Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Upcoming Panasonic GH-4K

Started by Davide DB ·

  • 349Posts
  • 349Replies

Read-only discussion

Upcoming Panasonic GH-4K

349 posts
  1. Has anyone else tried the 180mm dome option with the 7-14mm lumix?

  2. There are 2 x 1/4" - 20 UNC threaded holes on the top of this housing behind the coldshoe.

     

    Does anyone know what might screw into those?

  3. There are 2 x 1/4" - 20 UNC threaded holes on the top of this housing behind the coldshoe.

     

    Does anyone know what might screw into those?

    If you were a photographer, you could mount a focus light there.

     

    Or you could add a handle.

     

    I thought of mounting a hydrophone there - until I figured out the internal hydrophone...

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. There are 2 x 1/4" - 20 UNC threaded holes on the top of this housing behind the coldshoe.

     

    Does anyone know what might screw into those?

     

    I mount one of this ball base (EX-iB) for DP4 housing.

    http://i-divesite.com/product_arm02.html

    Edited by escape
  5. Thanks guys. When I was looking for specific accessories for those holes I couldn't really find any, which made me wonder what exactly Nauticam would have had in mind when they included them.

     

     

    I mount one of this ball base (EX-iB) for DP4 housing.

    http://i-divesite.com/product_arm02.html

     

    Funnily enough I did try that EX-iB ball in the shop the other day and, from what I remember, the holes were too far apart. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Does yours fit straight on there Eunjae, or did you need to modify the holes?

  6. Thanks guys. When I was looking for specific accessories for those holes I couldn't really find any, which made me wonder what exactly Nauticam would have had in mind when they included them.

     

     

    Funnily enough I did try that EX-iB ball in the shop the other day and, from what I remember, the holes were too far apart. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Does yours fit straight on there Eunjae, or did you need to modify the holes?

     

    Nick,

    I had a spare one (ball base) and screw from somewhere else (maybe it's not the exact EX-iB model).

    Do you mean offset between two hole is far or?

  7. You can add an handle?

     

     

    post-595-0-03956300-1419933149_thumb.jpg

  8. Or you could mount a rear-view mirror so you could watch for sharks sneaking up behind you.

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  9. Rear view Go Pro. You don't want to missed recording sharks sneaking up do you? .....with hint of sarcasm frog fish.

    Must be the pre- new year booze hang over:)

  10. :mocking:

     

    Eunjae, yes, from memory the holes on the i-Das ball were too far apart. If I'm right about that I expect the spacing could be reduced by filing or machining, but obviously that breaks the anodizing.

     

    The reason I'm asking is that I still might buck the trend and mount a Shogun up top. Or at least look at using top mounting holes as part of an overall mounting solution. So I just want to understand what they were actually "designed for".

  11.  

    The reason I'm asking is that I still might buck the trend and mount a Shogun up top. Or at least look at using top mounting holes as part of an overall mounting solution.

     

    There's always gotta be one radical... :)

     

    For some type of shots, I could see how a top mount would work well. For example, macro shots with the unit on a small tripod or set of legs. A top mounted monitor would probably be more convenient.

     

    Earlier this month, I was shooting macro in Lembeh using the GH4 (without any monitor as the Shogun had not yet arrived). The only way to see what I was shooting was to get my face right down behind the camera's tiny monitor. Sometimes my chin was resting on the sand or mud. I was thinking, "if there's a spiny poisonous fish under this black sand, I could be the first person ever to get stabbed in the chin". Then I imagined my chin swelling up to look like Mr Incredible. I think my guide wondered why I was chuckling...

     

    But I think that top-mounting would increase "pitch" instability when free-swimming, shooting WA. Then a rear-mount monitor, extended back from the camera would be better, lengthening the whole rig. Some carefully placed floatation might help balance it. Maybe need to add a rear handle.

     

    All good stuff to play around with over the next few weeks....

     

    Regards

    Peter

    Edited by peterbkk
  12. Won't know till I have a housed Shogun but;- I was thinking along the lines of rear mounting the monitor via arm/s tripple clamps on the housing handles. That way I could raise/ lower/ tilt the shogun for macro or WA and trim.

     

    Any updates on the Nauticam shogun release dates?

  13. ...Sometimes my chin was resting on the sand or mud...

     

    Exactly! And I love those low points of view for macro.

     

    Won't know till I have a housed Shogun but;- I was thinking along the lines of rear mounting the monitor via arm/s tripple clamps on the housing handles. That way I could raise/ lower/ tilt the shogun for macro or WA and trim.

     

    I think an articulated mount would be great. The problem with doing it with triple clamps is that whatever else is in the clamp (light arm, tripod leg etc.) will flop about when the clamp is loosened. Were you thinking of using enough hardware to reach around from the top of the handles to the mounting underneath the Shogun housing?

  14. Nick

     

    I was thinking of mounting via the top of the Shogun housing, assuming its possible, but your right about the fault with using tripple clamps

     

    cheers

     

    col

    edit to clear up the top of which housing

    Edited by recd
  15. Apologies for cross posting in different topics... But I've got the XIT404 tripod coming in next week to see if that's a solution to rear mount a Ninja2 / Shogun. Will post up the results.

     

    As to the shogun, looks like lots of people have them now...

    Read this: http://www.eoshd.com/2014/12/winters-mirror-sony-a7s-atomos-shogun/

     

    Someone has uploaded to youtube a 4k comparison also:

     

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVAHVxXKl1A

     

    and has provided the non-mashed youtube file - http://www.mediafire.com/download/8wlr71y3qirjxh2/NF_Atomos_GH4_Examples.zip

    Edited by thetrickster
  16. ...from memory the holes on the i-Das ball were too far apart. If I'm right about that I expect the spacing could be reduced by filing or machining, but obviously that breaks the anodizing.

    For what it's worth, I'm now pretty sure I was thinking of an RGBlue ball adapter, NOT the i-Das ball mount. The latter probably would fit those top 2 holes. Apologies.

  17. For what it's worth, I'm now pretty sure I was thinking of an RGBlue ball adapter, NOT the i-Das ball mount. The latter probably would fit those top 2 holes. Apologies.

     

    Sorry Nick, You're right.

    I have bunch of those similar 1 inch ball head and typical size one is not fit.

    I just don't remember where I got this ball head which does fit on GH4 housing.

  18. What colour is the O-ring?

  19. Two M10 screw and I tested a Nauticam ball adapter and it fits :) (Of course )

  20. Davide, you have a GH4 now? [emoji2]

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.