Aloha from Oahu

Hello people. I resisted joining this site because ... it's another site we have to invest time and effort.

I'm based in Oahu, currently working too much so not diving as often as I'd like. My little group of dive buddies tends towards a single weekend shore dive at various locations depending on surf. Recently picked up DPV diving, which gives a different experience to our usual dive sites. Sadly, the DPV makes carrying around a full frame camera and strobes a bit difficult.

I'm a former photojournalist. I worked at the Associated Press in Los Angeles, Phnom Penh and New Delhi; The Seattle Times, LA Times, Detroit Free Press and the Dallas Morning News. I cut my teeth at the late, great Dallas Times Herald, with its wonderful Pulitzer Prize-winning photographers. I'm a life-long Canon user (FD, EF), and really only starting using autofocus after I left journalism and started using mirrorless cameras about 2010. Shooting Sony now.

• Like 4

Hey humu9679! Welcome to Waterpixels and thanks for joining. We really hope you find it a good use of your time. The only reason to set it up was because of the uncertainty surrounding “the other forum”. We really did not want to risk losing this community. Good to have you with us. 

Thanks Tim. I wasn't sure what was happening with the parallel site. I do appreciate this tight and mostly thoughtful community. I also quite like that people come to underwater photography from so many places. Foreign service? Chemical engineering? Love it.

Yeah, none of us are sure what’s happening with the other site. Other than seemingly nothing. Slowly grinding down….

You're right, this is an eclectic and quite amazing community. Rocket scientist or brain surgeon, anyone? 

• Like 1