Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Your best shot of 2007 (deadline: early Oct)

Started by echeng ·

  • 119Posts
  • 119Replies

Read-only discussion

Your best shot of 2007 (deadline: early Oct)

119 posts
  1. med_gallery_6756_270_27176.jpg.

     

    'Gammarus wilkitzkii'

     

    Location: Fram Strait (Between Svalbard and East Greenland)

     

    Gear: Olympus C8080WZ in Ikelite housing. Dual Ikelite DS-125 strobes.

     

    Description: The under-ice amphipod staring into the lens from its hide within a little depression in the ice.

    Edited by Thormar
  2. 'Themisto sp.'

     

    Location: Fram Strait (Between Svalbard and East Greenland)

     

    Gear: Olympus C8080WZ in Ikelite housing. Dual Ikelite DS-125 strobes.

     

    Description: Pelagic amphipod in arctic waters. Shot free-swimming in the water column

     

    gallery_6756_270_15239.jpg

    Edited by Thormar
  3. Hi all,

     

    Here's mine! Although I'm not sure they belong in with such awesome images!

    The previous posts all represent an amazing collection of images.

    Thanks to everyone for sharing them-I really enjoyed and was inspired by looking at them.

     

    NapoleonWrasse.jpg

    Napoleon Wrasse (Cheilinus undulatus)

     

     

    Crocodilefisheyes.jpg

    Crocodile eyes! (Cymbacephalus longiceps)

     

     

    Lionfish.jpg

    Lionfish (Pterois volitans)

     

    These were all taken in the Red Sea in May

     

    Camera was an Olympus sp-350 with dual YS110's and a weikamp bulkhead.

     

    The next few are from my place of work-Capernwray Diving centre in the UK. Good viz, but "green" water!

     

     

    070907_DivingatCapernwray_006.jpg

    Divers

     

     

    070703_UnderwaterimagesfromCapernwr.jpg

    Wreck of the "Podsnap"

     

    070824_DivingatCapernwray_013.jpg

    Fibreglass horse known as Shergar

     

    These pictures were taken with a Nikon D2Xs in a Subal ND2, with twin YS-110's and a Tokina 10-17mm

     

    Enjoy

     

    Adam

  4. W1.

    Harmony

    Donsol Bay, Philippines

    Nikon D200, 10.5mm

    Snorkelling with the whale sharks is easy at Donsol Bay

     

    W2.

    Curiosity

    Galapagos, Ecuador

    Nikon D200, 10.5mm, Ikelite DS125

    The sealion came to check me out at 20 metres

     

    W3

    Paparazzi

    Galapagos, Ecuador

    Nikon D200, 10.5mm

    Whale sharks are plentiful at Darwin's Arch

     

    post-5222-1192318199_thumb.jpg post-5222-1192316018_thumb.jpgpost-5222-1192318219_thumb.jpg

  5. Marcus,

     

    Nice photos.

     

    Just one comment, I thought the regulations for swimming with whale sharks at Donsol was minimum of 3m from the sharks to avoid disturbing their natural swim pattern.

     

    Regards

     

    Nigel

  6. I'd like to swap my Morray Eel for this picture, if I'm allowed to... :)

     

    post-6713-1192454089_thumb.jpg

     

    Hungry Whaleshark

    Nikon D100 with Sigma 10-20mm

    La Paz, Mexico

  7. Yes Wobby, that idiot got way too close :)

  8. post-2339-1192545237_thumb.jpg

     

     

    The next snap managed to get the dome port straight of my housing which equaled one dead camera.

     

    Shearwater Bahamas 2007

    Edited by pmooney
  9. THANK YOU for such wonderful images from 2007. As usual, I am amazed by the quality of images that can be in a single thread here on Wetpixel!

     

    Submissions are now closed for the Sport Diver column, but continue posting away. I'm sure we'll see many more great images in the coming months before the end of the year.

  10. Any News from this ?

  11. No news, yet. We made the submission of text and images, and hope to see it soon.

  12. Well, I just downloaded the issue and the photos look great. They did eight shots over two pages. I have to admit I was a bit let down. I was told I was a finalist and I assumed that meant I was going to be in the issue...nope. Oh well. Thanks anyway for the opportunity. -Jim

  13. I haven't even seen it yet! I assume it will be waiting for me when I get home, tomorrow...

  14. Here are the two pages of winners (I downloaded the new issue using Zinio). It's not a high res capture - just a screen print (I don't want to get into to trouble with copyright issues by trying to actually reproduce in high res!), but at least shows who won. Mine didn't make the cut, but I can't argue with the quality of the ones that did win -- congrats to the winners on some great images!

    post-65-1198775060_thumb.jpg

    post-65-1198775091_thumb.jpg

  15. When will there be some more "official" results?

     

    Lasse

  16. Sorry for the delay -- I just received my issue in the mail a day or two ago.

     

    Lasse - the official results are in the magazine! Bruce posted a scan of the 2-page column in message just before yours. I am compiling a list of contributors right now, and will make sure Sport Diver gets the list to send out complimentary issues.

     

    List of folks whose images are in the issue:

     

    Tim Rock

    Stuart Halewood

    Peter Mooney

    Laurent Kbaier

    Lasse Iverson

    Marco Caraceni

    Tom Kline

    Chris Wildblood

     

    Also, Sport Diver has posted a slideshow of selects from the entry pool on their website:

    http://www.sportdiver.com/article.jsp?ID=21336199

    Edited by echeng
  17. Here is the PDF, straight from Sport Diver Magazine. Thank you, everyone, for participating!

     

    sportdiver-images200801.jpg

     

    (PDF download courtesy of Sport Diver Magazine January/February 2008)

    SPD0208__Images.pdf

    Edited by echeng
  18. Hey Eric,

     

    The images are amazing, but the slide show on the Sport Diver website does not do them justice. Many of the photos look blurry or out of focus, which I'm sure they are not. It would also be nice to have some kind of thumbnail guide to help navigate.

     

    I don't like to be critical, but so many of the images are so nice and they are just not being presented very well in that slide show. You may want to pass this along to the web guys in charge of the Sport Diver site.

     

    Bonnie

  19. I found out that the images on the SD site were from DivePhotoGuide submissions only. But yes, the slide show software could have been better designed...

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.