Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Your favourite shot of 2006

Started by Rocha ·

  • 134Posts
  • 134Replies

Read-only discussion

Your favourite shot of 2006

134 posts
  1. Last year Alex started a very popular topic in which we were supposed to post our best shots of 2005. There were some amazing images posted:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10989

     

    Continuing with the tradition, I am asking now that you post your best shot of 2006. Remember, only one image allowed and a short explanation of why you consider this your best shot. Here is mine:

     

    jelly.jpg

     

    Nothing too unique or especially difficult about it, just brings me memories of one of my best dive trips. Taken with the D2x, Nikon 16mm fisheye and 2 Ikelites SS200.

     

    Now let's see yours!

     

    Luiz

    Edited by Rocha
  2. My favorite; it was just so cool to dive the Oriskany a couple of weeks after the sinking.

    This wreck is huge, and I plan to go back once a year for a while.

    post-5478-1166325738_thumb.jpg

  3. Blue_manatee_web.jpg

     

    I call it "Blue Manatee".

     

    Why? Well it is the first series of shots with my new DSLR I'm learning. It was an incredible day with the manatee - I actually got other shots where I like the "behavior" and interaction better, maybe even other shots that tell a better story or have better composition.....

    But my jaw dropped when I saw the colors in this one. I hope it communicates on all monitors. Plus it is pretty much straight out of the camera. I'm proud of that because I'm just learning..... [d200/16mm/subal dome]

     

    Blue Manatee - haunting, primal, sweet-natured, aesthetic above and beyond - but also "blue" in the sense that his future is uncertain.

     

    It is a "blue" and bittersweet shot. I'm picking it as my best because it captured a uniquely "blue" moment in time.

     

    Carol

    Edited by seagrant
  4. I don't know if this is the best shot of '06 but it is my favorite.

    best06.jpg

  5. _KRN0046.jpg

     

    This is my eight year old mermaid. Of all the UW shots I had the opportunity to take in 2006, this one is still my favorite!

  6. This is probably mine.

     

    I spent a couple of days takin pics of these guys and this one really stands out for me. Not the best shot or the most unique subject, but damn i got a sore arm holding the housing vertical for an hour!

     

    YAP02575MV.jpg

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  7. Excellent stuff. Keep the favourites coming...

     

    Alex

  8. O.k its not underwater but its the location for my new film... and I haven't got a housing and its not my camera. But its my fave of this year..

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

    post-5159-1166358050_thumb.jpg

  9. Dean great pic there. :P

     

    Okay not much of still guy but here is mine..Beauty and the Beast.

    Queensland Grouper under the Exmouth Navy Pier.

    Yep he was big and we got real close :D

     

    grouper8.jpg

     

    grouper4.jpg

  10. Just to be weird: here's a shot housed in a very large dome! I got lucky and the flash and external light balanced, and the 10.5 didn't make John look any weirder than he usually does. Below 1000' on the wall at Cocos:

    SubCocosJohn.jpg

  11. This is my favorite shot, taken on a not so favorite trip to Roatan. I spent hours photographing these guys, but this expression makes me laugh. I call it Stella! (as in Streetcar Named Desire) It's in the January Scuba Diving magazine.

    Cheers,

    Marli

    post-1116-1166378938_thumb.jpg

    Edited by scubamarli
  12. El Bajo, ascending into the wide blue....one of my favourite dives this year.

     

     

    I also wanted to add a bizzare find... (happy.jpg)

    post-600-1166378433_thumb.jpg

    post-600-1166378897_thumb.jpg

    Edited by gorgipark
  13. Don't you hate people who can't follow the rules :P

     

    d20060712-010.jpg

     

     

    Seastar, barnacles and a coral hawkfish on Alcyone. d200, 12-24mm lens @ 24 mm, 1 x SS200 on manual. I like this shot as it is a reminder that there are often things on the dive site other than what you came for...

     

     

    And here I go, breaking the rules...

     

    d20060706-074.jpg

     

    Two frigates off Cocos Island. I'm going to call this my favourite topside image :D

     

    d200, 70-200 AFS Lens (handheld) @ f2.8.

  14. Since there is already a blenny shot. this is my favorite nudibranch shot of 2006. I like it because the lighting gives it an ethereal glow. Shot with a 1Ds MarkII, Subal housing, 100mm Macro, twin ds 125's.

     

    imasleeper

  15. Not my best shot, but loved the subject matter.post-72-1166421972_thumb.jpg

    Also shot at El Bajo seamount; sea of Cortez.

    Edited by davephdv
  16. IMG_2706.jpg
  17. Not my best shot, but loved the subject matter.post-72-1166421972_thumb.jpg

     

     

    I hate you Dave...

     

    :P

  18. Hard!

     

    Like so often, my favourite shot is not necessarily my best. The favourite ones being the images taken deep, dark and in poor viz...

     

    This one is a good compromise in between.

     

    Red%20Sea%202006-06-26_045_sample.jpg

     

    Taken during Alex's Red Sea workshop last summer. Apart being a nice picture, I like the fact that this was really "made" in stead of "taken".

     

    timo

  19. I hate you Dave...

     

    ;)

     

    Ditto Dave! :wacko:

     

    Todd

  20. Well Dave i love ya, for that lovely Orca shot... :D

     

    Cheers wags, I liked the underwater wedding photo's you posted or though you looked a bit green in the gills on that shot ;) Lost some weight though i see :D:wacko:

     

    Sorry just can't resist it...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.