Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Wetpixel D800 review

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 224Posts
  • 224Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel D800 review

224 posts
  1. My photo above was taken with Adam's shaved 15mm Sigma and 4" Zen dome. Alex

  2. My photo above was taken with Adam's shaved 15mm Sigma and 4" Zen dome. Alex

     

    Ahhh...

     

    ... but I don't like shaving!!

     

    post-4522-1340875088.jpg

     

    Has Adam described his butchery of the poor lens?

     

    Tim

     

    ;)

    Edited by tdpriest
  3. Didn't Fred Bavingdon already make the point that it would be better to shoot FX with the 15mm and crop rather than fit the Tokina and zoom to 17mm on DX? It was the argument that cost me a lot of cash but I am still awaiting my housing (promised for tomorrow) to find out!

    Edited by John Bantin
  4. This was shot last week with D800, shaved Sigma 15mm behind a Zen DP-100-NN:

     

    CP120615-0265.jpg

  5. My photo above was taken with Adam's shaved 15mm Sigma and 4" Zen dome. Alex

     

    Now the serious questions: does shaving affect the flare performance?

     

    I can't remember, off-hand, the exact lens dimensions, but seem to recall that the Sigma 15mm is a little longer than the Nikon 10.5mm and a little shorter than the Tokina 10-17mm. You used the Nikon version of the Zen dome? Has anyone seen if the Sigma has significant vignetting in the Tokina version of the dome (which might accomodate the unshaved shade)?

     

    Tim

     

    ;)

  6. Now the serious questions: does shaving affect the flare performance?

     

    I can't remember, off-hand, the exact lens dimensions, but seem to recall that the Sigma 15mm is a little longer than the Nikon 10.5mm and a little shorter than the Tokina 10-17mm. You used the Nikon version of the Zen dome? Has anyone seen if the Sigma has significant vignetting in the Tokina version of the dome (which might accomodate the unshaved shade)?

     

    Tim

     

    ;)

     

    The shade on Sigma 15mm is quite long and I've seen two different shade shapes. The one we opened (and shaved) for the Digital Shootout last week was the long curved variety. Not sure if the more squared type is shorter though. Either way, it won't fit in the Zen DP-100 for 10-17 to my knowledge, and if you were to add enough extension, it would vignette.

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

  7. ... it won't fit in the Zen DP-100 for 10-17 to my knowledge...

     

    Thanks.

     

    Oh, the (growing) pains of FX!!

     

     

    Tim

     

    ;)

  8. Hey Tim,

     

    I can concur with Chris.

     

    I accidentally left a 15mm extension on my dome whilst using it with the Sigma-strange circular fisheye effect is the result!

     

    Adam

  9. How are all you D800 users finding your camera now the hyperbole has subsided a little? Still as impressive as it seems on paper? Any major performance issues?

     

    Despite being a Canon shooter genuinely intrigued by this camera as there are certain features that are unique with it. As much as it pains me I might be tempted to get one for underwater shooting. I have a couple of Nikon mount Sigma lenses (15mm, 70mm macro) from my F90 days, so I would only need a wide angle. I am guessing from the reviews here the 16-35mm is the lens to use for wide angle?

     

    Erol

  10. Hi Erol,

     

    I think that those of us using the D800 are still adjusting to just how good it (potentially) is :)

     

    i-LBpDRmG-M.jpg

     

    I have used Alex's 16-35mm and it is very clean I does need a big (9"+) dome and a long extension though.

     

    Adam

  11. I have used Alex's 16-35mm and it is very clean I does need a big (9"+) dome and a long extension though.

     

    The edges are prettty messy in the image above: what f-stop were you using, and what extension? I have a little sneakiness that I want to try when I get housed, and will report if it works, but knowing what's already been tried would be very helpful.

     

    Tim

     

    dirol.gif

  12. Unfortunately, my Nauticam NAD800 is already showing signs of rusting. 3 NAD800 housings here and one rusting, being the one most used in water... daily for 9 days!

     

    post-1861-0-71813000-1341503018_thumb.jpg

     

    Another 2 NA7D (about 7 months old) housings here also have rusting view finders. More evaluation is coming.

  13. I have a little sneakiness that I want to try...

     

    OK: preliminary trials (in the bath - just watch Wimbledon to see what British conditions are like this "summer") show the Nikon 16-35mm working behind the Anthis/Nexus custom 12-24mm port with a 30mm extension; I haven't worked out if its better with the bare lens or a +3D diopter. The bare dome seems to accommodate the Sigma 15mm with a Kenko teleconverter.

     

    Tim

     

    dirol.gif

    Edited by tdpriest
  14. Unfortunately, my Nauticam NAD800 is already showing signs of rusting.

     

    What state are the two sacrificial anodes in?

     

    Tim

  15. Hi,

     

    I got my D800 waterproof (Ikelite housing) and did my first shots last weekend in a pool.

     

    All done with the Nikon 16-85mm behind the 8" Dome. I was quite happy with the results. Autofokus was the whole time in 3D mode and did pretty well.

     

    post-36347-0-22259600-1341782860_thumb.jpg

     

    post-36347-0-80051900-1341782787_thumb.jpg

     

    More pics in this thread.

     

    Regards René

  16. Hi Erol,

     

    I think that those of us using the D800 are still adjusting to just how good it (potentially) is smile.png

     

    i-LBpDRmG-M.jpg

     

    I have used Alex's 16-35mm and it is very clean I does need a big (9"+) dome and a long extension though.

     

    Adam

     

    Thanks Adam

     

    Yes I am sure it will take a while to get the full picture. Thats a nice shot..

     

    I have been very interested by this camera for a number of reasons, the massive DR, 1/500th sync in DX and generally the increased ''hackability'' of Nikon.

     

    However when all is said and done, my 5D2 and 7D are better cameras than I am a photographer and I think I d prefer to squeeze the best out of them before moving to something else. :)

     

    Erol

  17. D800 in DX:

    .....Poorer viewfinder (using D800 viewfinder in DX mode means a much smaller view than D7000 viewfinder). This is a significant point - unless you like small viewfinders!

    Thanks for this point Alex, if you are saying the DX mode gives a smaller image thru the viewfinder than a D7000, but excuse my ignorance, never experienced a full frame camera yet. How does the viewfinder image view on the D800 in FX mode compare in size to a viewfinder on a DX body? I assume they are the same size?

  18. I thought that I'd copy this over from the wide-zoom thread. I was very pleasantly surprised, not to say impressed: Nikon D800, Nauticam NA-D800, Sigma 15mm, Tokina x1.5 T/C, Nexus 12-24mm port. ISO 1600, illuminated by a single Sola 600:

     

     

    post-4522-0-39999200-1342301776.jpg

     

     

    post-4522-0-45496300-1342301765.jpg

     

     

    post-4522-0-30087000-1342301792.jpg

     

     

    Tim

     

    dirol.gif


    •  

    Tim

     

    Flickr galleries

    Photobox; images on sale!

    The Fin Foundation

    Nikon D800 in Nauticam housing...

    Edited by tdpriest
  19. A crop from the camera's jpeg file:

     

     

    post-4522-0-32344800-1342302330_thumb.jpg

     

     

    Tim

     

    dirol.gif

  20. What state are the two sacrificial anodes in?Tim
    Those were fine. The problem areas are isolated from the main body's zinc nodes. The viewfinder is surrounded by acrylic and thus the different metals start corroding very slowly. The other area from my experience with Nauticam is the handle plate area attaching to the main housing, notably the bolt and the plates. This is an ongoing issue with the brand. Nauticam's Edward Lai replied that the issue stems from the supplier's bad qc on quality of metal. Thus not every housing has this issue and it's obvious from the popularity of the housing, most don't see it as a major issue and a bit of molylube or some sort of contact resistance seems to alleviate the problem. That and vigilance makes it less of an issue.

    For me, it's more an annoyance more than a major issue. Other brands also have corrosion issues at some point but it'd be nice if Nauticsm made this less of an issue.. It certainly doesn't deter buyers. In fact I'm selling the housing and camera already to a very happy buddy of mine after I finish up my stint in Africa.

    Edited by Drew
Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.