14mm rectilinear Lens Guide - the true must have UW lens? More important than FE lenses or WCAP, WWL, FCP etc. ?

6 hours ago, DreiFish said:

If anything, it's harder to compose your shot to hide/minimize the pincushion distortion at the edges with video than it is with stills.

I've shot video extensively with the 14-35 L and have used it frequently at 14mm.  What I really run into isn't the problem with pincushion distortion but depth of field.  I want the back ground in focus and that means I either need to use a really small aperture or be slightly farther away from my main subject.  Often that works out OK but then I find the corners distracting as they appear blurry and in a way that looks more like a mistake than an artistic choice.  Zooming in just a weee bit (like to 16mm) means that I find it easier to compose and not find the depth of field distracting from the image I like to create.  Most of this was shot at 14mm:

The exception to the 14mm was the ctenaphone (which was shot with a gopro...).  You can see what I mean with the shot of the baby fish hanging out on the plates of ice.  It looks like my focus was way off, but really the bottom of the frame was super close and out of the depth of field meaning I was not happy with the shot.  I've tried dialing this in using manual focus and focus peaking but it just never comes together perfectly in my opinion (hence me starting the fisheye thread) whereas it is a bit easier at 16mm because the subjects at the bottom are just farther away from the dome.  (This was shot through a 230mm dome, FYI)

• Like 3

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.