Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Upcoming Panasonic GH-4K

Started by Davide DB ·

  • 349Posts
  • 349Replies

Read-only discussion

Upcoming Panasonic GH-4K

349 posts
  1. BTW, you know what's missing in the GH4? 5-axis Image Stabilization (http://panasonic.net/avc/camcorder/features/hybrid_ois/)

    !!!!! Well, at least it's not being mention.

     

    On the side note, I got feedback that color accuracy for Panasonic is not as good as Canon/Nikon. What's your thought?

  2. Skin tones have been an issue with the GH3 in the past.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. First two video from Panasonic.

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

  4. Two questions...

     

    1. Has it been confirmed that the PAL and NTSC framerates will be included within the same body (i.e. a world camera, unlike GH3)?

     

    2. Based on previous releases, what would be the best-guess timing for availability of the camera and a Nauticam housing?

  5. Hi Nick.

     

    #1 yes. it's not clear if the infamous 30' limit will be in all camera when you switch to PAL mode...

     

    #2 All reviews say that the body it's exactly the same as GH3 except two things:

     

    * A 2mm larger eyecup that can be removed.

    * A lock mechanism on upper part of the right wheel.

    hence a GH4 could fit in a GH3 housing immediately or a modification (NA-GH3 MarkII) to accommodate both camera from nauticam shouild be trivial.

     

    EDIT:

     

    A GH4 user manual leaked confirming that you get 1080p 4:2:2 10 bit or 4K 8 bit out of micro-hdmi without the brick.

     

     

    In the meantime

     

     

    Edited by Davide DB
  6. I would think the 29.59min limit will still be in place on European models - its a Tax issue - so I would they will likely keep it and keep the price lower.

     

    I'll be ordering mine from B&H Photo from the states. Will get full 1080p60 still and no limit.

  7. Emm....... still looking for the answer: Does the GH4 has Hybrid O.I.S? If it does, is it like the GX7, which only applicable in photo, but not in video mode? Guess we will have to wait for 2 more months until more reviews show up!

  8. No hibrid OIS ala gx7.

    OIS is only on lens.

     

    Camera ois is not possible on video because sensor heating.

     

    Olympus has it on omd-em1 but it has limited frame rate and nitrate.

  9.  

    A GH4 user manual leaked confirming that you get 1080p 4:2:2 10 bit or 4K 8 bit out of micro-hdmi without the brick.

     

     

    Know where to download a copy?

     

    Credit card at the ready with BH Photo!

  10. I would think the 29.59min limit will still be in place on European models - its a Tax issue - so I would they will likely keep it and keep the price lower.

     

    I'll be ordering mine from B&H Photo from the states. Will get full 1080p60 still and no limit.

     

    I forgot about that infuriating restriction and it's confirmed 23 minutes into the video Davide linked to. Mine, if I go for it, will be coming from the States.

     

    Incidentally, why was the GH3 never hacked to fix stuff like that?

     

    I'm kind of disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a 1080p60 10-bit 4:2:2 solution with this camera, either in-camera or external. I'm probably being too greedy. I'd go for a RED but I'm all up for the Olympus 12-50mm with switchable macro mode and special Nauticam port, which I believe will suit my style when shooting small stuff. But I guess 8-bit 4:2:0 is less of a limitation for macro, where blue water banding is less of a factor.

     

    Was also hoping Panasonic might do something M43 with internal NDs.

  11. I'm happy living with 1080p30. At least we can get 10bit 444 to my Ninja2.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. B&H Photo are now taking pre-orders on the GH4. (Via the phone only at the moment)

     

    $1699 - WOW.

     

    Alas for 'overseas' customers they are wanting full payment up front - even though its not out til end of April!!

  13. Looks like Sealux will be releasing a housing for the GH4

     

    http://www.sealux.de/en/

     

    (No photos or anything, but a byline in their 'latest news')

  14. Lots of good info here, direct from the Panasonic rep. He says 4:2:2 10-bit even at 4k is possible from the mini HDMI port without the brick. But nobody makes a recorder for that yet.

     

     

    Also a good hands-on here:

     

  15. Any word from Nauticam on whether or not the NA-GH3 will work with the GH4?

  16. Lots of good info here, direct from the Panasonic rep. He says 4:2:2 10-bit even at 4k is possible from the mini HDMI port without the brick. But nobody makes a recorder for that yet.

     

    Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q should do in the very near future, once they've got the 4k to compressed component working.....

     

    We just need someone to make a housing for it....

    Edited by bottlefish
  17. Any word from Nauticam on whether or not the NA-GH3 will work with the GH4?

     

    Its just the control dial that is the issue, it will fix size-wise - its just the locking button in the middle of the control dial that is the issue.

     

    As to an external recording - hearing that Atomos at NAB will have something to offer all these 4K users...

    Edited by thetrickster
  18. According to this thread on Personal View, Panasonic is abandoning m43.

     

    I suspected it was an April fool, but Vitaliy, the owner of the site, seems convinced. I was all set to invest in a GH4 rig and m43 lenses this year, but it's pretty difficult to justify investing in kit (especially glass) that has no future.

     

    Let's hope it's not true!

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.