Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

RETRA Strobe Thread

Started by guyharrisonphoto ·

  • 698Posts
  • 698Replies

Read-only discussion

RETRA Strobe Thread

698 posts
  1. Hi newboy

     

    A firmware update for the Retra Flash is in the making and we expect it to be ready at the end of the year. Once we have it available we will notify everyone about the possibility of upgrading the firmware.

    Because the update requires sending the strobe to us we want to make sure it will work as expected and that's why it will take more time to confirm.

     

    Thank you

  2. Looking for someone to hopefully be able to confirm that my Retra strobes will work with the TURTLE TTL on a Sony A7 III in a Nauticam housing! Optical connection to be used.

    Edited by unregistered
  3. Hi Oscar can you give us a summary of the intended features in the update? Also, are we clear to use the external battery packs at this time?

     

    I think the flashes are great, and I am getting better lighting than ever on my shots. It is one of the best gear upgrades I have done.

     

    Can you post any tips for using the LSD? I find it very hard to coordinate holding the camera and manipulating the light to the correct position, and I don't have a buddy to hold and point the flash.

     

    Thanks!

     

     

     

    Hi Guy

     

    I've coped this into a new thread as it's a good question and worth it's own thread! I'm a user too of the LSD and had "quite a learning curve" with it in Bonaire recently

    Edited by TimG
  4. Oops - that went slightly wrong! Apologies Guy!

     

    Here's the question for Oscar on the strobes. (The LSD question has its own thread now)

     

    Hi Oscar can you give us a summary of the intended features in the update? Also, are we clear to use the external battery packs at this time?

    I think the flashes are great, and I am getting better lighting than ever on my shots. It is one of the best gear upgrades I have done.

  5. Hi Guy

     

    We are working mainly on improving the TTL program and we are testing some smaller changes which will hopefully make using the strobe even more easy. They will be described in detail once the update is available which we are aiming to produce at the end of the year. Regarding the ABC's we are now sending out emails with instructions so you should get the information soon.

     

    Thank you for your question regarding the LSD, I will answer it in the separate thread.

     

    Thanks

  6. Hi Oskar,

     

    Do you have any news regarding the knew strobe announcement ?

     

    Regards,

    Clément

  7. Thanks Oskar

     

    It would be hard to make them any more easy! I use mainly manual mode but look forward to the TTL improvements with interest for my macro work.

     

    One change, maybe offer a plate for the mounting ball on the other side from where it is, that way, when mounted the way most of us do on our arms, the back of the flash will be "right side up" instead of upside down. That is about the only improvement I could even suggest.

     

    Personal for me, maybe an even brighter focus light, because in shallow water with the LSD the small spot can be overwhelmed by ambient light. In any other conditions they are plenty bright.

  8. Hi Oskar,

     

    Do you have any news regarding the knew strobe announcement ?

     

    Regards,

    Clément

    +1

     

     

    Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

  9. Is there a new flash in the works? Or just the firmware upgrade . . .

  10. Is there a new flash in the works? Or just the firmware upgrade . . .

    Both, Oskar had announced in may that they were working on a new flash, to be announced in July-August, hence our questions :)

     

     

    Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

  11. Both, Oskar had announced in may that they were working on a new flash, to be announced in July-August, hence our questions :)

     

     

    Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

    The killer will be losing my strobes when the firmware work is done.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. Is there a way to use the Retra strobes with the Sony A7 III in a Nauticam housing and get TTL?

  13. Is there a way to use the Retra strobes with the Sony A7 III in a Nauticam housing and get TTL?

    Yes, but your housing must be configured for fiber optics. With wires there is only basic old-fashioned flash synch which is what I am using with my Seacams.

  14. Yes, but your housing must be configured for fiber optics. With wires there is only basic old-fashioned flash synch which is what I am using with my Seacams.

     

    Excellent! Fibre optic it is. Which trigger is capable of TTL between the Sony and Retras?

  15. Explain this ttl and nauticam and retra strobe again

  16. See this page: https://www.retra-uwt.com/pages/retra-flash

     

    Note this towards the bottom of the bullet points: Inon and Sea&Sea dual compatible optical connector

     

    Evidently these connectors work but I have zero experience with them. I prefer the simplicity of wires. However, wired synch cables will eventually fail but there is a lot of variability as to how long they last in my experience. I have or had some rather old cords that worked last time I used them - they are from the 80's!

  17. See this page: https://www.retra-uwt.com/pages/retra-flash

     

    Note this towards the bottom of the bullet points: Inon and Sea&Sea dual compatible optical connector

     

    Evidently these connectors work but I have zero experience with them. I prefer the simplicity of wires. However, wired synch cables will eventually fail but there is a lot of variability as to how long they last in my experience. I have or had some rather old cords that worked last time I used them - they are from the 80's!

    So how does the fiber optic makes the ttl work? We put the fiber optics cable on the housing. Then the other end we put it on the strobe. That's it? We have ttl?? No need a convertor?
  18. So how does the fiber optic makes the ttl work? We put the fiber optics cable on the housing. Then the other end we put it on the strobe. That's it? We have ttl?? No need a convertor?

    Retra has electronics in the strobe to do the TTL. Contact Retra for the details as there is a firmware updates in progress that I suspect pertains to TTL. Also see earlier posts in this thread as a few folks have already used TTL and they mention hardware used.

    Edited by Tom_Kline
  19. Retra has electronics in the strobe to do the TTL. Contact Retra for the details as there is a firmware updates in progress that I suspect pertains to TTL. Also see earlier posts in this thread as a few folks have already used TTL and they mention hardware used.

     

    Thanks Tom!

     

    Was more curious about the actual hot shoe trigger unit. I know the Nauticam one specifically does not support TTL. Was wondering if anyone has used any other hardware specifically on a Sony mirrorless camera that allows for TTL through fiber optics!

  20. I believe TRT Electronics' TURTLE triggers support TTL over fiber optics.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.