Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Your best shot of 2007 (deadline: early Oct)

Started by echeng ·

  • 119Posts
  • 119Replies

Read-only discussion

Your best shot of 2007 (deadline: early Oct)

119 posts
  1. Wow, what great images all around!

     

    Here's something a bit different. This is a split image view of a salt marsh in Three Mile Harbor. Long Island, NY. The image was taken earlier this summer with a Nikon D100 and sigma 24mm 1.8 lens housed in an Ikelite Housing (Thanks again Glen). f6.3 1/160sec. Converted from RAW in Adobe Lightroom.

     

    KarstenMoran-OverUnderb.jpg

     

    Image is copyright Karsten Moran.

    www.karstenmoran.com

  2. post-2172-1190908202_thumb.jpgMy 3rd fav is from channel islands. My first time photographing in a dry suit. I dove for thr first two days cameraless, until I got the confidence to take my "monster" d2x/aquatica inon strobes/10.5
  3. A cuttle fish I Shot in Manila Channel near Sabang beach.

     

    Nikon D200 105mm, Subal, Dule Ike 125 ULCS arms

     

    Images are available in higher res and raw

     

    post-5593-1190915250_thumb.jpg

     

    Some Nudies I shot in Manila channel (same dive)

     

    post-5593-1190915613_thumb.jpg

     

    And here is a nice little Blue ring I also saw while I was in Sabang

    post-5593-1190916244_thumb.jpg

    Edited by diverdon
  4. OK, Here's 3 of my favourites from this year.

     

    400707814_b5613a64e9.jpg

     

    Friendly manta

    Revillagigedos: Canon 20D & 10-22mm, Inon 220/240

    The giant mantas of Socorro are always pleased to see divers.

     

    1316086126_a51125efb0.jpg

     

    Scalloped hammerhead

    Galapagos: Canon 5D & 17-40mm, Inon 220/240

    The shoals of hammerheads never cease to amaze.

     

    1315201321_c522199164.jpg

     

    Whale shark

    Galapagos: Canon 5D & 17-40mm, Inon 220/240

    This was the first really big one I'd seen.

    Edited by Hamish Morrison
  5. Here are three of my favorites:

     

    post-7955-1190926923_thumb.jpg

     

     

    caption: Dos Ojos cenote

    location: near Playa del Carmen Mexico

    gear: Nikon D100 in Light&Motion Titan housing, 12-24mm lens

    description: Divers entering the cenote with entrance behind them.

     

    post-7955-1190926965_thumb.jpg

     

     

    caption: Juvenile Trunkfish

    location: Bari Reef, Bonaire

    gear: Nikon D100 in Light&Motion Titan housing, 60mm lens, single YS120 strobe

    description: Very tiny juvenile trunkfish floating over reef

     

    post-7955-1190927086_thumb.jpg

     

     

    caption: Kukulcan cenote

    location: near Playa del Carmen Mexico

    gear: Nikon D100 in Light&Motion Titan housing, 12-24mm lens, twin YS120 strobes

    description: Divers near the exit of cenote with exit behind them.

  6. Here are a couple of shots that I like. I can't decide on a third so here are my two favorites.

    wetpixel1.jpg

    Lemon Shark and the Shearwater

    Northern Bahamas

    Nikon D200, 16mm lens, Aquatica housing, Ikelite strobes

    I wanted to capture some of the enviroment along with a strong portrait so I staked out this little ledge with the fan and soft corals and waited until one of the Lemon Sharks swam into my scene.

     

    wetpixel2.jpg

    Wild Dolphins

    Northern Bahamas

    Nikon D200, 10.5mm FE lens, Aquatica housing, available light

    I got this shot on my very last attempt when I was almost completely physically exhausted. This group swam up and passed me, only inches away. A high ISO (640) and manually pre-focusing my lens allowed me to get the shot

  7. Hello there,

     

    I'd like to add the attached pic, which could be better than the one I've already previously uploaded.

     

    Michel

    post-671-1190960329_thumb.jpg

  8. I am at a loss at to which picture to choose :)

    post-10236-1190982955_thumb.jpg

    post-10236-1190984586_thumb.jpg

    Edited by diggy
  9. A lot of great photos entries, congratulations everyone !

     

    Here is three of my shots from year 2007:

     

    IMG_3272-Edit-2.jpg

     

    School of jacks and diver

    Dirty Rock, Cocos Island

    Canon EOS 350d + EF-S 10-22mm, Sea&Sea housing, Sea&Sea YS-110 strobe

    Capturing scale of big school of jack fish with help of diver

     

    IMG_3382-Edit-1.jpg

    School of hammerhead sharks and diver

    Alcyone, Cocos Island

    Canon EOS 350d + EF-S 10-22mm, Sea&Sea housing

    shot telling exciting story about diving with school of scalloped hammerheads at Cocos Island

     

    IMG_2694-Edit.jpg

    Close-up shot of scalloped hammerhead shark

    Dirty Rock, Cocos Island

    Canon EOS 350d+ EF-S 10-22mm, Sea&Sea housing, YS-110 strobe

    Rare close encounter with scalloped hammerhead shark. Really love expression on it's face !

  10. Bonaire April 2007

    Canon 350D

    10/22 lens

    Ikelite housing

    Ikelite DS125 single strobe (can ya believe that!)

    post-8944-1191044291_thumb.jpg

  11. BVI

    Moon Jelly at surface, dive boat in background

    natural light

    canon 400D Ikelite housing

    post-8944-1191044565_thumb.jpg

  12. Batfish, GBR

    Jan 2007 Mike Ball Live aboard..

     

    Canon 350d

    Ikelite housing Ikelite Strobe

    Loads of enthusiasum!!

    post-8944-1191045129_thumb.jpg

  13. Great shots from all of you. Hope the three of mine will make up the match.

     

    All three were shot with a Nikon F80 in a Subal housing, using 2 Subtronic strobes and the 105mm macro lens, except the manta trio of course which was shot with ambient light and 20mm wide angle. Slides were scanned with Nikon Cool Scan IV ED.

     

    Grouper and mantas shot on the Maldives in April 2007.

     

    post-6225-1191080539_thumb.jpg

     

    post-6225-1191080606_thumb.jpg

     

    Hawkfish shot on Red Sea Safari St. Johns in August 2007.

     

    post-6225-1191080579_thumb.jpg

     

    Cheers and great dives for all of you!

     

    Robert

  14. Here are mine!

     

    1. Anemonefish nestled in closing anemone

    Maldives July 2007

    Canon 20D with 17-40mm lens at 40mm in Ikelite housing with single DS125 substrobe

    Shot taken on gentle drift dive along reef wall

     

    post-11799-1191082903_thumb.jpg

     

    2. Moray eels contemplating a snack

    Maldives July 2007

    Canon 20D with 10-22mm lens at 22mm with Magic Filter in Ikelite housing

    Shot taken in shallow water on reef top

     

    post-11799-1191082975_thumb.jpg

     

    3. Schooling slate sweetlip

    Great Barrier Reef January 2007

    Canon 20D with 60mm lens in Ikelite housing with single DS125 substrobe

    It took quite a while before these nervous fish allowed me to drift in close enough to take this shot

     

    post-11799-1191083147_thumb.jpg

  15. Hi all,

     

    I am new to this forum. A lot of good shots on this topic! Here are my favorite 3 pictures:

     

    post-6713-1191189976_thumb.jpg

     

    Pufferfish eye

    La Paz, Mexico, September 2007

    Nikon D100 with Nikkor 60mm and SB-600 in Subal Housing

     

     

    post-6713-1191190016_thumb.jpg

     

    Seahorse

    La Paz, Mexico, September 2007

    Nikon D100 with Nikkor 60mm and SB-600 in Subal Housing

     

     

    post-6713-1191190056_thumb.jpg

     

    Spotted Morray Eel

    La Paz, Mexico, September 2007

    Nikon D100 with Nikkor 60mm and SB-600 in Subal Housing

  16. My three best underwater shots of salmon taken thus far in 2007:

     

    post-3540-1191221424_thumb.jpg

     

    #1 _D2X3643-1.jpg

    1. Caption: Migrating pink and chum salmon

    2. Location: Alaska

    3. Gear: Nikon D2X in Seacam housing fitted with Seacam remote release, 10.5mm lens, ULCS arm mounted Inon strobe positioned above the surface as fill flash

    4. Description of the scene of where and how shot was made: Housed camera was placed near edge of a tidal stream at low tide in which many salmon were migrating up to spawning grounds. The majority are pink salmon; the salmon in the upper right is a female chum salmon. Location where shot was taken is about 10km south of photographer’s domicile.

     

    post-3540-1191221644_thumb.jpg

     

    #2 DSC_230-1.jpg

    1. Caption: Mature female, male, and jack sockeye salmon

    2. Location: Alaska

    3. Gear: Nikon D1X in Seacam housing with a remote release cord rigged through a spare flash socket, 10.5 mm lens, ULCS arm mounted Inon strobe positioned above the surface as fill flash

    4. Description of the scene of where and how shot was made: Housed camera was placed in a pool in a shallow wooded stream in which mature sockeye salmon were courting (about 3m upstream of where shot #3 was taken on same day). Location where shot was taken is about 10km north of photographer’s domicile.

     

    post-3540-1191221750_thumb.jpg

     

    #3 _D2X2897-1-2.jpg

    1. Caption: Mature sockeye salmon with one male exhibiting gaping behavior

    2. Location: Alaska

    3. Gear: Nikon D2X in Seacam housing fitted with Seacam remote release, 14mm lens, ULCS arm mounted Inon strobe positioned above the surface as fill flash

    4. Description of the scene of where and how shot was made: Housed camera was placed in a pool in a shallow wooded stream in which mature sockeye salmon were courting (about 3m downstream of where shot #2 was taken on same day). Location where shot was taken is about 10km north of photographer’s domicile.

  17. Man there has been some great pics posted so far.

    How can you compete with that. :D

     

    I'm glad I stuck to moving pictures as I don't think I would of made the same amount of $$$ that I have out of video if I was doing stills. :)

    Edited by wagsy
  18. I'm seriously lovin it !!!!

     

    The hammerheads and diver (patsOn) fantastic..Me want coco's :D

     

    Larry's dolphins...WOW !!!!

     

    And...and ...and...

     

    KUDO's to everyone so far...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  19. Wow, some truly amazing shots posted here. I don't even come within the same galaxy of comparison, but since I just baptized a new camera system, I figure I'll play anyway.

     

    The first photos I've ever posted to Wetpixel ... don't be too mean to me! :D

     

    mid_440-2991A9639E5841F3A481F531FEBED70A.jpg

    Goby in a Bottle, Lembeh Strait, Indonesia

    Canon 5D in Subal housing, 100mm macro, single Inon Z240 strobe

    I was getting ready to ascend from a nice long dive when I saw this little one poke its head out of the neck of the bottle. I dropped down, shot a single frame, and got lucky with the focus and strobe positioning.

     

    mid_440-D39F61FA02C94652A2631CCB2BCD88B7.jpg

    Coleman Shrimp, Lembeh Strait, Indonesia

    Canon 5D in Subal housing, 100mm macro, single Inon Z240 strobe

    It was my last dive in the Strait, and we were looking for harlequin shrimp. Instead the dive guide banged his tank and pointed these out to me. Silly me, I was disappointed because they weren't harlequin shrimp, but now I'm glad I stayed with them as long as I did!

     

    mid_440-0DE1C0E399384B8990CC3A35BADFE397.jpg

    Bearded Fireworm on a Sponge, Cozumel, Mexico

    Canon 5D in Subal housing, 50mm macro, Inon Z240 and D180 strobes

    With lots of particulate matter in the water column and severely reduced viz, we weren't having much luck spotting anything on this dive, so when I saw the bearded fireworm, I decided to spend some time with it. It's not an unusual creature, but I like how the image turned out graphically.

  20. Hi everybody,

    just thought I'd share the joys of cold water diving with you (although not as cold as Alaska, I guess...).

    These are all made in a place called Grevelingenmeer, located in the southwest of The Netherlands. From left to right:

     

    Nr 1 is Grevelingen, anemones. Location called Dreischor. Nikon 801s (yeahyeah) in Subal housing, Sigma 14mm, f8 @ 1/30', Sea&Sea YS 350 strobe at 1/4 power. Made in shallow water about -6 mtr, anemones appear to have climbed up a stone to find a good spot for fishing.

     

    Nr 2 is Grevelingen, sunny day. Same situation as nr. 1, slightly deeper. Same film (Fuji Velvia 100 Asa), note how the weather topside influences the colour of the water. Settings f22 @ 1/30', YS 350 at 1/2 power.

     

    Nr 3 is Eye contact. The lobster left his protection to take a good look at me instead of the other way around. (How is it that we are never afraid of anything when there is a camera between us and the wildlife?) Same camera and housing, Nikon 60 mm macro, f22 @ 1/125'

     

    Best regards,

    --Rob

     

     

     

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.