No worries.
I don’t have the TG6, only the TG5, but it’s fairly similar (though the TG6 has improved one major aspect, having 4K movie accessible in all modes, including microscope mode).
I played around with the TG5 for video when I was working in Komodo in 2019, trying wide angle video and also doing long macro dives and found it frustrating enough to give up after a few tries.
My feedback on TG5 for video would be:
- - battery life is pretty dreadful when shooting video
- - camera ergonomics are not ideal for video
- - For wide angle, there’s no real option to lock focus efficiently, and the autofocus is not good, lots of tracking, including big subjects like a manta ray in relatively clear water
- - Manual white balance is not great (I tried with filters as well)
- - Lack of manual control – you can control aperture to some degree, but shutter speed is autoshutter
Now for macro video, focus lock works better, and you can use focus assist / peaking. It’s not the best, but it works.
The TG series’s famed macro / microscope mode for stills is a very well designed digital zoom, and that works for video.
You will get reduced depth of field, and with good lighting (LED rings work well with the TG series), you can get some interesting results for macro, and it certainly is great fun for macro stills (check out what this Tulamben guide is doing with a TG4 and a torch).
To give you an idea video wise, I edited a short clip in Palau of a nudi shot handheld on the TG6 by one of the guides: https://youtu.be/bpkLqXppRo0 ) I think he had an LED light ring on his TG6.
So it works, but you will have to deal with limited manual control and short battery life. Most people shoot stills with the TG, and take only a couple of clips here and there. For video only, it's difficult.
Image quality is what it is, the sensor is the same size as a GoPro's, and it’s a digital zoom.
To return to your question, I much prefer macro on the LX10 than on the TG.
Better image quality, full manual control, it’s really nice.
I’ll work on some shots from the last macro session I did and post that so you can see (critters were really small and I didn’t have a strong diopter, and hadn’t shot macro in a while, but still got some nice footage).
The digital zoom on the LX10 is also nice – not as powerful as on the TG, but good enough to save shots without strong diopters - it does reduce image quality, so diopters would be the way to go though.
- The Ikelite would be a good choice for buoyancy, but I’ve heard the ergonomics are dreadful (have you seen this two-part review? (spoiler alert, he ended up switching to a Nauticam housing)
https://youtu.be/bRU4d5k686s
https://youtu.be/dhCA7MCpS78
The Nauticam housing is well made and really nice to use, and I managed to DIY a quadripod for the Nauticam Felixtray (see https://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?/topic/68127-any-ideas-on-how-to-build-attach-a-tripod-system-for-a-nauticam-flexitray/ )which is great for macro video.
- Regarding the G7X, I kind of gave up on it because of the manual white balance ergonomics on newer models and lack of 4K on the older ( https://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?/topic/68362-custom-white-balance-on-canon-g7xmark-iii/ ) and also because I couldn’t really find convincing reviews / footage for UW video.
This is a reccurent problem - on the action cam front, I was considering upgrading my GoPro7 to an Osmo Action 3, but can't find any proper UW footage...
Hope this helps!
Cheers
b