Skip to content

Classifieds / Archived topic

Group buy for 613 core fiber cable

Started by Bevanj ·

  • 121Posts
  • 121Replies

Read-only discussion

Group buy for 613 core fiber cable

121 posts
  1. Hi all, 

    The 613 core fiber cable used in most commercial fiber cables is actually pretty cheap per meter, but can only be bought in bulk (500M spool). 

    New fiber can be wound around a pencil, and be immersed in boiling water to produce the slinky coils before use. 

    I'm sure the fiber used in most Nauticam/Howshot/Sea&Sea cables is P/N MCQ-1500-22 made by Asahi Kasei in Japan. 

    With enough interest, it may be worth the group buy of a spool, and dividing it up. 

    As we all know, when fibers break, the connectors on the ends are still perfectly good. It is remarkably easy to put a new fiber into the old connectors. 

    A single spool of this fiber is in the realm of $1700USD ($3.4/m).  With enough people, we can save considerable money by buying a spool and reusing our old end connectors. 

    With 20 people, at $85 each (plus a little shipping), we would each get 25m of high quality fiber cable. 

    Even at 10 people and $170 each (plus a little shipping), it would give 50m of fiber each.  

    Given the price of replacement standard cables, this is a no-brainer in my mind. 


    Any takers? 

    Bevan

  2. 10 minutes ago, UncaDon said:

    Bevanj,

     

    You can buy this fiber by the meter from this supplier:

    https://i-fiberoptics.com/fiber-detail-asahi.php

     

     

    Yeah, that's what I did and it was $7.50 a meter. 

    Great idea from Bevanj and if I hadn't ordered it already from i-fibreoptics, I'd have been up for it. But I ordered 4 meters and made 4 cables (easy!) and doubt I'll ever need any more!

  3. I would be interested. 

  4. On 7/28/2021 at 4:50 AM, UncaDon said:

    Bevanj,

     

    You can buy this fiber by the meter from this supplier:

    https://i-fiberoptics.com/fiber-detail-asahi.php

     

     

    This company is in the same city where I live. What exact product did you order? 

    Thanks,

    Mark

  5. Hey Mark

    I got this from i-fiberoptics:

    81 0556 - 613-core Fused Multi-core Simplex Cable, Polyethylene Jacket- MCQ-1000 -  : 4 : 7.50 

    The 4 = 4m and the 7.50 = the  price per metre 

    Edited by TimG
  6. i-fiberoptics appears to be a good source for fiber optic cable.  One can then plug the cable into the housing and strobe with 7 mm diam. plug ends from Amazon, which can be glued on with ABS plumbers cement and trimmed with a razor: The plugs are available here:
    uxcell 20pcs 27mmx7mmx4mm Micro Strain Relief Cord Boot Protector

    With them one has budget priced fiberoptic cables.

     

     

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  7. 3 hours ago, TimG said:

    Hey Mark

    I got this from i-fiberoptics:

    81 0556 - 613-core Fused Multi-core Simplex Cable, Polyethylene Jacket- MCQ-1000 -  : 4 : 7.50 

    The 4 = 4m and the 7.50 = the  price per metre 

    Thanks Tim

  8. 1 hour ago, Mark Green said:

    Thanks Tim

    :good:

  9. I measured the core of a Nauticam cable and got 1.5mm rather than 1mm. Are either of the cables above  the best cable for the job?

    Edited by JohnLiddiard
  10. John, I'm using the i-fibreoptics with Retra strobes.

    Got about a 50cm long cable with Howshot L-adaptors at the housing bulkhead end; and the Inon double bush plugs at the Retra end. Works fine.

  11. I have made coils from many of the Asahi cables. All for use with LED firing modules and S&S strobes. The 613 and 217 core both work perfectly There is a 1.5 mm core 613 fiber but not available by the meter from i-fiberoptics (at least today).

    Bill

  12. As for the group buy, 50 meters of cable is a lot unless you are going into business (although I admit I probably have bought more than 50 meters if you add up all the cables that don't work. For most situations, 2 meters is a good cable length if you coil it so 10 meters would make 5 cables. If you do coil it, I have found that putting it in cold water then heating to just boiling then letting it cool (all the way to room temp) works best.

     

    Cheers

    Bill

  13. On 7/28/2021 at 5:09 AM, Bevanj said:

    Hi all, 

    The 613 core fiber cable used in most commercial fiber cables is actually pretty cheap per meter, but can only be bought in bulk (500M spool). 

    New fiber can be wound around a pencil, and be immersed in boiling water to produce the slinky coils before use. 

    I'm sure the fiber used in most Nauticam/Howshot/Sea&Sea cables is P/N MCQ-1500-22 made by Asahi Kasei in Japan. 

    With enough interest, it may be worth the group buy of a spool, and dividing it up. 

    As we all know, when fibers break, the connectors on the ends are still perfectly good. It is remarkably easy to put a new fiber into the old connectors. 

    A single spool of this fiber is in the realm of $1700USD ($3.4/m).  With enough people, we can save considerable money by buying a spool and reusing our old end connectors. 

    With 20 people, at $85 each (plus a little shipping), we would each get 25m of high quality fiber cable. 

    Even at 10 people and $170 each (plus a little shipping), it would give 50m of fiber each.  

    Given the price of replacement standard cables, this is a no-brainer in my mind. 


    Any takers? 

    Bevan

    Is a 213 core good enough to use ??

     

    Thanks

     

    Diggy

  14. even though i got some cable, i would also join the group buy. So count me in for 50 m or 25 m, both is fine. 

  15. I'm with Michael. It's a terrific idea Bevan, so I'd take 20m to support the effort.

  16. On 8/3/2021 at 7:39 PM, pbalves said:

    Hi Diggy

    This is not the same fiber. THis has only 19 cores, the "good one" has 613 cores.

    Thanks I realised after studying this a bit more :-) 

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.