Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Wetpixel D800 review

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 224Posts
  • 224Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel D800 review

224 posts
  1. Is it just me or does anyone wish they can change the raw file size.!!!! With an extreme III 16 gig card it gives 290 images and when , Bear in mind we would do two to three dives before the card is removed so half that number, A bigger card might do the trick I've altered the jpeg file size but when shooting a lot of images underwater, don't wish my card space to be used up at a rate of knots.!!!

     

    Goose

  2. Further more, to say the 3D auto focus tracking system is quick, is an understatement, I've tested it on my dads two English Setters while running at full pelt and covered in water, and it was stunning, it will more than impress underwater when dealing with macro.!

     

    Goose

    Edited by goose
  3. Does anyone know if there is a viewing window on the top of the housing.???

     

    Goose

  4. Does anyone know if there is a viewing window on the top of the housing.???

     

    Goose

     

    Depends on the brand... which are you interested in?

  5. Nauticam nauticam rar rar rar.!!! lol

     

    goose

  6. Nauticam nauticam rar rar rar.!!! lol

     

    goose

     

    It does not come with top window...

  7. "The SD cards are so slow they won't do much for the buffer. I'd shoot RAW to CF and jpg to SD. Or just shoot stills to CF and video to SD."

    Sorry the quote thing did not work.!

     

    CF Is way quicker than SD, I've had my D800 hooked up to my SB-900 flash gun on ttl and manual and to be fair the write speed it's bloody quic on both settings (TTL slightly quicker)so my question is how does it fair to a Z240 has anybody compared the two, and how quick does it need to be.!!

     

    Goose

  8. Hi Goose,

     

    Your question is dependent on several factors, but whether you use fiber optic triggering of your Inon (manual or TTL), or manual triggering via an electronic connection, the speed is likely to be determined by the recycle time of the strobes, not by card write speed.

     

    I would guess that even with an SB900, the flash's recycle time is the limiting factor too, although this will depend on how big each output is.

     

    Strobe recycle time is dependent again on many factors-the power of each output, battery condition and ambient temperature.

     

    If a fast recycling time is crucial (back to bait balls), then the Inon is poor solution. You will be better served with a larger strobe with a bigger battery capacity/output. This will mean it will be able to recycle faster.

     

    So the short answer is that you can use either CF or SD card if you are using strobes, because the bottleneck is likely to be the strobes, not the card.

     

    Adam

  9. Hi folks,

     

    The review is nearing completion, and the first part should be online very soon.

     

    Below is an example of some cropping:

     

    i-7Hpsj78-M.jpg

    Original image

     

    i-kfSKpVc-M.jpg

    Crop

     

    This is not an extreme example of what can be done with this cameras resolution-but gives a general idea!

     

    Another example of the tonal range. This was (deliberately) underexposed. The shadows were restored very simply in Lightroom:

     

    i-HhFzc4h-M.jpg

     

    Adam

  10. Hello Alex and all the other D800 users!

     

    I have a question regarding AF: I think the D7000 AF has some annoying issues:

     

    In the AF-S mode we can ONLY choose 1 or 39 AUTO focus points and nothing in between (in AF-C mode we hace a lot of different options); the D300 is better in this aspect (even the D200 would allow more configurations)

     

    The AF-A is a mix between AF-S and AF-C so if I have both S and C set with shutter priority: why is always AF-A locked in a focus priority mode?

     

    Both of these problems could be firmware fixed...

     

    How are the D800 AF modes? do they offer more options?

     

    Thank you very much!

     

     

    Hi There as far as I can tell the AF-S mode will only let you select single point focus, and will only focus on that single point selected regardless of 9 21 or 51, when auto is selected in the in the AF-S mode it will only select no more than 9 focal points around the single focal point you have pre selected in the info window. There is no AF-A as i can tell just yet, but I'm sure someone might point me in the right direction.!!!

     

    Goose

  11. The first parts of the D800 review are now online. You can view them here (on the Wetpixel front page).

     

    http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/wetpixel-d800-camera-review/

     

    I am working as I write on the next section which will be "Resolution, ISO and tonal range". I should have it posted in the next couple of days. I still have a little underwater testing to do for parts of the review, so expect that the full review will be spread out over the next few weeks. Please keep checking back for updates!

     

    Adam

  12. You've got me sold Adam. I'm defo getting one to use exclusively with the 15mm lens

    Edited by John Bantin
  13. Hi Adam,

     

    when can we expect the next part of your review??

     

     

    Rob

  14. Today I hope!

     

    Adam

  15. Hi Adam,

     

    looking forward to it. really enjoyed the first parts

  16. I think a very important point about using DX crop that I discovered, is that you get a full size image on the live view screen, not cropped as in the viewfinder - makes the concept of shooting DX much more useful.

  17. Hi all,

     

    The next instalment is now online. The camera is now with Alex Mustard, who I hope will add some of his ideas to the review. I stil have a few more topics to cover too.

     

    Image size and "shooting to crop" is here:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/wetpixel-d8...mera-review/P3/

     

    @Jeff-this is a good point. The only drawback is the focusing performance of the camera in Live View. More in my section on AF performance......

     

    I also totally agree that the camera makes you a lot fussier about what you keep on the card :lol:

     

    Adam

  18. Again he's rushing :-)

     

    I mean Paul Kay for Seacam...

    Edited by Andrej Belic
  19. Off topicish, but I've only just seen this but feel inclined to reply.

     

    Firstly, the reason that I do not use matrix metering or its equivalent is because at the end of the day it is a form of automation. Its assessment of exposure is based on a variety of parameters and as such can be fooled and so has a degree of unpredictability built in. I prefer to use my own knowledge and experience and sort out exposure myself. This is not a counter but an explanation.

     

    Secondly, I apparently rushed to Seacam's defence, but my observations were the same in the days when I used greeny-blue, film Subals. IMHO it is still not the colour but the reflections, perhaps allied to the round 'eye' like appearance of a port which causes problems.

     

     

    Again he's rushing in for Seacam. It's so typical

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.