming. :)

  14. Three favorites for '07

     

    Lemon shark at sunset reflected in the surface, Tiger Beach, Bahamas

    Emma the Supermodel, Tiger Beach, Bahamas

    Sea Lion and Salema, North Seymour, Galapagos

     

    All three were shot with a NikonD200 and 17-55mm lens

    post-5478-1190848610_thumb.jpg

    post-5478-1190848636_thumb.jpg

    post-5478-1190848649_thumb.jpg

    Edited by loftus
  15. Caption: Rhinopias in Hong Kong.

    Location: Hong Kong

    Gear: Canon 30D, 60mm macro, Aquatica housing and 2xINON D2000W strobes.

    Description: Taken on 3rd June 2007, extremely lucky to discover it in Hong Kong.

     

    534037207_1dd5883ab7.jpg

     

    534037203_83c2004388.jpg

    hope to get my third image from the upcoming trip :)

     

    third image :P

    Caption: funny eyes.

    Location: Peurto Galera, Philipines

    Gear: Canon 30D, 60mm macro, Aquatica housing and 2xINON D2000W strobes.

    Description: Taken on 24th August 2007.

     

    1245543620_01231d2869.jpg

  16. Garden Eel at the Hilma Hooker, Bonaire

    Canon 300D with 100mm lens

    bonairefeb2007crw_3049a.jpg

     

     

    Nudibranch at Komodo, Indonesia

    Canon 300D with 100mm lens

    balikomodomay2007crw_4500a.jpg

     

     

    Sand Tiger Shark, North Carolina

    Canon 300d with 10-22mm lens

    northcarolinajuly2007crw_6115a.jpg

  17. post-7955-1190856705_thumb.jpg

     

    caption: Dos Ojos cenote

    location: near Playa del Carmen Mexico

    gear: Nikon D100 in Light&Motion Titan housing, 12-24mm lens

    description: Divers entering the cenote with entrance behind them.

     

    post-7955-1190858382_thumb.jpg

     

     

    caption: Kukulcan cenote

    location: near Playa del Carmen Mexico

    gear: Nikon D100 in Light&Motion Titan housing, 12-24mm lens

    description: Divers near exit of the cenote.

     

    post-7955-1190858486_thumb.jpg

     

     

    caption: Juvenile Trunkfish

    location: Bari Reef Bonaire

    gear: Nikon D100 in Light&Motion Titan housing, 60mm macro lens, single YS120 strobe

    description: Very tiny juvenile trunkfish floating around the top of reef.

  18. Sol1_314_small.sized.jpg

     

    caption: Friendly Lionfish

    location: Grand Central Station, Gizo, Solomon Islands

    gear: Canon G7, Ikelite housing, single Ikelite DS-51

    description: A whole family of lion fish were hovering in a small cave. This one came out to check me out.

     

    Sol1_331_small.sized.jpg

     

    caption: Peaking Nemo

    location: Grand Central Station, Gizo, Solomon Islands

    gear: Canon G7, Ikelite housing, single Ikelite DS-51

    description: A rather long deco stop gave me a chance to check this little guy out.

     

    Nam_097.sized.jpg

     

    caption: Fish Disco

    location: Fish Rock Cave, South West Rocks, Australia

    gear: Canon G7, Ikelite housing, single Ikelite DS-51

    description: Heading back into the cave, a diver coming the other way provided the extra lighting for me.

  19. OK, I'll play in cold water...

     

    California Gold - Garabaldi

    1445505277_a7392e1d70.jpg

    Anacapa Island, CA

     

    3-lined Aeolid

    1446373334_72c0f3d4f1.jpg

    Keystone Jetty, WA

     

    Cave Dwelling Scaly Sculpin

    1446379082_171e75aea5.jpg

    Gulf Islands, Canada

    I like this one the best, these guys are usually super colorful, but he was in a cave and almost pearlescent.

     

    All taken with Nikon D80/60mm macro/Fantasea FD80 housing/Inon z240 or Nikon SB800 strobes.

     

    Jack

  20. I play in cold water, too. :)

     

    jimpatterson_sealions_2007.jpg

    "Wings and Whiskers"

    Lobos Rocks, Big Sur, CA

    Nikon D200, 12-24mm, YS120s, Aquatica, ULCS

    A rare kayak dive out to Lobos Rocks, two California Sea Lion haul outs located off Garrapata State Park. The visibility was only about 40', but the sea lions were abundant, active, and curious. I have only dove here a handful of times due to its remote location, but this time marked the most activity and interaction with the locals. Staying shallow increased my bottom time and also kept the sea lions interested.

     

    jimpatterson_warbonnet_2007.jpg

    "A Jim Henson Creation"

    South Monastery Beach, Carmel, CA

    Nikon D200, 105mm, YS90s, Aquatica, ULCS, Niterider focus light

    After rolling around in the surge on the sandy bottom photographing a sculpin, I gave up and immediately noticed this little guy with one stylish hairdo. He must have been wondering what all the commotion was about. Timing the shots with the surge coupled with trying not to scare the subject back into its den were the main challenges.

     

     

    jimpatterson_anemone_2007.jpg

    "Top to Bottom"

    Mono Lobo, Carmel, CA

    Nikon D200, 10.5mm, YS120s, Aquatica, ULCS

    One of those rare Central Californian days when it's calm, the sun is shining, and the visibility is, well top to bottom. Immediately upon descending, I knew it was a special day, and I quickly looked for a foreground subject to balance the kelp forest vistas.

     

    Jim Patterson

    http://www.jimpattersonphotography.com/

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.