Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

GH4 - Nauticam Macro Lens/Port Thoughts

Started by peterbkk ·

  • 260Posts
  • 260Replies

Read-only discussion

GH4 - Nauticam Macro Lens/Port Thoughts

260 posts
  1. Which lens for wide angle are you gh4 users using? Wide angle doesn't necessarily "need" the stabilization but a stabilized lens is obviously a big plus. If only the 7-14 Panasonic was stabilized..

     

    Remember that Panasonic will not put stabilisation in lenses up to 25 mm field of view.

     

    With in body stabilisation of the newer cameras this is becoming a rather moot point.

  2. I'm using the 14-42mm II behind the WWL-1.

     

    At least I have some stabilisation at the moment, the GH5 IBIS should work lovely with the 7-14mm mind (which I also own) and make the 14-42mm silky smooth with Dual-IS2.

  3. Im getting the 14-42 and 7-14. What are u saying about up to 25mm lenses? The 14-42 would fall into that category but it is stabilized.

    Oh and btw, would all/most of the buttons work on the gh5 in a gh4 nauticam housing?

     

    Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

  4. Oh and btw, would all/most of the buttons work on the gh5 in a gh4 nauticam housing?

    The housing door won't even close if you tried the GH5 in the GH4 housing (if we are talking Nauticam) as the GH5 is thicker (and about 10% more in volume)

     

     

    Regards - Richard

  5. The housing door won't even close if you tried the GH5 in the GH4 housing (if we are talking Nauticam) as the GH5 is thicker (and about 10% more in volume)

     

     

    Regards - Richard

    Damn, that's a bummer (just looking at pics I thought they looked decently equal)

     

    Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

  6. Here are the GH5 overlaid (in Red) the GH4 - as you can see the GH5 is quite a bit different in all aspects

     

    post-43742-0-58910800-1486109030_thumb.jpg

    (Aligning to Mount)

     

    post-43742-0-81404700-1486109036_thumb.jpg

    (Aligning to EVF)

     

    post-43742-0-83478100-1486109042_thumb.jpg

    Aligned to Hotshoe

    Edited by thetrickster
  7. I've got the 14-42 PZ lens and I can't access the rec menu in video mode, meaning I can't control the in lens stabilization.

    Does this mean that the stabilization is not working while I'm in video mode? Or is that how you're supposed to change it every time? Swapping to let's say photo mode, turning it on/off and then swapping back to video?

    Cheers

  8. I've got the 14-42 PZ lens and I can't access the rec menu in video mode, meaning I can't control the in lens stabilization.

    Does this mean that the stabilization is not working while I'm in video mode? Or is that how you're supposed to change it every time? Swapping to let's say photo mode, turning it on/off and then swapping back to video?

    Cheers

     

    I think that if you turn it on in photo mode and go back to video mode, it remains on for video too.

  9. Anyone here using the 14-42 (PZ) with a diopter that could give me some input? I'm thinking about getting the 45mm macro as it seems to be able to produce much more nice close up video. I do have a subsee +5 to go along with my 14-42 but haven't gotten to test it yet (first trip with it in a month)

    Could the 14-42 along with the +5 produce nice enough macro shots to justify not buying the 45mm?

    Sample images would be wonderful if possible :)

  10. Hope you dont mind "refreshing" this older threat.

     

    on the Panasonic 45mm: I got it on my GH5 and following some pool tests, its just "too macro" for dives where you may also want to shoot fish portraits and "semi-small" stuff. Of course for just Nudis and smaller the 45mm should be great. I have just pulled the trigger on the Panasonic PZ 14-42 as it is just a lot more versatile. I now need to get myself that Nauticam Macro Port 29. Or do I need to get the Macro Port 35?

     

    Sorry still a bit confused on that one....

     

    bubffm

  11. If you plan on not using wet lenses then the original 35 port works fine with the PZ lens, however if you plan to use say the WWL-1 or other wet lenses, then the newer 29 port would be better.

     

     

    Regards - Richard

  12. Thanks Richard, ordered the 29 Port as i understand it would work with Macro Diopters, which I may use from time to time.

     

    BTW: Do you still do the "modded" Foucs gear you designed some time ago for the PZ 14-42? I would be very interested to buy one.

     

    Burkhard

  13. Thanks Richard, ordered the 29 Port as i understand it would work with Macro Diopters, which I may use from time to time.

     

    BTW: Do you still do the "modded" Foucs gear you designed some time ago for the PZ 14-42? I would be very interested to buy one.

     

    Burkhard

     

    Watch out! I find the 14-42 with diopters for macro a pain in the ass since you can't manual focus!!!!. It drove me crazy in my tests. In 14mm without tripod you may get by, but close macros in 42mm is really challenging.

  14. Thats why I'm looking for Richard's modded Focus Gear for this lens, if he is still printing them :-)

     

    Focus seems to be a challenge on all these more versatile lenses (similar issue: Olympus 12-50) and going with a fully dedicated Macro lens like the Pana 45 Macro or the Oly 60mm doesnt always makes sense.

  15. Thats why I'm looking for Richard's modded Focus Gear for this lens, if he is still printing them :-)

     

     

    I couldn't make it work!!!. The screw holes are too tiny and are not printed well. The screws end up coming out in five minutes of use. How did you printed it??.

    Richard told me he would send me one but he didn't yet :))

  16. I dont have a printer, need to get it printed by someone...

  17. Send me your address via PM, and I'll get a printed gear off to you two..

     

    Will have to dust off the 3d printer over the weekend and get some filament.

     

    Apologies Etc for being slack previously.

     

    Rich

  18. 2x Focus Gears printed off.

     

    Not sure if I'll have a chance this weekend to get to the post office, but will get them in the post next week.

     

    I've tried both and they fit and work :) Sorry for the blue filament.

    post-43742-0-79139300-1500647812_thumb.jpg

    post-43742-0-97719000-1500647813_thumb.jpg

    post-43742-0-90478100-1500647814_thumb.jpg

  19. looks cool. Looking forward :)

     

    Many thanks

  20. Looks great. Thanks a lot!!!

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.