Recommended Backscatter HF-1 Diffuser for Hawaiian waters.

Aloha Waterpixelers,

Has anyone shot the Backscatter HF-1’s in Hawaiian waters?  Ideally off Kona.  I’m trying to determine the best colored diffuser for the waters here, so if you have feedback or samples with the 5500 or 4500 diffusers you’d like to share, I’d appreciate it.

Thank you!

• Like 2

No direct experience, but Hawaiian waters are generally pretty clear, blue water territory. I'd start experimenting with the flat 5500k or flat 4500k diffusers, those are probably your best bet.

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2024 at 5:35 AM, DreiFish said:

No direct experience, but Hawaiian waters are generally pretty clear, blue water territory. I'd start experimenting with the flat 5500k or flat 4500k diffusers, those are probably your best bet.

Thanks for your advice. I tested the Flat white 6300k diffusers on a few dives.  They are a just a bit too cold for my taste, but not extremely so.  Flat 5500k diffusers ordered.

Here is a shot, straight out of camera with no adjustments, using the 5500k diffusers.  Shot taken facing East at ~1:30PM in partly cloudy sky at 78' depth.  1/200 sec at f/16, ISO 125, WB 5500K (RF14-35mm at 15mm).  The background water is a bit dark, but I think the blue tone is what I was looking for.

6B0A5471.jpg

• Thanks 1

It’s definitely personal taste, but Alex Mustard just used them in the Red Sea.  He liked the flat 4500 degree (warm) filters best for blue water.  He felt the similar dome filters cut too much light and that the flat filters had a nice coverage.  Again, it’s all personal taste.

Edited by ChipBPhoto
  • Like 2

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.