Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

GH4 - Nauticam Macro Lens/Port Thoughts

Started by peterbkk ·

  • 260Posts
  • 260Replies

Read-only discussion

GH4 - Nauticam Macro Lens/Port Thoughts

260 posts
  1. I stumbled across this supplier who I bet would add one of these custom gears to their range (or just make one-offs) if asked.

  2. I stumbled across this supplier who I bet would add one of these custom gears to their range (or just make one-offs) if asked.

    I know jussi he got me the mega OIS 14-42 gear when Nauticam wasn't yet producing one

    Very precise and reliable person

  3. ...The issue with this gearing is the springs - its quite a clever solution from Nauticam, if you're happy using the zoom gearing as a basis for the focus gearing, all that needs to be replaced is the top part (see photo) which I've redone for the smaller focus switch...

     

    This was the last 'edit' of the focus gearing I made:

     

    https://tinkercad.com/things/29Rl2kCpgi1

     

    Just download and print :)

     

    Thanks very much (belatedly) for this. In light of your earlier comments, can I confirm that the latest design does not require any parts from Nauticam's zoom gear (e.g. springs)?

     

    Now that the WWL-1 and bayonet system are out, I'm thinking of investing in a 14-42 PZ / WWL-1 / CMC setup for dives that might involve big stuff and small stuff.

  4. You still need to buy the zoom gearing for this to work (sadly).

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. Oh, OK. USD220. Ouch.

  6. .

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

     

    Find me on Twitter if you like @BazMattaz

  7. Quick question. I'm considering putting the Panasonic 14-42 PZ underwater.

     

    The port recommended was the 36139 - 35 mm flat port. This will combine well with the CMC wet lens for macro work.

     

    However, for use with the WWL there is listed a new 36165 port which is 29 mm long. This latest port is not listed as beeing compatible with the CMC.

     

    What gives? My priority is the CMC option, but it would be nice if the same port could suit both the CMC and WWL, but this don' seem to be the case in the port chart!?

     

    However, it seems that the no power zoom version of a 14-42 mm lens will fit nicely in the 35 mm port for both the CMC and WWL.

     

    http://www.nauticam.com/images/catalog/catalog_24.pdf

    Edited by EspenB
  8. Quick question. I'm considering putting the Panasonic 14-42 PZ underwater.

     

    The port recommended was the 36139 - 35 mm flat port. This will combine well with the CMC wet lens for macro work.

     

    However, for use with the WWL there is listed a new 36165 port which is 29 mm long. This latest port is not listed as beeing compatible with the CMC.

     

    What gives? My priority is the CMC option, but it would be nice if the same port could suit both the CMC and WWL, but this don' seem to be the case in the port chart!?

     

    However, it seems that the no power zoom version of a 14-42 mm lens will fit nicely in the 35 mm port for both the CMC and WWL.

     

    http://www.nauticam.com/images/catalog/catalog_24.pdf

     

    Hi EspenB,

     

    There is no problem to use CMC on #36165 Macro port 29. The shorter port is used for WWL-1 so as to reduce the space between the lens and WWL-1 as much as possible (to avoid vignetting). The 6mm gap will make no real different for the macro lens CMC. On the other way, there will be vignetting if you put the WWL-1 in front of #36139 Macro port 35 due to the 6mm gap.

     

    Hope this help.

  9. The cost of the 14-42 mega OIS II and printed zoom gear is less than the new port however it is standard and you can't control manual focus

  10. The cost of the 14-42 mega OIS II and printed zoom gear is less than the new port however it is standard and you can't control manual focus

     

    Heck yeah, the H-FS1442A is cheap and even cheaper used - like 100 euro or so - but I allready have the PZ14-42 hanging around. Got the PZ togheter with an GF5 on sale for substantially less than the PZ14-42 lens cost alone.

     

    So I allready have the PZ14-42 as well as the CMC wet lens, and with the zoom action controlled by the cursor keys on the GH3/GH4 all I'm missing is the port...

     

    There is also the issue of Mega OIS vs Power OIS.

  11.  

    Hi EspenB,

     

    There is no problem to use CMC on #36165 Macro port 29. The shorter port is used for WWL-1 so as to reduce the space between the lens and WWL-1 as much as possible (to avoid vignetting). The 6mm gap will make no real different for the macro lens CMC. On the other way, there will be vignetting if you put the WWL-1 in front of #36139 Macro port 35 due to the 6mm gap.

     

    Hope this help.

     

    Glad to hear! Seriously I have no imidiate plans for the WWL-1 (with both 7-14 and fisheye 8 allready available for WA work) so standard and macro is my current concern.

     

    So the question boils down to getting either the 35 or the 29 mm port. The former will also accomodate the 14-42II on a later stage, but no WWL-1 for the PZ. The later port is PZ14-42 only...

  12. If you plan on using the power zoom lens only get the short port. Make your calculations correctly as the zoom gear for the PZ is expensive. I have both lenses and I only use the power zoom on land. Happy to sell a semi-new zoom gear

  13. Oh, OK. USD220. Ouch.

     

     

    You still need to buy the zoom gearing for this to work (sadly).

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

     

    So I guess you need to buy the zoom gear and substitute one of the three pieces for the printed one. Am I right?

    Edited by Etc
  14.  

    So I guess you need to buy the zoom gear and substitute one of the three pieces for the printed one. Am I right?

     

    Yep, that about it.

     

    The zoom gear has springs and is actually quite complicated - not something personally I could design and print. So I needed the zoom gear and modified it.

     

    Jussi at deep shots might have a more skilled hand than I - and maybe a better printer to do a more complete custom piece.

    Edited by thetrickster
  15.  

    Edited by Etc
  16.  

    Yep, that about it.

     

    The zoom gear has springs and is actually quite complicated - not something personally I could design and print. So I needed the zoom gear and modified it.

     

    Jussi at deep shots might have a more skilled hand than I - and maybe a better printer to do a more complete custom piece.

    Hi

    I finally bought the zoom gear and printed your piece, but the thread holes are extremely thin (in extremely thin walls as well) and the little screws couldn't screw well.

    Besides this issue I'm affraid the material is too flexible and instead of "pushing" the knob as it should, the wall kind of "bulges" above it. I don't know if I expressed it well...

     

    Can you tell me some 3D print specifications (material/resolution, etc I shoult consider before printing again?

     

    Thanks a lot!!!

  17. Let me print one and see what the issue is.

     

    Where in spain are you? Can get one in the post to you if you like? (Im based down in Malaga area)

  18. Let me print one and see what the issue is.

     

    Where in spain are you? Can get one in the post to you if you like? (Im based down in Malaga area)

     

    Are you serious???
    I live in Madrid, but I'm from Malaga and have my family over there!!. Unfortunately I'm leaving to Maldives tomorrow, so I will have to shoot with AF in my very first macro tests with the GH4, but a friend of mine is joining us in 7 days. Maybe I could find some place to print it in Barcelona (where my friend is from) and make him bring it to me. You are very kind offering to ship it to me and I really appreciate it, but I guess by knowing the right resolution or material you are using I should get same results, Am I right?. If not sure, could you get it printed and send it to my friend?. I guess you have a spanish bank account I could easily transfer the money of your expenses...
    I've just got an estimate from a printing company... 104€ printed in Inox, and 300€ in aluminum!!!!!!!!!
    Regards!!
  19. Which lens for wide angle are you gh4 users using? Wide angle doesn't necessarily "need" the stabilization but a stabilized lens is obviously a big plus. If only the 7-14 Panasonic was stabilized..

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.