Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Upcoming Panasonic GH-4K

Started by Davide DB ·

  • 349Posts
  • 349Replies

Read-only discussion

Upcoming Panasonic GH-4K

349 posts
  1. Let's see what's capable of

  2. First nice feature breakdown on this camera (ironic)

     

     

    Time to jump from GH2 to GH4...

    Edited by Davide DB
  3. Yep, I agree - to be honest I've only had my GH3 for a month - but already I've put my name down for a preorder.

     

    What a epic camera!!!

  4. Once upon a time a reserved doc but now it's spreading all across the interweb :alien:

     

    GH4 presentation with definitive specs:

     

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cn0rev9fy5kumfv/GH4_Presentation.pdf

     

    It seems that this time Panasonic listened to they customers and hacking community.

     

    BTW There are some comparative tables against an upcoming 7D MKII :)

  5. Nice! Thanks!

  6. I'm interested to switch over (formally a Canon 7D user). I'm wondering does anyone know if it's possible to use Canon lens on the GH3/4 body? I think there are some made in China adapter that only let you to manual focus wide open aperture non-electronic adapter. But I'm looking for Speedbooster kind of adapter.

  7. I'm interested to switch over (formally a Canon 7D user). I'm wondering does anyone know if it's possible to use Canon lens on the GH3/4 body? I think there are some made in China adapter that only let you to manual focus wide open aperture non-electronic adapter. But I'm looking for Speedbooster kind of adapter.

    I've been having the same thoughts. I looked into it and it looks as though the metabones speed booster is not yet available for Canon EF to M43 mount. But they do seem to have one planned- see here: http://www.metabones.com/article/of/faq

     

    On ebay you can also get adapters that are manual focus, but have an iris built in for aperture. Not much use underwater though.

  8. Yeah the ebay stuffs are not going to cut it. I forgot, probably have to check my lens are not EF-S.

  9. Has anybody seen or heard of a release date yet? I'm heading to Tiger beach last week of March, would be great to take with me...

  10. Last week of March... You might be lucky with that. Depends on preorders I would think.

     

    It's 'weeks' away. Not months. So fingers crossed.

     

    As to adaptor. Don't think they would fit in the housing. Plus if you are manually focusing. The ring wouldn't fit - if you have a speed booster in the way.

     

    For underwater use. You're gonna need m43 lenses.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. On ebay you can also get adapters that are manual focus, but have an iris built in for aperture. Not much use underwater though.

    Yes. With those lens the only option is eBay :(

    Actually I guess they have a huge market.

     

    A little bit OT but an amazing future new entry for uw use

     

    264c92be-a2a1-4511-8966-b12a42a6a4ad_zps

  12. The oly.7-14 is amazing zoom lens for 4/3. A bit pricy. I have used the. 12mm f1.4. Great lens for my BMPCC. With the m4/3 mount there is no shortage of adapters. I have tried tonnes of Nikkor Ai lenses. Some provide really nice images.

     

    8 bit 4 2 0 is not going going to cut it for me. I hope housing manufacturers going to consider all the peripherals needed to make this a real contender for UW 4k.

     

    I would not dismiss Sony yet. 3chip cmos 4k may be soon. One can dream.

     

    Cheers

     

  13. 8 bit 4 2 0 is not going going to cut it for me. I hope housing manufacturers going to consider all the peripherals needed to make this a real contender for UW 4k. I would not dismiss Sony yet. 3chip cmos 4k may be soon. One can dream. Cheers

     

    The GH4 outputs via the HDMI, an uncompressed 10bit 4.2.2 signal (although internal recording is disabled if you record in this mode)

     

    So (like I have) if you are using a Ninja2 (in a NA-NINJA2 housing) - you will be able to get 220Mbps 10Bit 422 ProRes straight off the camera.

  14. Or even better...

     

    GH4 has already internal 1080p 444 recording. It is just the 4K itself!

    When the camera will be out it's a matter of time and simple convert utilities will appear. They will make 444 lossless formats out of 4K videos.

  15. Don't you need that massive block on the underneath to get 4:2:2 10 bit 4K? but you can get 4:2:2 8 bit from the built-in HDMI, or am i misunderstanding? In either case, is there an affordable external recorder for 4k yet? and if so are we going to get a housing for it? Questions, questions....

  16. No, read the previously posted presentation in PDF.

     

    You just need a micro hdmi cable and an external recorder as well.

     

    EDIT: Doc was removed from original location but it's here again:

     

    http://www.personal-view.com/logo/GH4_Presentation.pdf

    Edited by Davide DB
  17. I continue with this little OT because Oly officially presented the lens showing a mock-up. Real lens will be out in 2015 :nea:

     

     

    M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm 1:2.8 PRO lens

    The new splash and dust-proof M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm F2.8 PRO is the first wide-angle zoom lens in the M.ZUIKO PRO series to cover 14-28mm**. Not only does the compact and lightweight design of the lens portray the well-known ZUIKO Quality. Its excellent depictive power and the superb clarity from the center of an image up into each corner of the picture are another highlight of this outstanding new Micro Four Thirds lens.

     

     

    http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/picrumors/picrumors001/0071_zps6ee9e0a3.jpg

  18. Don't you need that massive block on the underneath to get 4:2:2 10 bit 4K? but you can get 4:2:2 8 bit from the built-in HDMI, or am i misunderstanding? In either case, is there an affordable external recorder for 4k yet? and if so are we going to get a housing for it? Questions, questions....

     

    No, the 4k 10bit 4:2:2 signal is available straight out of the side HDMI port - no need for the brick. Alas the only underwater recorder (with HDMI) at the moment as I'm aware is the Ninja2, and that is 'limited' to 1080p30 4:2:2. HOWEVER with 10bit 4:2:2 - you are limited to external recording ONLY

     

    8 bit 4:2:2 - you will be able to record simultaneously (both to SD, and have uncompressed 8bit to the HDMI port)

     

    The 'Brick' is mainly for XLR and SDI outputs.

    Edited by thetrickster
  19. Or even better...

     

    GH4 has already internal 1080p 444 recording. It is just the 4K itself!

    When the camera will be out it's a matter of time and simple convert utilities will appear. They will make 444 lossless formats out of 4K videos.

     

    Yes, that is one mega benefit of 4k - 1080p 4:4:4 :)

  20. As to adaptor. Don't think they would fit in the housing. Plus if you are manually focusing. The ring wouldn't fit - if you have a speed booster in the way.

     

    For underwater use. You're gonna need m43 lenses.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

     

    Yeah the Canon lens is going to be used for land base only, of course for UW use I will have to get m43 lens that work with the housing and port. All in all, I have $2500 worth of Canon lens with filter etc. So if I could use those lens, it would be ideal.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.