Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Your favourite shot of 2006

Started by Rocha ·

  • 134Posts
  • 134Replies

Read-only discussion

Your favourite shot of 2006

134 posts
  1. My first trip shooting digital and I was in my favorite location Mabul/Sipadan Islands. Not my best shot of the year, but I was trying new things and participating in u/w photoweek so the results are pleasing to me.

    post-6109-1166712723.jpg

  2. wow, beautiful shots guys... and a nice variety o themes...

     

    a bit hesistant to post considering that most of your pics could have been contest winners or cover pages on diving magazines...

     

    something about this shot of my DM who was swimming along this wall in Bohol, Philippines...

     

    This was from my first trip with my DSLR and just after spending a few days absorbing some great tips from Mike Veitch in Anilao and Puerto Galera...

     

    IMG_1524rev.jpg

  3. Finally, I am in the UK for long enough to contribute to this discussion with an image. There have been some stunning images so far, and like everyone else I find it very difficult to chose a favourite. Also shooting as much as I do, images from the beginning of the year seem very old now!

     

    To narrow things down, two trips really stand out this year for me, as both were firsts: the Wetpixel Bahamas trip in March and the Seahorse Raja Ampat/South Birdshead trip in November. So I guess I will have to choose from those two. And since I am not currently sharing my West Papua images online - Bahamas it must be.

     

    Actually narrowing it down to just one trip doesn't help much. That was such a great trip, tigers, hammers, bulls, lemons - were all new species to me. But I am actually going to choose a shot of a species I had seen before, a reefy. My main aim for that trip was to try and do something different photographically, from all the great shark images I had seen before. And I was pleased that I achieved that with this one.

     

    alex_21.jpg

    Taken with a Nikon D2X + 12-24mm lens (with a dioptre, of course!).

     

    Alex

  4. Alex, it's got to be particularly tough for you -I'm sure any of your shots I could choose as my best. But isn't it amazing that a good black and white shot is still so special. My new year rez is to get my digital B&W to the level I had it when I spent hours in the darkroom with film.

  5. post-1676-1166719649_thumb.jpg

     

     

    This one is one of my favorite this year, its from a Stuart Cove trip I did with Todd Essick and 3 drop dead gorgeous model, 30 plus shark on most dive, 5 days in a row, 3 to 4 dive a day. AAAAAAAHHHHHH ! I wanna go back ! :wacko:

     

     

    I hope Cronix wasn't wearing a tuxedo when he took thoses shots of the Leopard Seal, last thing you wanna look like in antartica is lunch!!!! :-)

    Edited by Viz'art
  6. This was the best of two magical days at Roca Partida, diving with a family of humpback whales.

     

    post-830-1166720303_thumb.jpg

  7. Nice shot Alex..

     

    lonely looking shark..Could be used for highlighting the dramatic effect of the shark finning industry...

     

    Or as an Athena poster...!

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

    Edited by DeanB
  8. This is my most memorable shot, simply because it was almost my last. Shortly after I finished shooting (my 1st rhynopia), a weighted fishing net was thrown on top of me. I should probably add that I was extremely low on air and had left my dive knife on the boat. Thankfully, my DM eventually came to the rescue. BEWARE @ TK3!!! :wacko:

    post-6207-1166725407_thumb.jpg

  9. Not my best, but my favourite for 2006 because after too many attempts on lots of dives I finally nailed it:

     

    Ningaloo06-14.jpg

  10. This is my most memorable shot, simply because it was almost my last. Shortly after I finished shooting (my 1st rhynopia), a weighted fishing net was thrown on top of me. I should probably add that I was extremely low on air and had left my dive knife on the boat. Thankfully, my DM eventually came to the rescue. BEWARE @ TK3!!! :wacko:

     

     

    Whoa!!!

     

    THat would suck... where is TK3?

     

    Cool shot though

     

    Not my best, but my favourite for 2006 because after too many attempts on lots of dives I finally nailed it:

     

    Ningaloo06-14.jpg

     

     

    Thats awesome, love how you can see the eyes of the wrasse in there..

  11. My 2 favorites for this year...

     

    both taken at the Tubbataha National Marine Sanctuary, Sulu Sea Philippines.

     

    Tub_Manta_1.jpg

     

    and

     

    Tub_5D_Sunburst_2.jpg

     

    This one is hanging in in the office of the Tubbataha Marine Park Management office and another print was auctioned in a recent fund raiser to benefit Tubbataha Reef National Marine Park.

     

    Sadly, the boat we were on in April sank when the a Super Typhoon hit the Philippines in November with the loss of the Mess Steward

     

    Stu

    Edited by scubastu
  12. Here is my favorite photo of 2006

    It is of an 18kg Leatherback turtle shedding saltwater tears.

     

     

    Moved to correct thread by Moderator

    Edited by Drew
  13. Some great shots. I love the whale shots. Both of them. They are on my dream list. Roca Partida this Feb; weather permitting.

  14. It's hard to pick just one favorite from 2006. This image of two sailfin blennies fighting is one of my better attempts this year. The shot is more luck than talent. It was taken with my old Oly c5050, 2x DS-125s and stacked macro lens adapters.

     

    blenny4.jpg

  15. Geez...you guys amaze me. Some really great images here.

     

    I tought I would add one just so ALL the posted pics aren't potential contest winners. :wacko:

     

    I like this one simply because of the time it took to get it. I camped out in the sand for most of the dive and took over 50 shots of this little jawfish excavating his new home. I kept firing away trying to get one of him spitting sand. He finally got comfortable with me being there and went about his business. Not a great photo (heck, none of mine are) but special to me just the same.

     

    post-2595-1166761872_thumb.jpg

    Edited by dmoss
  16. There are some great shots being posted here. This is my fav of the year. Shot in Lembeh last month.

    Happy Holidays to all.

    lembeh12060025_std.jpg

  17. This was the best of two magical days at Roca Partida, diving with a family of humpback whales.

     

    post-830-1166720303_thumb.jpg

     

    This gets my vote. That's fantastic! Love the tiny diver in the background.

  18. For me Antarctica was my best trip I think. But Mozambique comes very close

     

    very dramatic photos!! wonderful.

    Today i bought the new "Unterwasser" (german diving magazine) and i saw your picture there!

    Congratulation for the big article!!!

     

    never thought that sea leopard could be that dangerous :wacko:

  19. Well as I'm shooting again I thought I'd throw my favorite in as well, put one of them fancy borders on it to! it took about 30 minutes to get but as soon I got it I knew I'd like it. They move around so much.

     

    WazUp.JPG

     

    Edit: moved to the correct topic by moderator.

    Edited by Rocha
  20. This was the best of two magical days at Roca Partida, diving with a family of humpback whales.

     

    post-830-1166720303_thumb.jpg

     

    That is a fantastic image. Very good composition, very well balanced.

     

     

    very dramatic photos!! wonderful.

    Today i bought the new "Unterwasser" (german diving magazine) and i saw your picture there!

    Congratulation for the big article!!!

     

    never thought that sea leopard could be that dangerous :wacko:

     

    Ah, so Unterwasser has hit the streets. I am very happy to have my first article in there. Still waiting for my own copy. I have only seen a rough pdf so far.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.