Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Panasonic GF1

Started by davephdv ·

  • 181Posts
  • 181Replies

Read-only discussion

Panasonic GF1

181 posts
  1. Whoops - looks like I had it wrong. That's what glance reading will do to you.

     

    It was indeed a G2 and G10, thus replacements for the G1 and GH1 form-factor, not GF1. My source was engadget:

     

    http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/panason...ams-in-macro-f/

     

    Sorry about that... :clapping:

    Edited by rtrski
  2. The 7-14mm w/ dome port would be: 7 * 2 * .67 = 9.4mm

     

    No, that isn't correct. The dome retains the in air field of view of the lens, so a 7mm lens on m4/3 in water has the same fov as a 7mm lens on m4/3. The diagonal fov of the 7-14 is 114 degrees, which is a more appropriate measuring stick than a multiplied focal length.

     

    Heinrichs Weikamp also has an electrical lumix TTL converter. S-TTL is accurate enough that I don't feel it necessary to install it, though.

  3. No, that isn't correct. The dome retains the in air field of view of the lens, so a 7mm lens on m4/3 in water has the same fov as a 7mm lens on m4/3. The diagonal fov of the 7-14 is 114 degrees, which is a more appropriate measuring stick than a multiplied focal length.

     

    Heinrichs Weikamp also has an electrical lumix TTL converter. S-TTL is accurate enough that I don't feel it necessary to install it, though.

     

    OK that makes sense... according to this UWL-100 chart (http://www.camerasunderwater.info/optics/inon/uwl100.html) the coverage of the UWL 67mm screwed onto the 20mm pancake port would be ~85 degrees or ~115 degrees with the Inon dome port - any thoughts on how the quality of that may compare with the 7-14mm + 7-14mm dome port? It would be more modular and you could change all the way to wet mount macro underwater, not to mention save the cost of the dome port......

     

    Rob

  4. You would shoot a housed Oly or Panasonic land strobe. Probably not the best idea. I think the Inon would work in manual mode only via an electrical cord, but I've not tried it.

     

    Jack

     

    Doesn't Inon have a housing for the GF-1? I would imagine that would work with Inon's S-TTL system, although I don't know much about the Inon GF-1 housing. It also looks like the 10Bar housing could be used to optically fire strobes with S-TTL, since it has a window by the flash.

  5. OK that makes sense... according to this UWL-100 chart (http://www.camerasunderwater.info/optics/inon/uwl100.html) the coverage of the UWL 67mm screwed onto the 20mm pancake port would be ~85 degrees or ~115 degrees with the Inon dome port - any thoughts on how the quality of that may compare with the 7-14mm + 7-14mm dome port? It would be more modular and you could change all the way to wet mount macro underwater, not to mention save the cost of the dome port......

     

    Rob

     

    I don't think that is correct. The Inon 100WAL with dome is a semi-fisheye lens, the diagonal FOV underwater with the Oly pancake lens, which is a 35mm equivalent, should be around 130 degrees, maybe slightly less, when fitted with the Inon 100WAL with dome. I took my dome equipped 100WAL to a friend who owns an EP-1 with the pancake lens. In fact, I was able to use the camera for an entire day. Holding the Inon lens in place indicates to me that the combination has potential and that a very wide FOV was achieved similar to the lens on my 570 and S90. Now, will it really work, I cannot say, it looked promising if the port is very compact for the fixed focal length pancake lens.

     

    You cannot directly compare a rectilinear lens to a fisheye type, the Inon 100WAL is a fisheye lens, it has barrel distortion and the image wraps back quite a bit in the corners. The focal length calculations will not work with a fisheye lens, review the below site:

     

    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/techn...ld_of_view.html

  6. Doesn't Inon have a housing for the GF-1? I would imagine that would work with Inon's S-TTL system, although I don't know much about the Inon GF-1 housing. It also looks like the 10Bar housing could be used to optically fire strobes with S-TTL, since it has a window by the flash.

    Yes, the 10bar housing can optically fire. That's how I'm using mine.

  7. No, that isn't correct. The dome retains the in air field of view of the lens, so a 7mm lens on m4/3 in water has the same fov as a 7mm lens on m4/3. The diagonal fov of the 7-14 is 114 degrees, which is a more appropriate measuring stick than a multiplied focal length.

     

    Heinrichs Weikamp also has an electrical lumix TTL converter. S-TTL is accurate enough that I don't feel it necessary to install it, though.

     

    Anyone know where I can find Heinrichs Weikamp?

     

    Chris

  8. Anyone know where I can find Heinrichs Weikamp?

     

    Chris

     

    Info here:

     

    http://www.heinrichsweikamp.net/

     

    You can buy them at reef photo, one of the great service retailers and supporters of this web site.

     

    http://reefphotovideo.com/

     

    Happy reef customer and user of heinrichs optical slave.

  9. I have just got the 10bar housing for the GF1. I find it difficult to use the key mode: sometimes it works sometimes it does not. It works sometimes when I press down the key then turn it once fast. Has one of you had the same problem?

  10. No answer? This problem is really frustrating and I only use one mode underwater for fear I make a wrong mode selection by turning the key (the wheel has a smooth surface and that may be why it is difficult to change the mode : the wheel on the housing does not drive properly/at all the key on the camera). This is worth taking into account if you consider buying a 10bar housing for the GF1.

     

    The zoom wheel I am not using as I only shoot macro in autofocus mode but as the driven wheel also has a smooth surface I suspect it may be difficult to zoom correctly therewith.

     

    If I discover that the Inon has better wheels and more user friendly keys, I will regret my purchase of the 10bar .... Aaaarggghhhh....

  11. Jofish, not sure if you bought this from me, but if you contact your dealer they should be able to get you another control wheel. They are simple to change out with an allen wrench. You might try wiping both the wheel and the control off with rubbing alcohol, they tend to get oil from your fingers on them and then slip.

     

    Jack

  12. My first pictures with the GF1, leica 45mm, Seatool housing and two S2000 in sTTL

     

    Jpegs without editing

     

    Regards

     

    p1010689.jpg

     

    p1010731k.jpg

     

    p1010743q.jpg

     

    p1010672l.jpg

     

    p1010701o.jpg

     

    p1030065.jpg

     

    p1030071g.jpg

     

    p1030048x.jpg

     

    p1030086a.jpg

     

    p1030033.jpg

     

    Marc Casanovas

    www.marccasanovas.net

  13. My first pictures with the GF1, leica 45mm, Seatool housing and two S2000 in sTTL

     

    Jpegs without editing

     

    Regards

     

    Marc Casanovas

    www.marccasanovas.net

     

    Marc,

    You are one stealthy dude. Nice pics and thanks for posting. Do you recall the aperture settings for you shots?

    Bob

  14. Thanks for sharing Marc! Great pics!

  15. Nice! That 45mm Leica looks very sweet indeed.

     

    Jack

  16. Yes , thanks for posting Marc !

     

    Very impressive images. and just to clarify you did not use any wetlenses or dioptres ?

    I think that is one sweet lens.

  17. Thank you very much. Sorry for my English :)

     

    Aperture macro 22 and fishes 14-18 and any wetlens used

  18. Some pictures taken with GF1 in 10bar housing with 45mm macro lens.

     

    Shutter speed 1/125, diaphragm 11 (using preprogrammed C1, C2-1, C2-2 modes).

     

    Picture taken in RAW then developed in jpg using Panasonic supplied software and then compressed with Microsoft Office Picture Manager from ca 4-5MB (jpg) to ca 100kb. Other than that pictures not edited.

     

    The lens is in my opinion very good (may not be apparent in the attached pictures due mainly to bad compression with MOPM.

     

    Unfortunately no possibility with 10bar to manual focus the 45mm macro, which is a pity in some circumstances.

    post-28468-1276152545.jpg

    post-28468-1276152562.jpg

    post-28468-1276152574.jpg

  19. Marc: That octopus eye shot is spectacular, I love the framing.

     

    I wish I had half your photo skills, and more like 4x your approach skills. You must be covered in scales and never breathe or something! :D

  20. Pictures look great!

    How have you found using the buttons on the 10 bar while diving?

    And how do the buttons/controls feel?

    I'm trying to decide whether to wait for the Inon housing, but i reckon it will be alot more expensive.

    What's your thoughts, since you have used the 10 bar? how would you rate it?

    Cheers

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.