Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Upcoming Panasonic GH-4K

Started by Davide DB ·

  • 349Posts
  • 349Replies

Read-only discussion

Upcoming Panasonic GH-4K

349 posts
  1. Regarding the macro framing device:

    I hate to hunt around with the viewfinder or monitor to find the, for example, tiny Pygmy seahorse,especially you are not in focus yet, how can I see ???

    I made myself a frame, with loc line attached, so I can focus to any neighbouring object first, with the frame and loc line fixed as a reference,

    without looking at the viewfinder or monitor, approach the frame towards the object, then you can quickly see it appear at the viewfinder and monitor already.

    Of course, it is very personally and as I don't dive a lot every year so I need something to help me out not so frustrated with viewfinder hunting.

     

    And I am using the Ninja 2.

     

    Cheers

    Edmond

  2. Those fiber optics can be attached in front of strobe.

    I attached a singe fiber optic in front of Inon Z240 and managed to get this:

    8051833987_c978950932.jpg
    8051843532_85214c2671.jpg

    8051852750_3b66c01ab6.jpg

    8051849239_06ebd92b3b.jpg

    8051853495_ef59755e92.jpg
    This is the second time I shoot still pictures underwater and don't get any chance to play around with fiber optics photography again as my wife insist me to film video, not still pictures.!!
    And she say ok to GH4,BMPCC.... then ,of course I am OK too !!

     

    Edited by edmond320
  3.  

    I was going to ask that if, despite your disclaimer, you were going to make the switch ;)

    Mine, ahem, is due to ship next week :)

     

    Little bit OT...

    The problem is that it's very difficult to sell. Yes I will not produce any better art with it. It's just my try to save some money for the future :mocking:

    Furthermore I will keep for myself optics and ports that are compatible for the upgrade so it's difficult to sell just the housing without a port. I managed to get a 14-42mm port.

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52988&hl=

    Edited by Davide DB
  4. Another question for someone who has a GH4 already, when shooting variable frame rates, say 96frames on 24p, for 1/4 slomo, does it export that through hdmi as a slomo signal or are you just getting 24p out of hdmi?

    My canon xa20 will do 50p on a 25p sequence for an internally recorded 50% slomo but it doesn't output that through hdmi.

    So I can't use my ninja 2 to record 10bit 422 colour at 50% slomo.

    Wondering if the same applies to the GH4.

    Seems a shame to be able to record such slomo but not be able to capture that externally at 10bit 422.

  5. Another question for someone who has a GH4 already, when shooting variable frame rates, say 96frames on 24p, for 1/4 slomo, does it export that through hdmi as a slomo signal or are you just getting 24p out of hdmi?

     

     

    Hi Pete,

     

    I suggest you to dig into these two threads:

     

    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/9542/gh4-4k-panasonic-video-camera-official-topic#Item_2052

     

    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/10202/gh4-4k-panasonic-video-camera-user-reviews-and-opinions

     

    Just use the google search or, if you have an account just ask. It's the most complete source of good info on Panny GH camera out there.

  6. Edmond, I am loving your DIY projects. Great stuff! :notworthy:

     

    Personally I am looking at a pair of Keldan Luna 4 lights to use with a GH4. They seem more appropriate than the Luna 8 for principally macro work. But I'm very intrigued by a long-reach small light that I can use to get behind subjects for real 3-point lighting, and it looks like you've found a nice small light for that. Can you really get it behind the subject while it's still mounted on the camera or do you detach it?

  7. Edmond, I am loving your DIY projects. Great stuff! :notworthy:

     

    Personally I am looking at a pair of Keldan Luna 4 lights to use with a GH4. They seem more appropriate than the Luna 8 for principally macro work. But I'm very intrigued by a long-reach small light that I can use to get behind subjects for real 3-point lighting, and it looks like you've found a nice small light for that. Can you really get it behind the subject while it's still mounted on the camera or do you detach it?

    Hi Nick,

    I use a loc line attached with the light to work as a "leg" !! By adjusting the loc line you can "seat" on most surface, or wrap the loc line around anything unharmed. Also, the fibre optics is about 30-40 degree curved at the end, it can very easy to get behind anything, and shining from the bottom upward !!!

    I don't mount it with the housing, it give me so much freedom to creat a very different light source.

     

    Cheers

    Edmond

  8. Sorry about the off topic again !! Nick, you are welcome to send me PM regarding my DIY project if you want.

     

    Cheers

    Edmond

  9. Sorry, accidental double post trying to edit... Mods, please delete!

    post-820-0-92915300-1398695681_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Ryan
  10. One of these was out diving in Palm Beach this weekend too! Hopefully some images will be available soon.

    Edited by Ryan
  11. Ryan, was that retro fitted with any official upgrade kit???? - was that altered by hand for it to fit??

    Edited by thetrickster
  12. He was Edward Lai with a fake beard and a GH4 housing :lol2:

     

    dictator-cohen-beard-thumb.jpg

  13. This housing was unmodifiied. I expect something to take care of the mode dial lock interference will be released at some point, but we are busy diving the camera now as is.

  14. Internal is always 4:2:0

     

    External 4:2:2 and you can get 1080p 4:4:4 from 4k 4:2:0 via a thirdly party free utility

    Davide - What is the third party utility? Could you provide a URL?

  15. It was written by the same guy who wrote 5DtoRGB I guess.

    Tomorrow I will find it.

     

    Bye

  16. Davide & the trickster - Thanks!

     

    dd

  17. No worries. I'm still yet to see any results or actual 'proof' it works - or rather it's worth the effort...

     

    At the moment. We need to figure out what the best way is to resample from 4k to 1080. Use a special tool? Or let your NLE do it for you? See awaiting my GH4. Why o why did I choose USPS and not UPS! Lol

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. Reply from Atomos support:

    Hi Edmond,

     

    I do not have a GH4 on hand to check how to adjust the HDMI output settings, but the Ninja 2 will support 1080p30, 1080p25, 1080p24, 1080i60, 1080i50, 720p60 and 720p50. I suggest you contact Panasonic for instructions on how to change the HDMI output settings to these modes.

  19. I get a feeling it's outputting a 1080p60 signal.

     

    Any luck Edmond? Did you try changing framerates / resolutions. Any differences?

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.