Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Your Favourite Shot of 2007

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 71Posts
  • 71Replies

Read-only discussion

Your Favourite Shot of 2007

71 posts
  1. With Christmas and New Year fast approaching it seems the appropriate time to bring this up again.

     

    I know that Eric has already run a similar thread for his Sport Diver Images Column, but I thought it was still worth reviving this Wetpixel tradition (see the 2005 and 2006 editions), considering the Sport Diver submission is now closed.

     

    The rules here are slightly different and pretty simple. This should be your favourite (not necessarily best) underwater photo taken during 2007. And you can only post one image. Although I should add that rule breaking has become something of a tradition too!

     

    Feel free to post why you like it and the kit you used, but it is not essential.

     

    Alex (looking forward to seeing more great images)

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  2. post-13968-1198079170_thumb.jpg

     

    I found this scorpion fish tucked under the Gubal Barge on the first night dive of 2007.

     

    It was shot using the standard lens of the DX 8000G and a single YS-25 as I was attempting (successfully I think) 'Rembrant' style, directional lighting. I like the strong contrast between the light and shadow and the way detail has been emphasised. The bonus, for me, is the 'human' quality of the fish's gaze.

     

    I liked this one so much, I used it for my avatar...

    Edited by Timmoranuk
  3. mouth.jpg

    Here's mine. Nikon D200, Aquatica housing, 16mm 3.5 (old manual focus version), Ikelite DS125:

    Manual exposure and focus, f11 @ 1/100

    This was shot on my last Shearwater trip and demonstrates a newly discovered (at least they said it was) cleaning behavior where the lemon sharks either swim or lay on the bottom with their mouths wide open so the small rmoras can enter.

  4. Here is mine. It is a portrait of a leafy seadragon.

     

    mustard_2007.jpg

     

    Taken in the South Australia. With Nikon D80 + 60mm macro. 2 x Inon Z240s.

     

    Having finished by book on coral reefs it was time for new adventures - so I bought my first drysuit, learned to use it and during the second half of the year started to explore temperate waters.

     

    As well as squeezing my drysuit into my luggage for Australia - I also managed a second camera system without going overweight. This guy and many of his friends were in just 3m of water - so after shooting the D2X for a while I got out, walked back to car changed camera and carried on. Made it all worthwhile!

     

    Alex

  5. WOW alex, that shot is amazing,incredible, what else can I say

  6. My favorite,as usual is always something from my last dive. Being from s. cal, I purchased a dry suit to focus more on local diving. I'm finally starting to get comfortable in it. I spent alot of time looking for macro on the kelp. I was hoping to find a colorful snail or nudi. Instead these guys were everywhere. I like the composition of this one

    post-2172-1198082975_thumb.jpg

  7. This is my favourite on the year. Taken at Masra Shagra near Marsa Alam in the Red Sea with a 60mm macro lens on D70 in a S&S housing with 2 YS90s.

    post-9863-1198087063_thumb.jpg

  8. I have not been diving (except snorkeling with manatees once) since August. :blush:

    But I have been in the pool a bit.

    Here is my favorite pool shot (with clothes on) in the last few months.

    post-5478-1198088317_thumb.jpg

  9. Taken at the Liberty Wreck, Bali

     

    IMG_7961-1.jpg

  10. Of my first year shooting u/w pictures, this my favourite. Taken with a D100, Sigma 10-20 (at 10mm) and a single strobe. The water that day contained a lot of plankton, which brought a lot of Whalesharks, but also limited viz. Luckily, this one turned out ok.

     

    Cheers

    Vincent

     

    208262562-M-1.jpg

     

    Feeding Whaleshark: Mogote, La Paz - Baja California, Mexico

  11. Has to be this one from the Outer Pinnacles in Carmel, California. D200, Tokina 10-17 in a Subal Housing.

     

    DSC5424.jpg

     

    Clinton

  12. Great smile and lovely teeth always make me happy all the day.

    This was taken at night dive in Similan. (D200,60mm)

     

    369785574_8a7811a4e7.jpg

     

    :blush: Happy New Year!

  13. This was the first crevice kelpfish that I've seen that was actually in a crevice.

    This shot was taken in Carmel, California.

     

    IMG_3706.jpg

     

     

     

    .mike

    Edited by chilipino
  14. Excellent shots guys - keep them coming!

     

    Here's one of my favorite sea-lion pix from November:

     

    VC9H8815.jpg

     

    Shot on FF w/ the Canon 24L

     

    Cheers

    James

  15. Hard to pick a favorite! Here is one from the last day when it was possible to mix ambient light with fill flash while shooting mature coho salmon. November 3rd. The exposure was 1/20 at ISO 400. These types of shots will be easier with a D3!! B)

    Note the blurs at the nose and fins; re-suspended sediment around anal fin.

    Merry Christmas and Happy 2008! :blush:

     

    PS - the colors are much duller when looking at them after posting on wetpixel; Image OK with a jpeg viewing SW not used to create posted shot. ???

    post-3540-1198120825_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Tom_Kline
  16. This one seemed to be the fav of everyone because it told a poignant story (that is because it is a poignant story......). Funny you can encounter better viz, better natural light, better lots of things but ultimately it is the subjects that dictate the impact of the photo. This resilient mother in tender moment with her very little calf were even more fascinating than I can capture in one photo.

    [Forgot to add: Subal/d200/16mm]

     

    EditedinCS3-13copy6x.jpg

     

    Best, Carol

     

    PS:

    But, my fav pic is here (I won't post two cause that would be "cheating"..... :blush: )

    Winter the dolphin

    Edited by seagrant
  17. I like this Stellar Sealion from Hornby Island BC. It is so much fun to swim and romp with these elegant and curious creatures.

     

    76643127.jpg

     

    Dave

  18. Although there may be many better....BUT i love this one....It took quite some chasing to get this one right :blush:

     

    Cheers,

     

    Diggy

    post-10236-1198137181_thumb.jpg

  19. Here is mine. Taken on North Male Atol - Maldives in september.

     

    1198139212.jpg

     

    Martin

  20. Alex, Larry & Martin: your shots are awesome! wow.

     

    here is my favourite ... for sure not my best shot this year, but definately my favourite. i just loved the moment, when i found this 3m guitarshark together with 3 juveniles just infront of our hotel jetty ...

    post-5531-1198140385_thumb.jpg

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.