Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Upcoming Panasonic GH-4K

Started by Davide DB ·

  • 349Posts
  • 349Replies

Read-only discussion

Upcoming Panasonic GH-4K

349 posts
  1. Wonderful !!! The GH4 body fit nicely into Nauticam GH3 housing provided:

    1. you took the eyepiece out

    2. GH4 use micro HDMI output so you have to order a new cable (GH3 housing supply with mini HDMI cable, not micro.

    (I have custom order 15cm micro HDMI cable for sale)

    3. you need to modify the housing,the mode control dial rubber pad, enlarge the center hole so as to accommodate the camera's mode dial push button.

     

    Otherthan that, each housing button is nicely seat on top of all corresponding GH4 button,just like the GH3 !!

     

    It is such a wonderful day for all existing GH3 housing owner !!!

     

    Have fun with 4K underwater videography !!

     

    Cheers

    Edmond

  2. Lucky man!!!!

  3. Nice Edmond!!!!

     

    Great stuff!!!

  4. Tomorrow will be an exceptional day for me to return my dental clinic during Sunday. I need to use my high speed hand piece to enlarge the centre hole.

    Will post the picture tomorrow !!!

    Then you may consider to visit your dentist as soon as possible, for a drilling of the rubber pad !!

     

    Cheers

    Edmond

  5. I was thinking to get a spare rubber bit off Nauticam (if possible) and just using a dremel type tool. Not sure I fancy a visit to my dentist ;)

     

    I bet Nauticam will be releasing an 'upgrade' kit with the rubber bit pre-cut at some point.

    Edited by thetrickster
  6. Mission accomplished !! mode control dial modified and now mode can change without problem !!

    14045955583_35c3fe3f33.jpg
    14002815606_9ca5f5851a.jpg
    14022735532_88ce5888b9.jpg
    14046016783_b1959b4aab.jpg
  7. That is great news. Such a simple mod.

    What macro lenses are you guys using?

    What would be similar to the 60mm on a 7D?

    Cheers pete.

  8. 8353306308_def3fd7bce.jpg

    IMHO,after using Pany 45mm and OM 60mm macro, I prefer OM 60mm macro. Far better focus speed, with focus range setting as well.


    Cheers

    Edmond

  9. Thanks Edmond, I will check it out.

  10. I read a post yesterday somewhere that someone received an email from Nauticam saying they're releasing an upgrade kit for the GH4. Presumably that will be a the rubber component with a larger hole plus a micro HDMI cable.

    What macro lenses are you guys using?

    As far as I know you're a bit limited on choice for M43 macro lenses. There's the Panasonic 45mm and the Olympus 60mm. The Olympus generally seems to be preferred, if nothing else because of the extra magnification. Also there is the Olympus 12-50mm with a switchable macro mode that can be accessed via the special Nauticam port. That allows you to get some wider establishing shots before you do your macro shots, but I doubt the macro results are quite as good as the Oly 60mm. For me, the quality sacrifice is probably going to be acceptable if it gives me the flexiblity to shoot wider too during the same dive.

  11. The 12-50 sounds pretty good nick.

    I'll look into that one.

  12. Can someone confirm what the colour recording is when recording internally 1920x1080 with variable frame rates please?

    Everyone is talking about 10bit 422 out from micro hdmi but can't find much on internal recording in full HD.

  13. Internal is always 4:2:0

     

    External 4:2:2 and you can get 1080p 4:4:4 from 4k 4:2:0 via a thirdly party free utility

  14. Thanks davide

  15. Mega Edmond! You are really the 'leader' within us lot here with these mods and stuff!! Kudos!

     

    I have a dremel - so it looks like a super easy mod, I was hoping it would just be the rubber bit that would need cutting (Which I've removed already to cut) - but it looks like you've cut into the bottom of the dial too??

  16.  

    I'm trying to sell my GH2 :alien:

     

    I was going to ask that if, despite your disclaimer, you were going to make the switch ;)

    Mine, ahem, is due to ship next week :)

  17. Hi dear all ,

    Yes, I did remove the delrin beneath the rubber pad. If you just remove the rubber, you find it is hard to rotate the mode dial as the rubber is not compressing hard enough because the lock push button is just in contact with the delrin beneath.

    I need some more room for the push button to go in further.

    And the Pany mode dial is really hard to rotate as well.

     

    Cheers

    Edmond

  18. This is something off-topic,sorry. Just want to share some of my modification regarding marco lighting, more creativity in lighting and a macro framing device to help me locate the macro stuff easier,and the keep distance as well.

    14062559503_f29732aced.jpg

    14039329751_96a1fe5110.jpg

    14039289181_7267e172ff.jpg

    14042955834_6752014b0e.jpg
    14039263612_131731ab71.jpg
    Edited by edmond320
  19. Wow Edmond, that does look novel. Did you make those lights yourself? How does the macro framing device work? Also, what monitor do you have there?

     

    The 12-50 sounds pretty good nick.
    I'll look into that one.

     

    Take a look at this post and this post by Girelle on the stills forums. The macro mode is 43mm. I'm really hoping that lens will give great flexibility for macro video without having to mess about adding a GoPro or something onto the rig for a few wide shots. I'm planning to get that lens and get the Oly 60mm too for dedicated macro dives where I'm not so bothered about establishing shots.

  20. Hi Nick,

    Those light are from Archon,China.

    I add on top with the dental fibre optic to redirect the light which is very very much better than using bunch of fibre optic .

    The light with single fiber optic is 600 lumen and I will use it to creat backligthing of nudibrance or others

    The light with triple fiber optics are much interesting. I add on top with detachable aluminium cone and filled with A+B slicone,then 3 fiber optics can be inserted and rotated individually in all direction.

    regarding this video light ,from their specification:

    2600 lumen White light CREE XML2 U2(2nd generation U2)*4PCS 5000K—5500

    200 lumen Red light CREE XP-E N3 *2PCS wavelength 620nm

    6W Purple 2PCS wavelenght 410nm

    6W UV light 2PCS wavelength365nm

    So you can also play around with fluorescence videography as well !!! You just simply take off the cone and have the UV light turn on and look at this :

    14041733812_19c257c5a7.jpg
    Edited by edmond320
Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.