Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam WACP-C

Started by dreifish ·

  • 249Posts
  • 249Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam WACP-C

249 posts
  1. Hello Everyone,

    We will add a 29.3mm Port Adaptor to our lineup for using the WACP-C with the Nikon 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5.

    A very minor issue is that at the widest angle (the lens zoomed to 28mm) and focused to a subject closer than 10cm from the front element of the port, a very very slight vignette (almost invisible) may appear at one of the corners.

    Edward

  2. Now in Filitheyo and using A7IV, 28-60 and WACP-C. Clearly a no-brainer but my ability to set camera and flash correctly has room for improvement. 
    ISO 100, f6,3, SF01 on level 4 or 5 is often ok… but not always. only snorkeling and Freediving down to 15m. Light changes every second you go deeper. 
     

    I‘ll show pictures as soon as I am home. 
     

    neoprene cover: using the leg piece of an old shorty. Works well. 

  3. We are headed to Socorro next week with both the WWL-1b (on a Sony A7SIII for video and A1 for stills), and a WAPC (on a Canon 5DSR). We are also bringing the N100 extension so we should be able to compare the WAPC with the WWL-1b on the Sony A1. However, I doubt we’ll be able to do the kind of more controlled tests that we could do at a place, like Bonaire. So our takeaways may be subjective, but hopefully we’ll at least come away with some useful impressions.

    Edited by jplaurel
  4. 33 minutes ago, jplaurel said:

    We are headed to Socorro next week with both the WWL-1b (on a Sony A7SIII for video and A1 for stills), and a WAPC (on a Canon 5DSR). We are also bringing the N100 extension so we should be able to compare the WAPC with the WWL-1b on the Sony A1. However, I doubt we’ll be able to do the kind of more controlled tests that we could do at a place, like Bonaire. So our takeaways may be subjective, but hopefully we’ll at least come away with some useful impressions.

    Have a great trip. Hopefully you are routing through Mexico City so you can avoid the SJD customs officials with all those cameras. 

  5. 4 hours ago, Alex_Mustard said:

    Have a great trip. Hopefully you are routing through Mexico City so you can avoid the SJD customs officials with all those cameras. 

    Thanks Alex! We live in Seattle, so it’s a straight 4-hour shot to Cabo. Going through Mexico City would make it a whole day thing.

    We already got hit for the tax in December, so we have all the paperwork that should cover us for 12 months.

    It took some good-natured negotiation, but we ended up paying about $200 for a Nauticam Sony A1 housing, and another for the 5DSR housing. I’m hoping that will be the baseline for when we have to pay again next year.

    Edited by jplaurel
  6. Hi guys! I've just came back from Tiger Beach and had an amazing time photographing exclusively with the WACP-C. I'm using it in a Hugyfot housing with the Saga port adapter, tailored to perfectly match the Nikon 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5.

    I've been able to use the full zoom range. As Edward Lai mentioned on his previous post though (regarding the new port adapter Nauticam is designing), an issue is that zoomed down to 28mm and focused at a subject touching the front element of the WACP, a very slight vignette shows up in the corners. During this trip I've never shot under this circumstances (shooting @28mm I'm photographing as wide as possibile with subjects within a certain distance, not touching the dome) and this issue was never a problem.

    The overall image quality is very good, I'm happy with the sharpness and contrast. To me, the main benefits of this combo in comparison to a dome port solution are:

    1) Flexibility: paired with the 28-70mm the WACP-C gives an enormous zoom range. While that doesn't compensate for an incorrect tecniche (as we all know it "get close to your subject" is paramount in underwater photography) the zoom capabilities allowed me to compose much better zooming in and out as if I was on land. It allowed me to fill the frame with the subject and to keep undesired divers, bubbles or fins out of the corners of the frame.

    2) Transportability: I've packed everything, housing, camera, WACP-C, 180mm dome port, 2 Nikon lenses, 2 Retra strobes and all accessories (batteries, charges, fibers, etc) in a Thinktank backpack. With the 230mm dome that would be impossible.

    3) Less drag: my rig is much more compact now and have less drag underwater hence I'm able to respond and compose faster while shooting, which translates in less lost opportunities specially for fast moving subjects.

    I won't enter the corner sharpness discussion. To my observation on the field (not on a controlled test environment) the results are pretty good. One characteristic of the WACP-C that may be an issue depending on the shot is that it flares while shooting straight at the sun. The flares are not ugly and may also be used creatively.

    Below I share with you some WACP-C photos

    700696397_IMG_77132.thumb.jpg.a9b0f247196018901992672c8b04a697.jpg

    _D852626.thumb.jpg.22047a30ed3cd353723a60df37d604c3.jpg

    _D853075.thumb.jpg.a54d6828ccf4ac794a110027ed6dff30.jpg

    _D853396.thumb.jpg.c8b0548a173da2c03198be8732ed0620.jpg

  7. On 3/14/2023 at 11:49 AM, roberto.formiga said:

    Hi guys! I've just came back from Tiger Beach and had an amazing time photographing exclusively with the WACP-C. I'm using it in a Hugyfot housing with the Saga port adapter, tailored to perfectly match the Nikon 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5.

    I've been able to use the full zoom range. As Edward Lai mentioned on his previous post though (regarding the new port adapter Nauticam is designing), an issue is that zoomed down to 28mm and focused at a subject touching the front element of the WACP, a very slight vignette shows up in the corners. During this trip I've never shot under this circumstances (shooting @28mm I'm photographing as wide as possibile with subjects within a certain distance, not touching the dome) and this issue was never a problem.

    The overall image quality is very good, I'm happy with the sharpness and contrast. To me, the main benefits of this combo in comparison to a dome port solution are:

    1) Flexibility: paired with the 28-70mm the WACP-C gives an enormous zoom range. While that doesn't compensate for an incorrect tecniche (as we all know it "get close to your subject" is paramount in underwater photography) the zoom capabilities allowed me to compose much better zooming in and out as if I was on land. It allowed me to fill the frame with the subject and to keep undesired divers, bubbles or fins out of the corners of the frame.

    2) Transportability: I've packed everything, housing, camera, WACP-C, 180mm dome port, 2 Nikon lenses, 2 Retra strobes and all accessories (batteries, charges, fibers, etc) in a Thinktank backpack. With the 230mm dome that would be impossible.

    3) Less drag: my rig is much more compact now and have less drag underwater hence I'm able to respond and compose faster while shooting, which translates in less lost opportunities specially for fast moving subjects.

    I won't enter the corner sharpness discussion. To my observation on the field (not on a controlled test environment) the results are pretty good. One characteristic of the WACP-C that may be an issue depending on the shot is that it flares while shooting straight at the sun. The flares are not ugly and may also be used creatively.

    Below I share with you some WACP-C photos

    700696397_IMG_77132.thumb.jpg.a9b0f247196018901992672c8b04a697.jpg

    _D852626.thumb.jpg.22047a30ed3cd353723a60df37d604c3.jpg

    _D853075.thumb.jpg.a54d6828ccf4ac794a110027ed6dff30.jpg

    _D853396.thumb.jpg.c8b0548a173da2c03198be8732ed0620.jpg

    Nice shots, Roberto. Glad to hear the WAPC worked out for you. We just got back from the Revillagigedos, and my wife used the WAPC with her 5DSR and the EF 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 V, and she loved it. I was using the WWL-1b with the 28-60 for video and I brought the N100 extension so I could use the WAPC, but never got around to it. I’ll post some video shortly.

  8. Yep, nice pics, Roberto - especially the last one.

     Really good that you like your new system. Long may that be the case!

     

  9. Not exactly the same, but some recent shots with the Canon R5C, WACP-1 and EF 28-70 F3.5-4.5 lens. Jupiter, Florida (other side of the Bahamas channel ;))

     

    IMG_2972.thumb.jpg.e8380b9747b5e7108b04d76383dd9c49.jpgIMG_3156.thumb.jpg.7fb7fe888cea73fa0e4f7e066b847b57.jpgIMG_3161.thumb.jpg.ce88fea1d163d0546c99704fc735e6b2.jpgIMG_3115.thumb.jpg.1bf13b61d05ff7407f02f6eec7ee4347.jpgIMG_3156.thumb.jpg.7fb7fe888cea73fa0e4f7e066b847b57.jpgIMG_3164.thumb.jpg.c17f2cb9c97190125fd20cdf3bbf3447.jpgIMG_2790.thumb.jpg.a96693356fd88d04d47d86e4040179b1.jpgIMG_3204.thumb.jpg.6d27acf4cb0470e775b536ef5df2496d.jpg

    IMG_2920.jpg

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.