Nauticam Macro Port Glass Replacement

Hi Brains Trust!

Cannot find on google. Just bought replacement glass for my Nauticam Macro Port 87 - any tips on removing and replacing? Not as easy as I thought - trouble removing existing o-ring to get the old glass out?

Cheers

John

If we get an answer to this, I'll pin it. It'd be really useful.

I saw it done some years ago when I worked in Lembeh. Shen, one of the techies from Reef Photo, replaced the glass on one of my Subal ports.

It took him about 10 minutes to get the old glass out using a modified cut-down dental pick plus an approx 4" lever he'd made out of thick acrylic - or polycarbonate. It looked like a push bike tyre lever. It was one of those pick-pull-lever-curse-pick-lever-mutter-lever-bingo manoeuvres.  Popping the new glass in took seconds. It was very impressive!

I scrounged the lever and pick off him in exchange for free diving..... I've never done it myself though. Probably just as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

did`nt do it on a Nauticam Macroport. But I replaced glass on a Hugy Macroport and removed one on my Seacamport. I pushed out the glass from behind with something suitable. (I used a hammerhandle).It take some strenght and you must be careful that the you push the glas out parallel to the port housing. Getting old stuff out is usually harder than mount the new one. Use new O-Ring some grease and mount the new one is usually easier to handle with less force. Again be careful mount the glas parallel to port housing.

BR Markus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There was a post describing this on the old forum as I recall but the search function is not being co-operative.  As I recall the process is to push out the old glass, possibly gouging out the old o-ring. 

Note which side is up!

Place new glass in place, grease the new o-ring place in groove and start to work around the port pushing in the o-ring till it is seated, using a blunt soft tool.  This is what I recall, but do you think I can find the post ?!?!

Did you try asking the supplier for an installation guide?

• Like 2

Hi,

looked at my Nauticam port. Same installation of glass as Seacam & Hugy. Install big phase on the glass outside/waterside. I`m no native speaker and my english is not the best to explain the procedure. Might be it helps.

VG Markus

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris Ross said:

As I recall the process is to push out the old glass, possibly gouging out the old o-ring. 

This is my recollection of how mine was done. I think having a new o-ring available is important. The old one may well be damaged during the extraction process - especially if you use a dental pick!

Thank you all… replacement came with new oring, good as i cannot see how i could remove without damaging it. Appreciate the responses I will let you know how it goes after the weekend. Cheers

It would be good if someone could take pics of you in action removing that glass, John. The strained expression, the frustration, the torn knuckles, the beads of sweat...... capturing that FFS look?

• Haha 2

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.