Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

OM-D EM-1

Started by RogerC ·

  • 135Posts
  • 135Replies

Read-only discussion

OM-D EM-1

135 posts
  1. Yes they do Karen, however the base of the ball also has the screw threads that the upper support bracket (silver metal in the pictures) attach to. With out this the handles are not as stable - it's not that bad though about 5mm flex if you push, I would be happy to use. So may want to ask Nauticam if there is an alternative top piece for the handles. The screw thread is large M8 I think but don't quote me on that.

     

    Simon

    Thanks Simon.. If they can be removed, I'm sure our island engineer can weave his magic with something :)

     

  2. Karen, you could mount a T plate on the handle and then use a sliding locline T-plate base such as those by Ikelite or 10 bar to attach your locline arm to the handle.

    Thanks Alex… I haven't received my housing yet.. joys of Island isolation, so it is hard for me to visualise your suggestion. However at least I know there are alternatives and it is possible :)

     

  3. Any thoughts on the new lens introduced with the new EM10.?

    It looks tiny.

     

    m.Zuiko 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ MSC power zoom

  4. Look what arrived for me in the post today...

     

    post-22358-0-39736800-1391101822_thumb.jpg

     

    Thanks Alex, I'll let you know how it goes (not in the water for a couple of months mind you)

     

    Also got the replacement vacuum indicator bits - doesn't look to hard to swap at all.

    Includes two spare LED in case you break the existing one getting it out which is a thoughtful touch.

     

    Simon

    Edited by simonknee
  5. Some more pics of the adapter in situ...

     

    First the 50mm macro snout! You can see the control knob is nicely placed.

    post-22358-0-35715600-1391183638_thumb.jpg

     

    The adapter is the correct length to allow full extension (close focus) of this lens.

    post-22358-0-29410200-1391183633_thumb.jpg

     

    The gearing works correctly to allow manual focus but with the 50mm only allows fine adjustment since the oly gear has end stops.

    Fine for photos since AF can do most of the work but I shall need to come up with a custom gear for video.

    (n.b. it takes several full rotations to focus the 50mm infinity to close - and it is velocity sensitive too but you don't get much speed up on the knob)

    post-22358-0-98116600-1391183628_thumb.jpg

     

    On with the dome - it actually goes on a few more mm than this pic shows and closes up the gap you see here.

    But then you have to re-adjust the petals and I couldn't be bothered for this little shoot

    post-22358-0-72910100-1391183623_thumb.jpg

     

    From above

    post-22358-0-94776700-1391183617_thumb.jpg

     

    The lovely 8mm sitting where it should

    post-22358-0-00314000-1391183614_thumb.jpg

     

    Now the 11-22mm with "customised" (draught excluder) gear from a 7-14mm.

    A bit tricky to assemble as the knob has to stay in it's pulled out position.

    But it all works as it shold which means the even larger 7-14mm would fit in this rig too.

    post-22358-0-85705900-1391183609_thumb.jpg

     

    With dome and per-02 extender.

    I do not think this is at the nodal point at all and need to get a per-01 instead.

    However there is no vignetting from the dome so it is worth testing in the water.

    post-22358-0-71017500-1391183600_thumb.jpg

     

    And finally the lovely leak light showing I am leak free

    post-22358-0-45325900-1391183605_thumb.jpg

     

    Simon

    Edited by simonknee
  6. Looking good, thanks Simon.

  7. Any thoughts on the new lens introduced with the new EM10.?

    It looks tiny.

     

    m.Zuiko 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ MSC power zoom

    It looks to me like it might make an ideal fish portrait lens in a very small package.

  8. Dear Wetpixel experts,

    first of all thanks for your expertise in advance, really appreciate the help. Hope I am not hijacking this thread… I am currently struggling with the following decision:

    Either buying a new housing for my old camera (NEX-5N with Zeiss lens) or selling and buying an Oly EM-5 / EM-1 with housing.

    Owned
    ---------------------------------
    Camera: NEX 5N
    Lens: Zeiss 24mm F/1.8 (I own also the zoom kit lens)
    Housing: Meike (costs about 100$)

    Problem:
    - Housing is horrible - controls are almost impossible to handle and below 12m I have to shoot in AF mode, because the buttons are developing their own life…
    - I really miss an underwater shooting mode, pictures were sometimes much better with my old Olympus XZ-1 (which I still own)
    Solution: 10bar housing for Sony NEX 5N
    Cost: 1200$


    Up for debate
    ---------------------------------
    Camera: Olympus EM-5 (option 1) / Olympus EM-1 (option 2)
    Lens: 12-40mm F/2.8
    Housing: Olympus housing

    Cost: EM-5 body + lens + housing costs me about 2000$ (I am travelling to Japan soon and will buy a used one)
    EM-1 body + lens + housing costs about 3000$


    Summary
    ---------------------------------
    Option a) Buying 10bar housing for my NEX-5N with 24mm Zeiss lens: -1200$
    Option b) Selling NEX-5N with 24mm Zeiss +800$ and buying EM-5 with housing -2000$ = -1200$
    Option c) Selling NEX-5N with 24mm Zeiss +800$ and buying EM-1 with housing -3000$ = -2200$

    Is the EM-5 + Olympus housing better than a NEX-5N with 10bar housing?
    Is it worth tossing in an extra 1000$ and going for the EM-1 with Olympus housing?

    Thanks again,

    Michael

  9. Thanks Alex… I haven't received my housing yet.. joys of Island isolation, so it is hard for me to visualise your suggestion. However at least I know there are alternatives and it is possible :)

    Hi Alex, housing arrived today!!! Absolutely thrilled with the size, design and how it feels in my hands. A simple modification was done within a couple of minutes. All it took was inserting a larger stainless steel bolt & nut through one of the brace holes and locline bases are now attached. I'd post an image if I could find how to attach the darn thing :unsure:

     

  10. Great news Karen, look forward to some images.

  11. Any thoughts on the new lens introduced with the new EM10.?

    It looks tiny.

     

    m.Zuiko 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ MSC power zoom

    Bump

  12. My first dive with the OM-D E-M! in the Nauticam housing and all I can see is I'm super impressed. It feels just so right in my hands; a pleasure to use and I'm sure I'll become more proficient as time goes on. This image was taken with the 12-50mm in the 60mm port and using the Austrian zoom gear and twin Z240's. It wasn't the best of dives given the surge and building swell. I was just happy to try out the new rig.

     

    My next question is about Macro. I have a Subsee +10 with a D300 Seatool 105mm vr port adapter. Rather than purchasing the 60mm macro lens right now what macro wet lens /adapters could I use with the 12-50 (Austrian zoom) in the 60mm port??

     

    _KPW3121.jpg

     

    Edited by KarenW
  13. Any thoughts on the new lens introduced with the new EM10.?

    It looks tiny.

     

    m.Zuiko 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ MSC power zoom

    Any comments or users yet?

  14. Hi Karen,

    have spent the last 2 weeks in Anilao, first time using the OMD E5 in the Nauticam housing.
    The 12 - 50 works fine with the Sub See +10mm. My other lenses there the 60mm macro, a realy superb lens, and as well used with the +10, and the 8mm fisheye.

    Except some troubles with the mode dial, the setup was a pleasure to use.
    And if i would not have spent 5 days out of the water being ill, there would be a big amount of pics ;-((

    Greetings,
    Wolfgang

  15. Karen,

     

    Just screw the Subsee +10 to the front of the macro port you are using with the 12-50mm, you’ll get good results with that combination.

  16. Hi Karen,
    i used a flip diopter holder, that made it easy to change between fish and tiny nudibranch ;-))
    Mine is from the same shop as the austrian gear, but was a prototype built by a 3d plotter and 2 rings to fit the M67 fittings.
    Would take the original one next time .....
    Greetings,
    Wolfgang

  17. Hi Wolfgang :) Appears I have an older style Subsee that doesn't have the ability to screw straight onto the 60mm port as suggested by Alex. So I either have to buy a new adapter to suit the port and Subsee, or a new Subsee..

     

    Need a money tree in the back garden :(

     

     

    Hi Karen,

    i used a flip diopter holder, that made it easy to change between fish and tiny nudibranch ;-))

    Mine is from the same shop as the austrian gear, but was a prototype built by a 3d plotter and 2 rings to fit the M67 fittings.

    Would take the original one next time .....

    Greetings,

    Wolfgang

     

     

  18. Hi Karen,
    maybe you need only an adapter ring for a different diameter.
    Which port are you using?
    The macro port or the 12 - 50mm port?

    NAUTICAM Macro Port 65 for Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro (with M67 thread )
    or

    NAUTICAM Macro Port Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 EZ ( with M77 thread )
    if its the second, you just need a ring with M77 to M67.
    Greetings,
    Wolfgang

  19. Anybody know what kind of strobe connections the Aquatica housing will have for the E-M1?

  20. Question for more knowledgeable u/w photographers - Nauticam has a 4" curved port for the Olympus 9-18 mm lens, but Aquatica just announced their port for this lens, which is a much larger 8" dome port. In their press release (http://aquatica.ca/en/press_releases/sw8_press_release.pdf), Aquatica states:

     

    "Using an 8’’ dome wraps the projected virtual image at +/- 12’’ (30cm) from the external

    surface of the dome lens, while a smaller dome port, such as one with a 6’’ diameter, will
    force this virtual image to be wrapped a mere +/- 9” (23 cm) away. This might be a relatively
    innocuous difference of distance in normal situations, but it is also common knowledge
    that the closer the focusing distance, the harder it will be to get adequate depth of field. At
    these close distances, such small difference does have a huge impact on the success of

    the images taken."

     

    Does this give the Aquatica port a significant advantage, say, when photographing a large school of fish?

    Edited by Sea Lion

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.