DP Review has come to the same conclusion saying in their review that the GH-1 is "the best implementation of video on a non-compact so far" and the optimized for video 14 to 140 lens is much quicker than on the current DSLR's and is very usable.
I am sure that other testers have conflicting results, I just haven't read them myself. It also appears to me after several years of watching Wetpixel that many here respect the reviews of these two sites.
Phil,
I tend to much more conservative with the usage of words like "best". The 14-140 is nice with the stepless aperture control, except even though it is stepless, it adjusts to light conditions slowly compared to a consumer vid camera. In most cases, anyone shooting video would have exposure settings fixed and adjusted manually anyhow.
Furthermore, with cameras coming out every few months, the "best" don't stay the best very long. I think criteria is the better way to list features. Furthermore, when stills guys review video standards, their criteria are much different than what video people look for. And vice versa. The issues with vertical banding and AVCHD's pixel blocking etc are probably overlooked because they weren't looking for it. Just like many don't look for the aliasing on the 5D2 clips, when it's so obvious.
I mean the GH1 has nice features like variable fps, continuous clip recording and a purpose built lens for video. For underwater, the smaller sensor has better DOF which makes it easier for people to focus. Of course, the drawbacks will be more noise, lack of fast wide angle lenses and average codec for video, among other things.
For stills, at 12mp with 12bit DR vs 18mp and 14bit DR of the 7D, especially for cleaner high ISO, which would you choose?