Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Upcoming Panasonic GH-4K

Started by Davide DB ·

  • 349Posts
  • 349Replies

Read-only discussion

Upcoming Panasonic GH-4K

349 posts
  1. Edmond, looks like there is a few people suffering the same Atomos Ninja issues with the GH4 - so you are not alone!

     

    Rich

  2. How do you change shutter speed & Arpeture in the GH3 housing? Does it have a dedicated wheel for each or do you have to push buttons to access a menu screen?

     

    Also, what port are you guys using with the 7-14 lens?

    I am specifically looking for edge sharpness so is there a 6inch dome or is the 4 inch dome good enough for edge sharpness?

    Cheers Pete.

  3. I've gone for the Zen 170mm dome for the 7-14mm. Need the nauticam 20mm extension ring thou.

     

    It has full access to all the controls including a front and back dial.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Edited by thetrickster
  4. Thanks Richard.

  5. Did I read somewhere that there are very long delays on that Zen 170mm port?

  6. Did I read somewhere that there are very long delays on that Zen 170mm port?

     

    Hi Nick,

     

    Yes - its been a VERY long delay in the 170mm domes...

     

    The glass element isn't made by Zen (which in turn is the same company as ReefPhoto), there has been a problem with the production of this part. Zen have now started receiving their glass elements and are now making up the 170mm domes. But it looks like there is a big back log of them...

     

    My 170mm dome has been on order since January, yet I still don't have it. Luckily my distributor (the rather excellent UWVisions in the UK) now has my 170mm in hand, but alas I'm waiting for a couple of other bits to arrive, so Alex can send the whole lot on to me.

     

    But it looks like the 170mm domes are now going off the production line but very slowly and are on a first come, first served basis

    The last email I had from Zen:

     

    ​I wish I had more information for you but this is an unexpected production delay combined with very high demand - I imagine it will be quite a while before we have these domes in stock. I would recommend placing an order with one of our dealers and that way they can notify you as soon as they start shipping again.

    At the moment, the 170mm (unless you go for a 200mm+ dome and a Subal to Nauticam adaptor) is the best dome for the 7-14 / 12-35mm.

  7. Yep, Thats the one Pete.

     

    ----

    Following on from Edmonds issues with HDMI,

     

    Here is a list of all the working and non-working modes with the GH4 and Ninja2

     

    Ninja2 Formats.xlsx

  8. Following on Edmond and Ryan's post about modifying the housing (or not).

    My observations:

    1. Camera fits 'just' with the new larger Eyecup - There is some friction on the housing AF/AE button internals, as you close the housing, but once closed there is no issues. I have ordered a OEM GH3 Eyecup (Part No: VYK6B43) for less than €8 inc delivery, to save this as I'm not really happy with leaving one off either.
    2. Without modifying (a la Edmond) the push down dial, you cannot operate the Mode dial. So need to set before closing housing. It has been confirmed that Nauticam will be releasing an upgrade part kit to get around this issue - at some point.
    3. Everything else works as it should like a GH3.
  9. A fix for the Ninja2 Issues @Edmond? :)

     

    I don't have my Ninja2 with me at present, but I do have my GH4 and I've been having a dig through the menus and settings - and come across this:
    13943032007_faa0e0b996.jpg
    Maybe that is the solution?
  10. Doesn't work :-(

     

    I can confirm that the GH4 is outputting incorrect framerates at the HDMI port in relation to those it's recording.

    1080p25 is outputting 1080p50

    1080p30 is outputting 1080p60

     

    1080p24 is outputting CORRECTLY at 1080p24

     

    Plugged the GH4 directly in to my TV (1080p) and it tells me what it's receiving (1080p60) when the camera is recording 1080p30

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. At the moment, the 170mm (unless you go for a 200mm+ dome and a Subal to Nauticam adaptor) is the best dome for the 7-14 / 12-35mm.

    Can you help me? What's the difference in comparison to the Nauticam port?
  12. The zen 170mm is glass vs the Nauticam is a Plastic (for me I prefer the weight of glass)

     

    That is the main difference in price.

     

    Being a slighter larger dome, I'm hoping that it will be slightly sharper in the corners too.

     

    Another benefit is that is easier to pack.

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Edited by thetrickster
  13. Thanks a lot Richard!

  14. Does the GH3 housing have the same port opening as the 7D housing?

    Just wondering if I could use my 8inch acrylic dome on the GH3 housing with the 7-14mm lens?

  15. One other query, if the 8inch dome can be fitted, is there any reason why the 12-50mm lens wouldn't work behind it? Apart from not being able to access the macro button of course?

    Would anyone know what extensions I would need to use for the 7-14 & 12-50?

  16. Hi Pete,

     

    The NA-GH3 housing is within the Nauticam's 'Mirrorless / Mini' group of housings and ports. These are smaller than the 'DSLR' ports, which your 7D Housing uses.

     

    I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there is an adaptor (I can't find it on the Nauticam website) which you can use for using the larger ports with the Mirrorless port system. The only issue I could see, is if there is an adaptor, it would act like an extension ring...

     

    As to the 12-50mm, 12-35mm (which works behind the 170mm dome) is 96mm extended, where as the 12-50 (I read) doesn't extend while zooming (83mm), so I would guess it would work.

     

    (the 12-35 / 7-14mm need the Mirrorless 20mm extension ring for the 170mm Zen dome)

    Edited by thetrickster
  17. Thanks again Richard :)

    There is a release for the GH4 here in Sydney this Saturday at a major camera store so I am very tempted to head down & pick one up.

    Just want to finalise all options before I lay down cash.

    Edited by Pete L
  18. As I said before, still awaiting my 170mm dome, but really looking forward to getting it under the water :)

     

    Might venture out this weekend, with just the 60mm and macro port

  19. Here's a quick GH4 video, shot using the Nauticam GH3 housing. Shot this week by Laz Ruda. This should play at 1080p for you if you click through to the vimeo site.

     

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.