Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Who shares on Instagram?

Started by Alison Perkins ·

  • 95Posts
  • 95Replies

Read-only discussion

Who shares on Instagram?

95 posts
  1. I'm interested in following some more underwater photographers on Instagram. Do you share your photos on Instagram? What underwater photographers do you follow?

     

    You're welcome to follow me, or not. It's totally up to you! :-)

    https://www.instagram.com/inspired_to_dive/

  2. I started with Instagram last year but I've mostly given up on it because I can't post from my laptop. My instagram workflow was post to Facebook, save to mobile, post to Instagram. If there was an export out of Lightroom desktop option I'd give it another go.

  3. I really like Instagram. It is social media for image makers...

     

    I am https://www.instagram.com/hanlonphoto/

     

    I also use the https://www.lrinstagram.com/ plug in. It is good!

     

    All the best

     

    Adam


    Of course, there is also Wetpixel's own instagram channel: @wetpixelgram

     

    Adam

    Edited by adamhanlon
  4. I like:

     

    @alexmustard1

    @glencowans

    @nudibranch.ia

    @mattdraperphotography

    @brianskerry

    @pelagic_life

    @paulnicklen

    @oceangeographic

    @tom.st.george

    @waterlust

    @depth.nz

    @daviddoubilet

     

    ... and many more. Whose pics do you enjoy seeing?

  5. I post my UW pictures to Instagram regularly (@scubajonjake). I find it to be a great venue for all my non-diver friends to better understand and appreciate why I go diving in cold California water so often. I have also found it to be a great place to see what other local UW photographers are seeing/doing.

  6. Could anyone explain how different instagram is from flickr, or maybe complementary?

    As Adam puts it Instagram is a social media for image maker, but so is flickr, isn't it?

     

    I have started sharing uw photos on social media only recently (flickr), and have established a workflow of export to flickr straight from lightroom, then posting links to flickr on facebook for non-diving friends. I am wondering also how instagram could fit there.

     

     

    Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

  7. Hi folks,

     

    Finally registrated at Wetpixel. :-)

     

    My Instagram is @live_and_let_dive

     

    https://www.instagram.com/live_and_let_dive/

     

    Looking forward to conversations here or over there or hopefully with some of you on some future dive trips.

     

    Cheers

    Marcel

     

     

    Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

  8. I like:

     

    @alexmustard1

    @glencowans

    @nudibranch.ia

    @mattdraperphotography

    @brianskerry

    @pelagic_life

    @paulnicklen

    @oceangeographic

    @tom.st.george

    @waterlust

    @depth.nz

    @daviddoubilet

     

    ... and many more. Whose pics do you enjoy seeing?

    Hehe. This is pretty much my top list too [emoji328][emoji108]

     

     

    Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

  9. Could anyone explain how different instagram is from flickr, or maybe complementary?

    As Adam puts it Instagram is a social media for image maker, but so is flickr, isn't it?

     

    I have started sharing uw photos on social media only recently (flickr), and have established a workflow of export to flickr straight from lightroom, then posting links to flickr on facebook for non-diving friends. I am wondering also how instagram could fit there.

     

     

    Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

    Instagram has about 600 mio and Flickr ca. 85 mio. So obviously the potential audience is much larger. [emoji847]

     

     

    Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

  10. Instagram has about 600 mio and Flickr ca. 85 mio. So obviously the potential audience is much larger. [emoji847]

     

     

    Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

    You have a point!

    But does Instagram have the same artistic focus as Flickr? I mean, what are most people sharing or looking for on Instagram?

     

    At least it's my impression that on Flickr most users like photography for itself and would post less "photo of that nice pasta dish i had at lunch" or "my kitten sleeping".

    It's good to have larger potential audience, except if you're diluted in the kind of photos i am referring to.

    For instance on facebook i may post photo of that good glass on beer, but never on Flickr where i stick to underwater photos which i am happy about.

     

     

    Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

  11. I'm curious... what's the photographer's copyright protection on instagram? Can they just up and use (steal) your images for their own use like on other social media platforms?

     

    I've resisted posting anywhere but on my own website due to the way stuff gets "borrowed" without attribution - it's so bad there's one dude who was winning photo contests with other people's photos and he got away with it.

     

    So again, kind of curious as to the protections offered by instagram.

  12. I'm curious... what's the photographer's copyright protection on instagram? Can they just up and use (steal) your images for their own use like on other social media platforms?

     

    I've resisted posting anywhere but on my own website due to the way stuff gets "borrowed" without attribution - it's so bad there's one dude who was winning photo contests with other people's photos and he got away with it.

     

    So again, kind of curious as to the protections offered by instagram.

    Actually Instagram itself has some contact forms for that kind of stuff. What I'm doing for some time now is to put my logo on the pics. It's a bit more of an effort and of course it could be removed quite easily via Photoshop etc. but that would be an effort again. Those kind of people are normally quite a lazy bunch. Within the Instagram underwater photo community you normally get credit in reposts. I had some smaller issues but some followers of mine actually commented underneath the pic an put my handle in there so I got noticed. In most of the cases the reposter puts your Insta handle in the post, especially the larger uw accounts which only tale pics from other folks give you credit. And you'll get quickly some more followers.

     

    I either put my logo directly on the pic when I export it from Lightroom or via Marksta on my iPhone.

     

    Don't you normally have to send in the original pic in contests?

     

    And one thing to keep in mind: the resolution on Instagram is not that good in the end. So if you steal a pic there the quality is quite mediocre. [emoji12]

     

     

    Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

  13. @_Split_Photography_

    :)

  14. I'm interested in following some more underwater photographers on Instagram. Do you share your photos on Instagram? What underwater photographers do you follow?

     

    You're welcome to follow me, or not. It's totally up to you! :-)

    https://www.instagram.com/inspired_to_dive/

     

    I do share a few select photos on Instagram :)https://www.instagram.com/underwater.adventures/

     

    When I first started I wasn't as selective, but now I try to keep the focus on underwater photography with an occasional above water shot thrown in for a little flavor :) I follow Mike Veitch (Hi Mike :) ), Amanda Cotton, David Fleetham, Isabella Maffei, and Jenni Wilson to name a few.... oh and Alison Perkins who I just discovered today ;)

    Edited by ScubaBill22
  15. Hello Guys,

    I also share on instagram.
    Check it out https://instagram.com/donttellmymom.co
    I know the username looks strange and the post looks like spam, but trust me its not :)

    Cheers :)

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.