Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Your best shot of 2007 (deadline: early Oct)

Started by echeng ·

  • 119Posts
  • 119Replies

Read-only discussion

Your best shot of 2007 (deadline: early Oct)

119 posts
  1. 1064209660_59e4d5b55a_o.jpg

    Solomon Islands

    Canon 5D 100mm Macro, Sea & Sea, YS120s

    Was following this lion fish waiting for it to come out of the crevice. It didn't, but I like the composition.

     

     

    1474506203_b9699ff634_b.jpg

    Solomon Islands

    Canon 5D 100mm Macro, Sea & Sea, YS120s

    The clowns are always good for safety stop photos. I was trying to get the flow of the anemone in with these two.

     

    1475355630_1bbccb056b_b.jpg

    San Clemente, California

    Canon 5D 100mm Macro, Sea & Sea, YS120s

    Can't pass up taking several pictures of a fish with blue eyes!

    Edited by DavidSD619
  2. Well, I finally learned to scuba and got my Open Water Cert and this is from my first dive!

     

    Eye contact

    2110628560100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

     

    Freedive photo:

    2574400570100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

     

    Probably not a great photo but these little guys are truly bizarre!

    2187485250100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

  3. 3) Barracuda guarding the wreck

     

    Tulamben, Bali, Indonesia

     

    D200, Aquatica, INON Z240 (2) 16mm

     

    2) Chasing Barracuda

     

    South Sulawesi, Indonesia

     

    Same gear

     

    1) Smile for the camera

     

    Wakatobi, Indonesia

     

    Same gear

    post-250-1191409057_thumb.jpg

    post-250-1191409082_thumb.jpg

    post-250-1191409304_thumb.jpg

    Edited by scorpio_fish
  4. I already submitted two earlier in this thread, and it's apparently too late

    to add/edit this one into that post (perhaps a moderator can do it?).

     

    Since this shot seems to be (much to my dismay because it's not a technically

    great photograph) one of the most popular photos I've ever taken, I'll throw it into the mix:

     

    "Cheshire Cat Grin"

    Lemon shark on surface at sunset - Bahamas

    Canon 1D MkII, Sigma 15mmFE in Seacam with Inon Z220 strobes

     

    185007264-M.jpg

    Edited by bmyates
  5. Hi!

     

    An amateur with a P&S working in cold green water hardly stands a chance in this amazing lineup, but I'll give it a shot with three of my greatest from 2007.

     

    1)

    Ridiculously spiky sea urchin resting on ledge.

    shot in

    Trolla, Trondheim, Norway

    using a

    Canon A620 in Canon WP-DC90 housing with Nikonos SB-101 & SU-101 (sic) with home made flash adapter

     

    2)

    A young lobster almost comes out of it's cave to study the strange looking photographer.

    shot in

    Trolla, Trondheim, Norway

    using

    same equipment

     

    3)

    Jellyfish that had lost all it's tentacles (probably during a storm). Still a beautiful creature, almost sad. Skin dive.

    shot in

    Kvaasefjorden, Kristiansand, Norway

    using

    just a Canon A620 in Canon WP-DC90 housing.

    post-14005-1191436413_thumb.jpg

    post-14005-1191436440_thumb.jpg

    post-14005-1191436453_thumb.jpg

  6. All shot with Nikon D70, DS125, Nikon 60mm off the Kona coast of Hawaii.

     

    post-4597-1191437986_thumb.jpg

     

    post-4597-1191438066_thumb.jpg

     

    post-4597-1191438309_thumb.jpg

  7. post-9761-1191460524_thumb.jpg

    Look Out! Here comes Crabzilla

    Cove north of Seymour Narrows, British Columbia, Canada

    Subal housed Nikon D70/12-24 lens

    Instead of fleeing this crab charged towards me as I was laying on the bottom photographing, it was huge.

     

    post-9761-1191460557_thumb.jpg

    Mosshead Warbonnet

    Campbell River Area, British Columbia, Canada

    Nikon D70/105 Micro Nikkor

    This little guy swam in the hole and poked its head out for me.

     

    post-9761-1191460582_thumb.jpg

    A Wolf Eel Peeking out of its Den

    Outside of Grouse Island, Campbell River area British Columbia, Canada

    Nikon D70 with 105 Micro Nikkor lens

    Rumour had it that there was a Wolf Eel at this site and I finally found one.

  8. Lots of fantastic stuff commin in. Here's 3 of mine. This year's theme: open ocean.

    Cheers,

     

    Chris

     

    1. Sunbeams pierce through the deep blue on a rare flat calm as a free diver plunges toward the abyss.

    2. Bermuda

    3. D200, Aquatica, 17-55mm @ 17mm, Canon 500D dioptre.

    4. On the edge of a deep ocean seamount 23 km offshore in nearly 200ft vis during a flat calm, the sunbeams appears to create a reverse sunburst into which the free diver is drawn.

     

    1480632722_ca2464200c.jpg

     

    1. Nearing the end of a 12,000km journey to the North Atlantic from its breeding grounds off South Africa, this Greater Shearwater dives for fish in the rich offshore waters near Bermuda.

    2. Bermuda

    3. D200, Aquatica, 16mm FE, 1 SB-105 strobe

    4. We found this hungry fellow sitting on the water near a seamount 23km off Bermuda and with some bait fish in the water he eagerly pursued ever last morsel. A surprisingly fast swimmer, these oceanic wanderers take on a silvery coat underwater as oil protects their feathers from waterlogging.

     

    1481001758_63695c779c_o.jpg

     

    1. Cautiously curious: This oportunistic wahoo investigates its surroundings as it wanders across the barren open ocean.

    2. Bermuda

    3. D200, Aquatica, 17-55mm at 55mm, Canon 500D dioptre, 1 SB-105 strobe

    4. Over a seamount 23km offshore, a prized wahoo fishing spot, this ocean wanderer investigates the photographer as it searches for a meal...

     

    1455168606_36effc97c7_o.jpg

  9. Away from home, so don't have access to my images, but here are two of my faviourites that are still on my laptop from a recent trip to Puerto Galera in the Philippines. Had to use the old back-up compact for these images as the DSLR was out of action after a flood, very frustrating.

     

    post-13825-1191480515_thumb.jpg

     

    1. Three moray eels sharing a very small hole.

    2. Puerto Galera, Philippines

    3. Olympus C7070, Inon D2000 strobe

    4. We watched these three moray eels for almost five minutes. The little one would not stop moving, kept pushing the other two out of the way like it wanted to be centre stage.

     

    post-13825-1191480863_thumb.jpg

     

    1. Nudibranchs kissing.

    2. Puerto Galera, Philippines.

    3. Olympus C7070, Inon D2000 strobe.

    4. There are some wonderful nudibranchs to be seen off Puerto Galera, but these two, that looked like they were kissing, were simply stunning.

     

    Regards

     

    Nigel

  10. Hello, permission to post my three....

     

    1. Underwater Modeling at Tulamben, Bali

    Nikon D80 in Sea&Sea Housing, Ikelite DS125, Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f2.8

     

    2. Running Amock at Tulamben, Bali

    Nikon D80 in Sea&Sea Housing, Ikelite DS125, Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f2.8

     

    3. Harlequin Shrimp at Seraya Bay, Bali

    Canon 400D in Ikelite Housing, Ikelite DS125, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro

     

     

    cheers,

    Chris

    post-8578-1191511000_thumb.jpg

    post-8578-1191511591_thumb.jpg

    post-8578-1191511641_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Deyez
  11. Wow, there are a lot of amazing pictures! I thought I'd submit my faves anyway. All pictures are taken with a Canon Powershot A610 on a trip to Belize this past February.

     

    The first picture is of an overly curious and friendly yellowtail snapper that kept inadvertently getting in my pictures - finally I gave him the attention he was wanting and took his picture!

     

    The other two pictures are of the amazing Hol Chan Marine Reserve that hosts an abundance of marine life. In the last photo, I was just trying to capture the reefscape when the huge Southern stingray suddenly entered my line of vision and swam straight toward me.

     

    post-8631-1191554152_thumb.jpgpost-8631-1191554200_thumb.jpgpost-8631-1191554230_thumb.jpg

  12. Hello everyone,

    So many great pictures so far.

     

    Gear is a Canon EOS 20D with Canon EF-S 10 - 22 mm F3.5 - F4.5 in an Aquatica A20 Housing

     

    All 3 pictures are taken with natural light.

     

     

    Caption: Mantas Ballet

    Location: Soneva-Fushi, Maldives July 2007

    Datas: 1/90s - F5.6 - 10mm

    Description: Just below the surface these 8 Mantas were turning around feeding like crazy

    Manta1.jpg

     

     

    Caption: Lonely Manta

    Location: Soneva-Fushi, Maldives July 2007

    Datas: 1/45s - F8.0 - 10mm

    Description: After the show, this manta came back, still feeding

    Manta2.jpg

     

     

    Caption: Not a very shy Whale Shark

    Location: Soneva-Fushi, Maldives July 2007

    Datas: 1/250s - F4.0 - 10mm

    Description: This very cool Whale Shark was feeding at the top of a reef, he lives then came back and cross just in the midle of us.

    Whaleshark.jpg

     

    As you can see the water was not very clear because of the large quantity of Plancton in the area.

     

    Enjoy !

    Edited by skinch
  13. 539283143_cc64ab773f_o.jpg

     

    Green Sea Turtle reflecting

    Cousins Rock, Galapagos Islands

    Canon Powershot A620, Ikelite housing, no strobes used for this shot

    Out in the blue, I was following this turtle and shooting madly. Turtle started ascending faster than I wanted to go up. I saw that he would pass between the sun and me, so I waited for the silhouette. The bubble, I confess, was a bonus.

     

     

    539166504_e6831b88da_o.jpg

     

    Throatspotted blenny, endemic to Galapagos Islands

    Cousins Rock, Galapagos Islands

    Canon Powershot A620, Ikelite housing, dual Ikelite strobes (DS-50 and 51), Inon macro lens attachment

    On the wall at Cousins Rock, I was looking for seahorses without luck, but fortunately found this little guy, who was amazingly cooperative.

     

     

    539282991_02925f1a80_o.jpg

     

    Panamic Sea Star, up close and personal

    Cousins Rock, Galapagos Islands

    Canon Powershot A620, Ikelite housing, dual Ikelite strobes (DS-50 and 51), Inon macro lens attachment

    Still on the wall at Cousins Rock, I was still looking for seahorses without luck. These large colorful stars are all over the place in the Galapagos, and I already had a lot of boring whole body shots. I had the Inon attachment on already, so I moved in to get some detail.

     

     

    Hope these aren't too late!

     

    gc

  14. Awesome pic's everybody. Here are my top three for 2007.

     

    All taken in July 2007 in Southern Red Sea around St Johns.

     

    I use Nikon D200 with Sea & Sea Housing and Sea & Sea strobes

     

    Paul

     

    post-887-1191835843_thumb.jpg

    Diver in cave taken on St Johns caves (Red Sea)

    10.5 fisheye lens

    F8 & 1/30 sec

     

    post-887-1191835883_thumb.jpg

    Divers on a wall dive taken on St Johns (Red Sea)

    10.5 fisheye lens

    F5.6 & 125 sec

     

    post-887-1191835913_thumb.jpg

    Small wreck dive in Southern Red

    10.5 fisheye lens

    F5.6 & 1/60 sec

  15. I'm just a keen amateur but I thought I'd submit my best shots from the year

     

     

    post-3303-1191860423_thumb.jpg

    Above: Nassau Grouper

    Carcharias Cut, Northern Bahamas

    Canon EOS 5D with 17-40mm lens in Sea & Sea housing and 120 strobe

    One of my favourite shots, I like the abstract pattern of the fish portrayed in black and white, with the strong contrast creating a moody effect!

     

    post-3303-1191860584_thumb.jpg

    Above: Caribbean Reef Shark

    Carcharias Cut, Northern Bahamas

    Canon EOS 5D with 17-40mm lens in Sea & Sea housing

    Taken on a safety stop, I like the serene feeling of this image

     

    post-3303-1191860674_thumb.jpg

    Above: Swan

    Plymouth, England

    Canon EOS 5D with 17-40mm lens in Sea & Sea housing and 120 strobe

    Something a little different from the usual, just for the hell of it!

  16. It is hard to choose but here are my three

    Sylvie

     

    post-5503-1191873335_thumb.jpgpost-5503-1191872572_thumb.jpgpost-5503-1191872655_thumb.jpg

    Edited by FrenchFrog
  17. Some really great photos in the thread.

     

    I figured I would add a few shots

     

    Canon 30D, 18-55 Lens, Aquatica Housing and a DS-125 Strobe. Shot in Akumal Mexico

     

    010.jpg

     

    020.jpg

     

    030.jpg

  18. Here are 3 of my modest efforts

     

     

    1467679658_0530e42ab5.jpg

     

    decoratorhermitcrabportrait3.jpg

     

    and

     

    1466839465_1f0b0bce7f.jpg

  19. Thank you guys for sharing all the great shots. It is really inspiring

     

    First something a little different from me:

     

    DSC_0028-Edit.jpg

     

    Nikon D200 in Nexus housing, 10,5mm fisheye

     

    F5,6 1/25 sec

     

    The picture is from lake "Lygnstøylsvatnet" in Norway. The lake is actually a valley that was flooded after a rockslide in 1908, and there is remains of houses, plus roads, fences, gates, a bridge and an old forest - all underwater. The atmosphere is really "special"

     

    DSC_0374-Edit.jpg

     

    Nikon D200 in Nexus housing, 10,5mm fisheye - Inon 240 flash

     

    F8,0 1/60 sec

     

    My buddy with a beautiful fancoral in Sharm El SheiK, Red Sea, Egypt

     

    DSC_0552-Edit.jpg

     

     

    Nikon D200 in Nexus housing, 10,5mm fisheye - Inon 240 flash

     

    F8,0 1/80 sec

     

    Diver exploring Raz Mohammad-Sharm El SheiK, Red Sea, Egypt

    Edited by Lasse
  20. 'Wall of Ice'

     

    Location: Fram Strait (Between Svalbard and East Greenland)

     

    Gear: Olympus C8080WZ in Ikelite housing with wide angle converter & dome port. Dual Ikelite DS-125 strobes.

     

    Description: The photo shows the ctenophore Mertensia ovum and its under-ice habitat. Shot on macro setting using wide angle (about 23mm)

     

    gallery_6756_270_32487.jpg

    Edited by Thormar
Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.