RF 15-35 mm 2.8 L - Anyone using? Is this Seafrogs kit good??

The issue with full-frame bodies and a rectilinear lens of that range is the size of the dome and the degree to which you are happy with blurry corners.

Unless there is something unusual about the RF15-35 lens design (and I'm not a user) a 6" dome is very small indeed for that type of rectilinear dome.

As you may well have read on lots of posts, rectilinear lanes are best used with big domes. 8" are sort of ok-ish, 9" better. But lots of folks use even 9" domes with a Sea&Sea correction lens. All of this to achieve corners that they find acceptably sharp.

My experience has been with the Nikon 16-35 on full frame. Using an 8" dome produced corners which I thought blurry; a 9" dome was much better but still not corner-sharp. I would not even try with a 6" dome. I gave up in the end as cost, transportability and IQ just became not worthwhile - and went with a Sigma 15mm FE. Problems solved! 

I can't offer any thoughts on the SeaFrogs combination. Maybe they have a magic formula for over-coming the issue.......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stillviking said:

Thanks for feedback @TimG. Unfortunately, although they recommend this combination on the website, they don't have any examples and couldn't find it online to see if it works well.

Hmmmmmm...... no examples eh? Be wary.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2024 at 8:09 PM, stillviking said:

Thanks for feedback @TimG. Unfortunately, although they recommend this combination on the website, they don't have any examples and couldn't find it online to see if it works well.

Sea Frogs is a you get what you pay for situation, dome and extension choice is limited.  The setup will take photos and generally work as you expect but the image quality may vary depending on which lens combination you are looking at.  The min focus distance is 28cm and the Nauticam port charts recommend a 230mm dome, there is every indication that that lens needs the big dome to give its best.

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.