Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Upcoming Panasonic GH-4K

Started by Davide DB ·

  • 349Posts
  • 349Replies

Read-only discussion

Upcoming Panasonic GH-4K

349 posts
  1. Cheungy Diver and I visited the Broadcast Asia Conference in Singapore yesterday. Big event with all the usual suspects present.

     

    We met with the guys from Atomos and looked at the prototype Shogun. Looks like it'll be a great underwater recorder monitor. They had it sitting in a glass case, between a GH4 and an A7s. But not yet operational. The shogun may be a bit large to mount in a separate housing on top of the camera housing. Hard to get the physical balance right. Need to find a way to place it line astern with the camera. September is still the delivery date.

     

    We also wandered into the big Panasonic booth. Bear in mind that this is a conference for professionals - no general public allowed. The Panasonic stand, while they had a couple of their broadcast camcorders on display, was dominated by the GH4. They had a "set" with lighting, a motorbike and an attractive model with three or four GH4s aimed at the model. The GH4s, with their YAGH, were hooked up via SDI cables to 4K displays and recorder / monitors. The results were impressive. Very nice colours. Great details. You can see that Panasonic are serious about marketing this camera as a professional video camera. You could sense that they've realised that this will be a winner for them.

     

    Regards

    Peter

  2. cheers Peter

    Enjoyed yesterday wandering around. Impressive stuff on show.

    The Panasonic booth is pretty massive. The set up with the GH4 is with the odyssey q7. Four HDSDI hooked up to the base unit. I guess each channel is full Hd. The colour coming out of the large 4k monitor is pretty impressive. This set up with Convergent is probably too cumbersome to house. If the image coming out of the Atomos Shogun is as good then we are in for a treat. Well at least for GH4 people.

     

    I'll upload some photos soon.

     

    Cheers

  3. 14397965303_2df2c647eb_c.jpg

     

    Last week, I was testing the new 180mm glass dome from Nauticam.

    Optic quality is excellent and balancing was way better then 6inch acrylic one.

     

    Here some frame grab from 4K UHD 3840x2160 clip taken with Pany 7-14mm (original resolution on the link).

    I'll try to share some sample footage soon.

     

    GH4-frame-grab-01-small.jpg

    http://ejlabs.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/GH4-frame-grab-01.jpg

     

    GH4-frame-grab-02-small.jpg

    http://ejlabs.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/GH4-frame-grab-02.jpg

    Edited by escape
  4. Any idea of when that will be available mate?

  5. Any idea of when that will be available mate?

     

    Hi Pete, I guess they'll release it with GH4 housing in a next few weeks.

  6. Hi EunJae,

     

    Could you give us some feedback on the whole new system?

    You came from Canon FF system and I love your film so I'm curious on your feelings on this completely different world :)

     

    Thanks

  7. Hi EunJae,

     

    Could you give us some feedback on the whole new system?

    You came from Canon FF system and I love your film so I'm curious on your feelings on this completely different world :)

     

    Thanks

  8. Panasonic GH4 + 8mm FE, 7-14mm vs Canon 70D (APS-C) + Tokina 10-17mm, Canon 10-22mm.

    This is frame grab from video clip.

     

    70D-GH4-Rectilinear-e1403447377138.jpg

     

    70D-GH4-Fisheye-e1403447384952.jpg

  9. Hi EunJae,

     

    Could you give us some feedback on the whole new system?

    You came from Canon FF system and I love your film so I'm curious on your feelings on this completely different world :)

     

    Thanks

     

    - Widest rectilinear for GH4 is Pany 7-14mm but on 4k mode FOV is not that wide (for me).
    - I have smallhd dp4 and it's works nice (syncing faster then my canon dslr).
    - Focus Peaking and Zebra function is great to use.
    - I'm not happy with ergonomic of MIL housing when using with tray & handle (buttons on these housing are design for without handle).
    - I don't like color of MWB wide angle footage (compare to canon dslr) but surprisingly, native file include lot of color data and planty of room for fixing in post.
    4K resolution from this small camera is great. I can't wait to try some macro shooting.
  10.  

     

    - I don't like color of MWB wide angle footage (compare to canon dslr) but surprisingly, native file include lot of color data and planty of room for fixing in post.

     

     

    Hi EJ

     

    Very interesting although admittedly I've never seen any other camera WB like the Canon DSLRs do!

     

    I'd be interested to hear or see some examples about just how far can you push the image before it breaks up? I've love to see an example where the image falls apart and what exactly you had to do for that to happen...

     

    Cheers, Simon

  11. https://vimeo.com/98986532

     

    Original and after grade footage (4K UHD downsampled to 1080p).

    Cine-D (contrast -5, sharpness -5) and other setting were default.

    Crushed black, lifted red & blue channel each clip differently in post.

    Edited by escape
  12. Thanks for posting that example!

     

    Was that as far as you could push it? I had a brief play with some grabs and it looked like there was plenty more colour info even after Vimeo had crunched it up and spat it aback out again.

     

    My GH4 arrives tomorrow - it was about the only one left in stock in the UK!

  13. I'm not good at color correction and need to learn more. :-p

    Enjoy your GH4!

  14. Good to see you are joining the revolution Simon :)

  15. I say if you can get a beautiful look baked in, BAKE IT IN!

  16. Yeah the 7D's have now officially retired....

     

    The GH4 is already getting ready to go to work tomorrow and I hope it lasts out 5 years like the 7D's did! We'll hold a ceremony for them sometime - they have been workhorses both above and below water!

    Edited by SimonSpear
  17. Simon, if you get the 7-14mm lens, make sure you black out the silver writing on the front of the lens as it will reflect in the 6inch dome.

  18. Simon, if you get the 7-14mm lens, make sure you black out the silver writing on the front of the lens as it will reflect in the 6inch dome.

    Why don't lens manufacturers think about us underwater people? It's discrimination.

  19. Not sure Pete, it's not very nice though :)

    By the way, how do we embed videos now?

    I can't seem to embed any videos. I thought we just pasted the link & it was automatically embedded but when I try to paste, nothing at all comes up.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.