Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Panasonic GF1

Started by davephdv ·

  • 181Posts
  • 181Replies

Read-only discussion

Panasonic GF1

181 posts
  1. Thanks for the advice so far. I know it was a broad question, and that the obvious response is, "it depends", but general comments can be very useful. The close-focus wide-angle benefits of the 8mm fisheye are definitely an attraction, but I have to weigh that up against the flexibility of the 7-14mm zoom ( and the fact that its port can be shared with the 'kit' 14-45mm lens ).

     

    In all hope and probability, I'd be wanting to photograph larger pelagic and cetacean life on the move.

     

    The part no. for the 8mm port Jack mentions is on the UK distributor website I have been looking at....and apparently due here soon.

  2. Hi All,

     

    I just got to use the new 10Bar Housing from HK with my GF1 14-45mm setup. I borrowed it from my friend who got it last week and he was kind enough to let me try it out. I was using a Remora strobe for the setup.

     

    On the case, I liked the ease of the dedicated buttons. Although I have no experience with the previous version, the revised housing was easy to use and the buttons were accessible. I didnt feel I had to do much more on this setup than my Lumix tz3 and canon g11 setup with manufacturer casings. the only function i needed to get used to was the zooming in/out. with my previous setup since they were point and shoots all i had to do was move a lever around to zoom in/out.

     

    Being the first time using this setup, I was quite disappointed with using my kit lens 14-45mm. I though i was going to be able to use it stock but I could not focus on objects without having to move out to let the camera focus on the subject. No luck using auto nor manual focus. Would anyone know what causes this?

     

    Two suggestions have been given to me. One is to use a focus light. The second is to use a 2x macro lens. Will this enable me to take close up macro shots?

     

    Im worried that I will invest in my own housing and the accessories and get subpar photos. I got the GF1 thinking it would be better than my point and shoots.

     

    I would have to say the wide angled shots and videos were quite amazing. I had to fiddle with some settings (not as easy to use as the underwater settings for the point and shoots) but it came out ok.

     

    btw, i noticed water consistently breached the outer oring but the second (seems to be main) O-ring prevented water from seeping into the case. Is this normal or should both be water tight? From what I see in the case design it seems water would enter the first seal. I was able to bring the case to 25m only and no leaks occured.

     

    My main reason for this setup was for macro shots so hope someone can give me suggestions. Due to budget constraints I have to work with my kit lens for now. I would get the 45mm macro but I wont be able to spend that much more. I can get an Olympus 2x 67mm macro lens and the 10bar wet lens mount but thats it.

     

    Thanks

  3. Hello!

     

    Couple of guestions:

    Does anybody know if 7-14 will fit to first generation GF1 housing with zoom port for 14-45?

     

    Does 10bar offer "upgrade" for current customers (new backplate)? I have not asked from 10bar directly yet...

     

    -Jayel

  4. Jayel;

     

    No the 7-14 needs the second generation zoom port. You can buy it separately. You will also need gear sets, the 14-45 gears come with the port.

     

    10Bar will do an upgrade on a limited basis, he doesn't have a lot of spare backs.

     

    Jack

  5. Jayel;

     

    No the 7-14 needs the second generation zoom port. You can buy it separately. You will also need gear sets, the 14-45 gears come with the port.

     

    10Bar will do an upgrade on a limited basis, he doesn't have a lot of spare backs.

     

    Jack

     

     

    Thanks for good info Jack.

     

    -Jayel

  6. is the 10bar 14-45mm port acrylic or glass? i put a big scratch into mine and want to try to micro mesh it out.

  7. It's acrylic, you should be able to polish it if it's not too deep.

     

    Jack

  8. It's acrylic, you should be able to polish it if it's not too deep.

     

    Jack

    thanks jack

     

    one thing to note for anyone purchasing the 10bar housing for the gf1 is the backplate. i have the first release. although i like the housing, i actually hate the back plate! and i am annoyed that the updated backplate cost so much as a replacement. i bought the housing recently, i think i shouldn't have to pay £250 or $250 in hong kong to have it "updated". it was updated for a reason, because it's terrible for non point and shooters, so give it to us at manufacturing and shipping price! ok rant over

  9. I picked up my new 10-Bar housing a couple of weeks ago, but it hasn't been in the water yet. Testing it out ( empty ) on Thursday. It's a 2nd generation model, and the backplate seems to fit ok. Two things I have found quite difficult.

     

    First was fitting zoom gear to the 7-14mm lens. The zoom ring is pushed forward as far as it can go without slipping off , and it only just makes contact with the port sprocket. Also, the zoom sprocket makes contact at the same time with the focus ring, so both move simultaneously. I don't anticipate that being a major problem though.

     

    The big issue I have had so far, was after taking all the 'o' rings off for cleaning and re-greasing. The wider / thicker outer 'O' ring for the dome port took forever to replace. It is a very tight fit in the groove. My Wife managed to do it in the end, pushing it with a flat piece of plastic. I don't know why that one in particular was so problematical, as all the others were fine ( including the 20mm port 'o' rings ). Anyone else had this problem?

     

    Lastly, I have a Fix focus light that I want to mount on the housing. The housing has an M8 thread on top. would anyone know what arm I could use for this? My local underwater camera shop made up something with Inon BJ arms but it looked a bit overcooked for the job, and I declined the ( not inexpensive ) offer.

     

    If Thursday's soak test goes well, then I'll take it out to the Red Sea the week after. I don't relish cleaning the dome port 'o' rings again though. :)

  10. If Thursday's soak test goes well, then I'll take it out to the Red Sea the week after. I don't relish cleaning the dome port 'o' rings again though. :)

     

    i know different people have different views on cleaning o rings, so just a different view here, nothing more.

     

    i haven't had any reason to remove any of the port orings after about 60 dives and 30 snorkles. i probably swap the ports every 3-5 dives. i just check if the oring looks clean, wipe it with a dedicated cleaning cloth, and sometimes add it tiny bit of grease. i keep everything in separate ziplock bags, so no dust / dirt can get on anything while it is being stored / not in use that day.

     

    the back plate oring i remove and clean at the beginning and end of each day, so after 3 camera changes during the day. if one 'pops out' during a battery / card change, i clean it then.

     

    this is my practice, i know people differ on this hugely.

     

    was there a reason to clean everything before you took it into the water the first time? if it is straight from purchase, wasn't it pretty clean when you got it?

  11. Jayel;

    No the 7-14 needs the second generation zoom port. You can buy it separately. You will also need gear sets, the 14-45 gears come with the port.

     

    What is the fastest wide angle lens compatible with the latest 10Bar dome port?

     

    Thank you in advance

  12. was there a reason to clean everything before you took it into the water the first time? if it is straight from purchase, wasn't it pretty clean when you got it?

     

    All of the 'o' rings looked dry, and I wanted to make sure there was no hidden gunk underneath them. Also, the contact point for the port 'o' rings on the housing body looked a bit dirty. When I cleaned it, there was a fair bit of black deposit there with some other detritus that came away.

     

    It's useful to know that you haven't had problems by leaving the port 'o' rings in place. There's probably another good reason for that, as the smaller of the pair needs a good stretch and then has to run over sharp threads to get it in-place. I'm sure that can't do it any good doing that on a regular basis.

  13. Hi.

    Im finally looking to buy housing for my GF-1, where should i buy this 10bar housing? Im in NY now till end of next week, then going to Singapore before my trip to Indonesia.

     

    Thanks

     

    Jaska

  14. Hi,

    Is there any wide angle lens that can be used with the 10bar housing except the panasonic 7-14 or fisheye 8 mm?

     

    Thanks

  15. I was quite disappointed with using my kit lens 14-45mm. I though i was going to be able to use it stock but I could not focus on objects without having to move out to let the camera focus on the subject. No luck using auto nor manual focus. Would anyone know what causes this?

     

    Does the 14-45 ports permit a full zoom?

  16. Hi,

    Is there any wide angle lens that can be used with the 10bar housing except the panasonic 7-14 or fisheye 8 mm?

     

    Thanks

     

    I was told that the Olympus 9-18mm also works with the 10bar dome port.

  17. I was told that the Olympus 9-18mm also works with the 10bar dome port.

     

    I wrote to 10Bar asking info on lens and port compatibility but until now I got no reply

  18. I wrote to 10Bar asking info on lens and port compatibility but until now I got no reply

     

     

    Wish you luck.

    I bought flash housing from 10bar - all 3 control buttons do not work.

    I e-mailed them 4 x and 1 message via Andy Mok website - but no reply.

  19. Wish you luck.

    I bought flash housing from 10bar - all 3 control buttons do not work.

    I e-mailed them 4 x and 1 message via Andy Mok website - but no reply.

     

    Would be nice hearing Jack Connick who write here about 10Bar customer care...

  20. Most of these answers are on their, or my websites.

     

    I am only a dealer, I do NOT represent them in any other way.

     

    10Bar is a small company. They get over-whelmed. Sometimes they will respond to questions, but a lot of the time they simply don't/can't take the time. Is that ideal, no. Your best bet is to do some research on the web and or check their catalog. A good reference are the user manuals. Or contact your local dealer, who is better able to support the end-user.

     

    In response to the above the 10bar housings support most all Olympus & Panasonic micro-4/3rds lenses. The zoom port works without vignette for the Oly 14-42 & 9-18 as well as the Pany 14-45 & 7-14. Different gears must be purchased. They have a 20/17mm pancake port that can be used with a 50mm extension tube to support the 45mm Pany macro lens as well. There is a dome for the 8mm FE. Dual support is a nice feature.

     

    Jack

    Edited by JackConnick
Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.