Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

DIY fiber optic writeup with parts

Started by chrisdarke ·

  • 108Posts
  • 108Replies

Read-only discussion

DIY fiber optic writeup with parts

108 posts
  1. I don't mind the coiling for setup; for me straight FO cables always seem to somehow get in front of the lens or are too short to get the arms out straight (something I rarely do). Certainly they are much cheaper and if you get a large enough diameter fiber you can use the LED triggers and TTL at least on Inon strobes. I have not had good success with straight fibers (although at 1.5 mm diameter) getting reliable TTl from my OMD-EM1 -II and some S&S strobes. The other disadvantages are that if you are at all klutzy (guilty) you can end up getting them crimped and you get a lot less light through and they are hard to fit into the 90 degree fittings.

     

    Bill

  2. As Algwyn observes, coiling the fiber optic cables is not useful, as the coil floats about, is in the way, and can get caught; in fact, the coils waste cable as they are not necessary at all. 

    All I do is thread the cable thru the holes in my strobe arms, and wind any excess around the clamps and arms.  That way the cable is secure, out of harms way and well organized. 

    (I had described this approach in this thread, on Sept 21, 2017).

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  3. I am pretty sure that most FO cable sinks. PMMA has a density of 1.2 or so. 

    If the cable is secure in a given strobe configuration then moving the strobes out will either require unwinding or it will pull the fiber out of the camera or the strobe. I suspect that there is a reason that all of the commercial FO cables are coiled, both for strain relief and for ease of changing lighting configurations.

     

    Bill

     

  4. Fiber Optic Cables do not need coils except to make it easy for cable makers to sell a single model of cable that can be stretched to fit the needs of different photographers. 

    Otherwise, Cables with Coils can get caught on outside objects and pulled off, they flop around and are a nuisance. I learned this the hard way while diving when one of my coiled cables was inadvertently kicked off, and lost, by the dive guide. 

    Another important drawback to coils is that they double or more the length of the cable, thereby significantly cutting down the amount of light that reaches the strobe. 
    Coiling requires heating the cable, as in hot water, and heating is well known to "cook" the optic fiber, making it opaque and markedly reducing the light transmitted.  Both the added cable length and the reduced light may explain why some strobes such as the Sea&Sea are said not to fire consistently with coiled fiber optic cables.

    Coiling requires a thin cable, and thin cables break easily, two or three of mine have broken, like brittle spaghetti, during daily use.

    In contrast, thicker cables with no coils, ie, Toslink,  in my experience have always triggered Inon and Sea&Sea strobes of several models, have not gotten caught on external objects nor interfered with the taking of photos.  

    To ensure one has a cable sufficiently long for other, longer strobe arms, it is easy to make it long enough so one can thread or wind the cable around the arms being used, and to add one or more wraps for the spare length.

    It is important to use Toslink of 3 or 4 mm o.d. as it is much tougher than the 1 or 1.5 mm cable, and transmits much more light, at almost no additional cost. These thicker cables do not break, in my experience. 

    In brief, to fire a strobe from an underwater housings, a short, thick, un-coiled straight fiber optic cable is much tougher, and carries much more light than a long, thin, coiled cable.  It  always fires the strobe, is inexpensive, dependable and easy to make, with few if any problems.

    ==
     

     

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  5. Well I am not sure about the much more light argument, the 3 mm cable has a loss of 0.24 dB per meter and the 613 fiber optic has a loss of 0.4 dB which is the difference between 94 and 91 % transmission if the NA of the two cables is the same. So you get 3% more light from a 3x larger cable. In any case, if it works it works. As for "coiling requires heating the cable, as in hot water, and heating is well known to "cook" the optic fiber, making it opaque and markedly reducing the light transmitted.  Both the added cable length and the reduced light may explain why some strobes such as the Sea&Sea are said not to fire consistently with coiled fiber optic cables." this is simply not true at least for the 613 cable fibers. I have tried to measure (with an integrating sphere) the loss of transmission upon cabling and it is hard to see the difference; it is only a few percent. I have never broken even the 1 mm single fiber cables (they are PMMA and if you try to break one by pulling or bending good luck). The biggest advantage to me is that the multi-core fibers can be bent over a 1mm bend radius and still transmit 95% of the light, if you bend a thicker fiber it will stop working. 

    Again if it works for you then don't worry.

    Bill

     

  6. My comments were only about single fiber cables, as I have no experience with multi fiber cables, and my comment above did not mention or refer to them. I use of 3 or 4 mm Toslink cables, have no need for the more complicated variety.

    As  I have seen single fiber cables lose light transmission when put in hot water to coil them, my point is there is no need to coil the cables as when kept straight they transmit more light; they readily available from Amazon or eBay for a low price; plus they are tough, simple to use, and always fire the strobe.  

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  7. If it works for you then great. I prefer the 90 degree cable connectors and they are hard to use with thicker cables. In terms of cost they are about $6 each in small quantities. Toslink cables I think are about $6.50 on Amazon for a meter and you can make straight connections for very little 4 using heat shrink tubing. A meter of 613 fiber cable is $7.50 (you can of course use them straight not coiled) so the total cable is $20. Not a large difference, basically a single nitrox fill here in LA. 

    Bill

  8. I tried making my own cable today and I couldn't get it to work.

    I used a Toslink cable I picked up a while back and 2 of these:

    https://reefphoto.com/products/inon-90-degree-double-hole-fiber-optic-plug-rubber-bush-plug

    I cut the cable neatly, on a cutting board, using a utility razor knife.

    I have a Inon sensor-to-S&S plug connector for my Z240, and a Nauticam-to-S&S plug connector for my Nauticam housing.

    With my homemade cable, I could see the LED trigger flashing out the end, but it would not trigger my Z240.

    Subbing in the Howshot 613 cable I've been using, and the strobe would trigger just fine.

    Looking at the strobe end of the 2 cables, it seemed like the flash coming out of the Howshot cable was noticeably brighter than the flash coming out of my Toslink cable.

    Any idea what I need to do differently?

    I am definitely bummed. After reading all this thread, I thought this was going to be easy...

  9. Toslink is super thin.  Get a 2mm end glow cable off of ebay.  Also avoid 90deg elbow connectors.  Just drill through an old connector from a broken cable and run it straight.

  10. 3 hours ago, stuartv said:

     

    I am definitely bummed. After reading all this thread, I thought this was going to be easy...

    It is easy, but you need to cut it very straight, if you cut it at an angle it may affect the quality of the light.

     

    In addition you may want to cut off some of the shielding towards both connectors, to allow a bit more light to spill out. 

     

    Don't do what I did and buy a super stiff optical cable that breaks when you bend it 90deg! Hah

  11. On 10/6/2020 at 9:32 PM, Algwyn said:

    There is an interesting thread in a French underwater photography forum on using large (4 mm) fiber optic cables.

    These fibers are cheap, do not break easily, and transmit tons of light ... after a few trial and error, the posters managed to get them working very well. It worked so well that in some of the early trials, where they used uncoated fibers, the flashes of neighboring photographers triggered the strobes!

    They have made 3D printed parts to adapt these fibers to standard connectors. Interesting of the DIY minded ...

    I've tried it, it works but print the 3D part at 101 or 102% otherwise they will slip out of the strobe.

    I use 3mm internal diameter cable with plastic coating (between 4.2-4.5mm is fine). The eBay cable is a bit rigid vs the Ali one but it fits better

  12. Does anyone have a solution to be able to use these with a 90deg elbow?  Im trying to use these DIY cables but there is some major interference when using my EPL10 and the 8mm Panasonic in the AOI housing with dome port.  I can share a photo of the interference if that would help.

  13. 55 minutes ago, Dann-Oh said:

    Does anyone have a solution to be able to use these with a 90deg elbow?  Im trying to use these DIY cables but there is some major interference when using my EPL10 and the 8mm Panasonic in the AOI housing with dome port.  I can share a photo of the interference if that would help.

     

    Just throwing out a single data point (which I posted in my thread about using YS-D3 strobes with a UWT trigger yesterday).

    Last night, I tried the combo of a YS-D3 strobe and my UWT trigger using 5 different f/o cables. 3 were handmade by @bvanant and 2 were Howshot 613L cables I bought from Diversion a while back.

    The thick, straight (no coils), solid core cable, with straight plugs did not work to trigger the strobe.

    The thinner, 1000-strand core, coiled cable with straight plugs did not work to trigger the strobe.

    The 613-strand, coiled cable with 90 degree plugs worked to trigger the strobe.

    The Howshot cables, which are 613-strand, coiled cables, with 90 degree plugs, both worked to trigger the strobe.

  14. 1 hour ago, stuartv said:

    The 613-strand, coiled cable with 90 degree plugs worked to trigger the strobe.

    Do you have a parts list for this?

  15. On 1/26/2021 at 6:00 AM, davehicks said:

    Toslink is super thin.  Get a 2mm end glow cable off of ebay.  Also avoid 90deg elbow connectors.  Just drill through an old connector from a broken cable and run it straight.

    Is there a cable which is flexible enough for the 90deg elbow connectors? 

  16. Thanks @diggy, seems it needs to be a fairly specific type of cable which allows coiling and bending!

  17. Has anyone experimented with alternate ways of implementing a 90 degree connector? Rather than bending the cable, which requires expensive multi-core cable to get the bend radius, could a connector be built with a tiny mirror in it?

    The idea is, use a cheap and reluctant to bend cable such as toslink, then have a connector with tiny mirror in the end to get a 90 degree reflection into the strobe optical receiver or out of the camera optical port.

  18. I bent my Toslink f.o. cable in a 90 angle, dipped it for 5 seconds in boiling water, then cold water, and the 90 bend became permanent.
    I can plug it into the housing and strobe without using a 90 shape plug. It should also work for other types of fiber optic cable. 

     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.